boatman's 1/72 HMS Tiger C20 build

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris, looks wonderful with the paint on. You can hardly tell what medium was used under all of that. Details very neat so I guess the starboard side is the photogenic side but your explanation sums up why its this side and not the port.

Cheers,
Richard
AN HI Richard yes she is now looking good an im pleased at her all painted up but still a lot more painting to do on her an yes whenever i build my ships i always decide that the starboard side will be the show side ( an if any one which has happend several times a photographer with a big fancy camera comes up an asks to take pics in models shows) wants to photograph the port side i just stand back an say help yourself
ATB to you Richard an yours
chris an jen

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
A meeting was called this evening by myself to bring to the attention of the committee. this build .
There have been very few times in which an award has been made to a part finished model . Considering the amount of skills required in a multitude of disciplines and the shear complexity it has been agreeded to award Chris and Jen with the .
View attachment 437015
Congratulations to both of you and Snowball .
OH HI John this is totally unexspected getting the dogs award again many thanks an for your wonderfull post an i an jen an snowball lol feel unworthy of this wonderfull award lol but cheers for this as this will keep me ploughing away at the build for as long as it takes to fineally get her to the seaworthy state to sail her an do you know why a ship is called a she its because when she enters harbour she always heads for the bouys lol
chris jen an snowball lol

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
HI Jack thanks for the nice comment why do i just show the starboard side in a show well the reason being that that im a left to right person so the bow will be on my left when i put her on a show table an then it conectets up with the stern end on the right of me an it easy for me to fit the hull jiont butter fly nuts as im right handed an all the switchs are on the port side nearest to me so i can switch the eletrics on an off easyier without havin to walk around to the other side of the model in a model show with people lookin at the model but i could show the port side if i wanted to but more awkward for me hows that Jack does that answer your question ?
cheers for lookin in Jack
chris
Yes very well answered. I wondered if there were Starboard details that maybe aren't on the port side. But very logical!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Chris
I look at the wiring and I'm amazed that you know what goes where. You must be very logical and organized.
If it does take another 2 years then it will be time well spent and we'll have another 2 years to enjoy this incredible build.
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Chris
I look at the wiring and I'm amazed that you know what goes where. You must be very logical and organized.
If it does take another 2 years then it will be time well spent and we'll have another 2 years to enjoy this incredible build.
Jim
HI Jim well i dont know about logical and organized. yes i said above i think logical above as a joke but i think how the build should go is in stages thats the best i can exsplain it an yes it will be an enjoyable 2 yrs but may be qiucker as at the moment im now fitting in her wirein all 44 wires an so far im nr half done in the stern section in just a day so im speeding along BUT i knew there would be a BUT somewhere here lol BUT something will happen an slow me down it always does somewhere along the build journey
ATB jim
chris

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
There must come a time when you surely want to finish this Chris. Don't think many of us could find the enthusiasm to build something like this and keep up the momentum.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
There must come a time when you surely want to finish this Chris. Don't think many of us could find the enthusiasm to build something like this and keep up the momentum.
HI AN G/M John yes there will come a time when i will say finito but that will be when i have fitted on her all her parts of the details that i can an as i said earlyier in this build to one of the other guys on here to me its like say building a load of kits nr all different an getting things to work thats the enthusiasm an momentum that keeps me movein on any of my builds that i have done but wont have to worry about enthusiasm an momentum after this build as i think this will be my last build as getting to old to do another an if i do it wont be a complete scratchbuild like this tiger but will be a grp hull job as thats nr 50% done before the build is even started how's that answer to your post above John ?
AN thanks for stoppin an a chat
ATB chris

• Love
Reactions: JR

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Just caught up again Chris, She is looking fantastic, and I'm sure you will show her off at a show at some point.
WELL HI Ian cheers for the nice comments an yes i hope to show her off in a show but when that will be lord knows due to this covid problem as the normal shows about 5 shows in a yr as some up norwich pond around here have all been canncelled due to this for over 2yrs now just got to hope that the shows will be on next yr an tiger hopefully will be well on her way to bein finished as i can put her in as a unfinished model an a note to the pulic to exsplain that the model is still in build state as i did that with my big NIMITZ if i remember rightly
CHEERS for your post Ian an any more on them thunderbirds ?
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI ALL well another update on whats happening on her
an its taken me 3 days of soldering all 44 wires to their mini plugs sockects so its 44 soldered jionts in the bow section plug sockects an 44 soldered jionts to the mini plug sockets stern section but i have now finished them accessoryies wireing thank god

so all in all 88 soldered wire jionts an what a marathon soldering job its been (phew ) would not want to do all them again in a hurry so the first pic is a shot of all 44 wires comin down into the hull from the hull jiont plug in the bow section as these wires pass under the front battery bay an the steam unit to be split up 24 wires on the straboard side an 20 wires on the port side an you may ask why 24 wires on one side an only 20 wires on the other side well its all to do with the mini plug sockects as they all have 4 pins in each so 4 wires to each plug sockect so it 6 x plug sockects on starb side for 24 wires an 5 x plug sockects on the port side with 20 wires so all in total wires is 44 wires hope you guys understand that best i can exsplain it
chrisIMG_6805.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an here a shot of the stern section of the hull with its wires comin in again the wires all split apart to 24 an 20 wires to suit the bow hull section hope it is 'nt to complex an again these wires will go in under the battt bay an off to where the mini sockeccts will be fitted for ease of knowing which wires are which they are all numbered IMG_6812.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an here are the little blighters them mini plug sockets all waiting to have their wires all soldered on but the good thing about these is if a fault develops in a unit then all i have to do is just unplug it an replace it with a good unit IMG_6806.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an here soldering on the tiny wires onto the sockects an so far ive done 3 wires an now doin no. 4 wire to complete the sockect an then it will be glued down on a bit of plasticard sheet which is then screwed down to the mountings so if i want it can be removered from the hull IMG_6807.JPG

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lots of wiring going on then Chris. I know you’ve numbered the wires for fault finding, but do you have a diagram or is it all in your head?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
here in the bow section the sockects have all had their wires soldered on an fitted down in place to recive their mini plugs that will take power to all the wires in the main hull bow secktion an one plug just fitted in place so i can see if it all looks ok an jen an i will be up in the model room this morn testing them wires an plugs to see if they will all carry power ok an i will be useing a circut tester an jen will be suppyling the power from a 12v battery at the other end of the hull IMG_6811.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Lots of wiring going on then Chris. I know you’ve numbered the wires for fault finding, but do you have a diagram or is it all in your head?
Wow, that croc clamp has seen better days LOL…….
AN G/M Tim no a wireing diagram would be to complex so its all in my head an yes that croc clip is about 30 odd yrs old an seen severall ship builds an while it works ok i'll keep useing it
cheers for lookin in
chris