boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
AN HI Moni yes it is turning into a bit of an epic is'nt it what with the leds now bein fitted in but a lot more still to be fitted an im worryied about fitting this bridge glass in as when gluein it i will have only one try to get it right an if i get it wrong it will be a disarter as the bridge area is on a ship the most looked at area ive found when its bein veiwed by the general public in shows so finger crossed an i will have to have a few practice trys on fitting this glass in
ATB to you an thanks for lookin in on the build Moni as im pleased you are intrested in it
chris
... what's not to be interested in Tim - it's a riveting blend of imagination, planning, preparation and execution! I love the detail work!
Steve

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris
Superb work. This really is an amazing build. So much planning and time. I'm very impressed indeed.
Jim
HI Jim cheers for your kind comments an yes there is a lot of planning involded in this build as what to do next an how that will effect on what i want to do in the future an yes a bit of planning i missed out on has come back to bite me on the bottom an thats fitting in the window glass in the bridges as when i built the bridges i had to fit a lip on the bottom section of the bridges for the top section with the windows to butted up against it an glue them

but now ive found that when i fit the glass in due to the lip the glass will not be a tight fit an snug against the window bars its only about a half a mm but still will be a gap so ive had to go inside the bridges an try an file the lips down an then sand them smooth an now i think ive done it thank goodness as i will be fittin in the glass in the next few days but a few trail fits first
cheers for lookin in
ATB chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Great stuff Chris. Bridge is looking splendid.
HI Tim yes im pleased with that bridge an how its turned out just got to hope the glass will fit ok an i get no glue smuges as i was thinking of usein that clear glue to fix the glass in but i dont think it will be any good as when it gets damp or wet which it may then the glue lose adheshion an goes all white so no good as i found this out when i was trying to fit glass in my first lot of portholes for the hull an i left the glue to dry for a few days an then splashed water on them like they would get when sailing an then the glass fell out an glue went white so i had to then buy the more exspensive brass ones but a better class of portholes which ive fitted in an these are water proff just goes to show that not every idea works out an thank you for havin a look at the build
ATB Chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
... what's not to be interested in Tim - it's a riveting blend of imagination, planning, preparation and execution! I love the detail work!
Steve
AN HI Steve oh i love your big words wow an yes its all of the above alright an still a heck of a lot of this still to come as im only able to do a little building work each day as yes its the planning to try an make sure im doin it all in the right order eg. as when i fit a bit on will that be in the way of some future bit that has to be fitted an then all the time studying all 6 plans takes up a fair amount of time as they are so big an to make life easyier for me ive had to cut them down insize as they are about 10 ft long an again cheers for havin a look see Steve
ATB Chris

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
AN HI Moni yes it is turning into a bit of an epic is'nt it what with the leds now bein fitted in but a lot more still to be fitted an im worryied about fitting this bridge glass in as when gluein it i will have only one try to get it right an if i get it wrong it will be a disarter as the bridge area is on a ship the most looked at area ive found when its bein veiwed by the general public in shows so finger crossed an i will have to have a few practice trys on fitting this glass in
ATB to you an thanks for lookin in on the build Moni as im pleased you are intrested in it
chris
it is an epic built,and ta for explaining all,you will be good with the bridge glass fitting just tact and make sure all is good before sealing it in
good luck with it you will do fine,look forward to next update
cheers

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Lovely bridge and lighting Chris, I didn't even notice the gap you mentioned or is it not put in being a green glaze.
Wondered why it's called a bridge...is it because you can get from one side of the ship to another?

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
it is an epic built,and ta for explaining all,you will be good with the bridge glass fitting just tact and make sure all is good before sealing it in
good luck with it you will do fine,look forward to next update
cheers
AN HI AGAIN Moni lovely to see you an cheers for your good wishes on that bridge glass Moni an you have built up my confidence no end an yes thats a good idea of just tacting it to make sure its fits right as if its wrong then hopefully i can remove it an try again with a new bit of glass but its gonna be a nerve wrackin time to get both these bridge glasses in both bridges to fit proberly an no glue smears thats my nightmare as there is not a lot of room to work in as i'll have to ues twezzers to place the glass in place as these bridges may look big in the pics but in real they are quite confined spaces as yes i can get my fingers into the bridges but then i cant see what im doin on the glass Aaaaaaccchhhhh
ATB chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Lovely bridge and lighting Chris, I didn't even notice the gap you mentioned or is it not put in being a green glaze.
Wondered why it's called a bridge...is it because you can get from one side of the ship to another?

