Bob and his floating StuG. Again!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sorry folks, me again;)

Had to repaint the grey part of the hull, finish was shocking, so sanded and resprayed, much better.

Now yet another ??

When the hull is painted is it best to varnish to protect the paint from your maulers?

Or Can you get a cradle to mount the hull on as you add the superstruture etc, to avoid touching it much as possible

The kit one does hold the hull that securley

Thanks Bob

outrunner

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Just make a cradle out of some polystyrene foam and hold it on with some tape perhaps? I would pay no attention to me as I have never built a floaty thing.....yet, but I do have 2 under the bench and will start on the cheapy one soon first for practice.

Andy.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Morning Captain StuG.
Yes varnish the said thing, and as Steve has said let it dry well. While that is happening peruse the lastest copy of 4BO Monthly ( Available at all some corner shops ) and make the cradle.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YOURE on the right track boyo just listen to the guys an yes varnish the hull in matt an i know my tiger hull is shiny but it wont stay that way for long as the water will wheather the paint down good goin captain stug lol
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Bob. Varnish is your personal choice. As to holding the boat, look up packaging foam edge protectors and see if anything suits. You want something like a model locomotive servicing cradle ….see here…

You could make your own with strips of wood lined with upholstery foam strips but would have to have one side adjustable for width….

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Some good ideas chaps, apart from a certain magazine lol more chance of me watching Swansea play footy lol

Waiting for a price from a local foam supplier to supply a block with a slot big enough to take a Yamato!!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
All sorted

£13 for hopefully this, the very latest in CAD, no expense spared here:thumb2:
20210707_093451.jpg
Might be the start of a new job chance??

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just out of interest Bob, will it take anything smaller than 12cm? Just wondering because the slot is square sectioned so possibly won’t grip anything smaller than that. If the slot was 12cm at the bottom, but 10cm at the top (sloping sides to the cut out) it would hold ships over a range from 10 to 12cm wide.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just out of interest Bob, will it take anything smaller than 12cm? Just wondering because the slot is square sectioned so possibly won’t grip anything smaller than that. If the slot was 12cm at the bottom, but 10cm at the top (sloping sides to the cut out) it would hold ships over a range from 10 to 12cm wide.
Hi Tim

What i plan to do with smaller ships is to use some of Julies makeup foam wedges, ( she does not know yet, plan to 'borrow' a few every now and then lol )

And use bubble wrap as well

Bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hopefully it will protect the hull so i can add superstructure etc without touching or holding the hull.

It should take Yamato, but will see when i get it next week?

You can get another foam version but its for wooden ships, but at £13 and my state of the art CAD i cannot lose, forgot could lose £13 lol

Do not worry chaps, Dragon StuG B coming up soon, then a C/D, E and on and on lol

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hopefully it will protect the hull so i can add superstructure etc without touching or holding the hull.

It should take Yamato, but will see when i get it next week?

You can get another foam version but its for wooden ships, but at £13 and my state of the art CAD i cannot lose, forgot could lose £13 lol

Do not worry chaps, Dragon StuG B coming up soon, then a C/D, E and on and on lol
Bob have you gone off your trolly im sure you metioned a yamto but im sure i got that wrong
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
You have not lost the plot Chris

Bought Tamiya KGV, Bismarck and Yamato off a seller on ebay a good few yrs back, very cheap

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
You have not lost the plot Chris

Bought Tamiya KGV, Bismarck and Yamato off a seller on ebay a good few yrs back, very cheap
WOT all 1/350 kits of them ? i must be dreamin as im tired i'll have a look in the morning when i can think straight as im sure you keep saying YAMATO in there somewhere but no must be wrong

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
WOT all 1/350 kits of them ? i must be dreamin as im tired i'll have a look in the morning when i can think straight as im sure you keep saying YAMATO in there somewhere but no must be wrong
No Yamato it is, magnificent monster! Never seen on built on the site? I know Wouter was building the new Tamiya one but not seen much of him recently?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
BOB i;ll only beleive it with a pic please as you was havin a dindon on a small daring to only go to the biggest battleship goin im sure im dreamin im goin to bed good night an im sure i see in the morn GOOD NIGHT BOYO

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
BOB i;ll only beleive it with a pic please as you was havin a dindon on a small daring to only go to the biggest battleship goin im sure im dreamin im goin to bed good night an im sure i see in the morn GOOD NIGHT BOYO
BOB mate I DONT mean to cause you offence but im that tired i cant think straight but i thought it was a wind up as you have wound me up before lol
chris but to see you build a yamato woud be fantastic