Cheers,
Richard
AN HI Richard glad you like the bridges lights as i must admit the tiny 2mm led's were a nightmare to fit in the bridges roofs as the wires kept flickin about an the insulating coating on these wires just wont glue in place easy as when i held the wires in place to glue with super glue the little wires just kept comin off an in the end had to glue the wires an hold them in place an the spray in exccellerent an then that got them an:thinking: a third arm would be very handy indeed lol :rolling: :smiling: AN YOU SAY
Wondered why it's called a bridge...is it because you can get from one side of the ship to another? honestly Richard i dont know an answer to that as ive never thought of it in that way an thats a very instresting qeustion you have bought up there an i think i'll ask Dave ward as he was in the merchant navy on ships for yrs so we may get an answer to that as i'll P/M him on that qeustion as youve got me goin now an it could have been called a look out post or steerin area but bridge it got called an its stuck
THANKS for lookin in an your instrest an question
ATB chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Again Richard an a answer to your QUESTION about why is it called a bridge an yes you are right
AN HERE BELOW IS Dave wards answer
It dates back to the early days of steam - paddle steamers - the paddles were the widest part of the ship, amidships. The protective paddle boxes stuck up above the deck, and obcured vision from the traditional aft conning position, and to allow the captain to be able to get from one side to another & see, a bridge was added, joining the two boxes. Soon, a charthouse would be added............ It was obviously a massive improvement, so it was continued on, when paddles were replaced by screws.
Before, in the age of sail, the ship was conned from aft, from the quarterdeck, next to the ships' wheel & where all the sails could be seen in one glance.
Dave

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
HI Again Richard an a answer to your QUESTION about why is it called a bridge an yes you are right
AN HERE BELOW IS Dave wards answer
It dates back to the early days of steam - paddle steamers - the paddles were the widest part of the ship, amidships. The protective paddle boxes stuck up above the deck, and obcured vision from the traditional aft conning position, and to allow the captain to be able to get from one side to another & see, a bridge was added, joining the two boxes. Soon, a charthouse would be added............ It was obviously a massive improvement, so it was continued on, when paddles were replaced by screws.
Before, in the age of sail, the ship was conned from aft, from the quarterdeck, next to the ships' wheel & where all the sails could be seen in one glance.
Dave
Hi Chris, thanks for getting the answer and it definitely makes sense and it only happened after sails were no longer the norm on ships.

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris, thanks for getting the answer and it definitely makes sense and it only happened after sails were no longer the norm on ships.

Cheers,
Richard
HI Richard very well done for asking that question as ive really never thought to ask it as i just took it for granted that it was always called the bridge but you bein of an inqizsative nature went an asked an ive like you learnt somthing today keep the question comin boyo well done
hope you an your family are all well
chris an jen

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Amazing progress so far Chris! Well done! :thumb2:
Steven
OH NICE to see you Steven on here an glad you are likeing what you see of the build an its now getting complicaited as im fitting out these two bridges an fitting in the glass an today ive done the bottom one but got the shakes so had to stop for a rest it only comes on when im really concentrating maybe im tryin to hard
ATB TO YOU
CHRIS

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I've just had a catch up Chris, my word things have moved on.
Love the bridge lighting, good move in fitting them.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
I've just had a catch up Chris, my word things have moved on.
Love the bridge lighting, good move in fitting them.
HI John yes ive been stickin in an then went down ill for nr three months an im now back on it this wk an yes its comin on as if i dont get stuck in i'll never finish it an its now getting complex what with fittin in lights an such an ive only just realised i hav'nt fitted the navigation lights on as ive got them made up an all ready to fit them but one problem i cant find that safe place where ive put them so will be searching again oh dear an many thanks for all the likes well tomorrow i'll be fittin in the green glass in the top bridge as ive done the bottom breidge today an im near a nervous wreck be glad if the top lot work out ok
any way soon get to meet you at model show as this will be the first one in nr 3 yrs an im bringing my camera to take loads of piccys for rick richard an all the guys
atb chris

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
AN HI AGAIN Moni lovely to see you an cheers for your good wishes on that bridge glass Moni an you have built up my confidence no end an yes thats a good idea of just tacting it to make sure its fits right as if its wrong then hopefully i can remove it an try again with a new bit of glass but its gonna be a nerve wrackin time to get both these bridge glasses in both bridges to fit proberly an no glue smears thats my nightmare as there is not a lot of room to work in as i'll have to ues twezzers to place the glass in place as these bridges may look big in the pics but in real they are quite confined spaces as yes i can get my fingers into the bridges but then i cant see what im doin on the glass Aaaaaaccchhhhh
ATB chris
morning Chris i think you have it coved and will be fine you seam to know how to handy it and what your doing
good luck ;)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
morning Chris i think you have it coved and will be fine you seam to know how to handy it and what your doing
good luck ;)
:thinking: :anguished:WOW Moni i wish i had that much confidence in meself as what you seem to have in me as yes i know what an how to do the job of fitting in the glass in them bridges its just that if i get the shakes when im trying to hard as i hold my breath an all it takes is just one tiny drop of C/A to land on what would be a window pane an its disarter but jen has been helping me by holding my wrist an steadying me if i get the shakes an weve done the jobs like this before on tiger build

BUT yesterday jen was out sunbathing an (makin her jewelry neclaces an bracelets an ear rings) an i dint want to distube her so i managed on my own on fittin in the bridge glass on the hardest bridge an the glass has gone in ok but then by the time id done that on came the shakes so i stopped what i was doin as these bridges are the most critical parts of this whole build AN MUST BE RIGHT as i dont want to have to scrap both bridges as they took a fair while to build them
AN CHEERS Moni for you lookin in on the build an for you givin me confidence in my self that i can do it many thanks
ATB TO YOU
chris an jen