BoB Group Build - Andrew's 1/72 Airfix Spitfire and 109 'Dogfight Doubles'

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So this is my submission for the Group Build. I've actually been working on these for a while on and off and I've almost finished the paint stage but it's the first time I've had to post some pictures.

These will only be the second and third planes I've build since coming back to the hobby six years ago and will be the first that I've used the AB on, so what can possibly go wrong???!!!?? :cold-sweat: Although I'm actually confident I can get it completed in time for once.

This set was a gift from a friend for helping out at his wedding and were the only appropriate kit in my stash. I won't be using the kits paints as I recently bought a the Vallejo WW2 RAF set.

I'll post details on the specific combat situation with the completed pictures.

Below are some pics although I forgot to take one of the 109 sprue. More pictures to follow shortly.

ATB

Andrew

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

41313272421_8892dd050f_b.jpg2018-04-08
_10-31-15

50136246236_6d4cd611f4_b.jpgIMG_20200720_101115

Last edited:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
It's a perfect choice!

Do the dogfight doubles still come with the double stand (used to be in black plastic) ?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
It's a perfect choice!

Do the dogfight doubles still come with the double stand (used to be in black plastic) ?
Hi Steve

This one did.

I've decided I'm going to use it but paint it in a skyish blue with faint white misting for a light cloud effect but also do the airfix badge in the proper airfix colours, just to do something with it. I'm going to let my son have it in his bedroom too.

Thanks for stopping by.

Andrew

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Hi Andrew,

I'll be watching this one too. I have recently been playing with a wing thingy myself. I'll just steal all of your tips to use....Of course, if you don't mind!

Prost
Allen

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
This should be fun Andrew :smiling3:.

Hopefully but then given my lack of experience with wingy things maybe not.... ;)
Hi Andrew,

I'll be watching this one too. I have recently been playing with a wing thingy myself. I'll just steal all of your tips to use....Of course, if you don't mind!

Prost
Allen

Allen

Of course, no problem but then you're obviously a very brave man!! Blind leading the blind springs to mind!! ;)

All the best.

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

Thanks again to those of you've that stopped by so far.

The following pics are of the internal paint job and assembly.

In terms of the kits the Spitfire was definitely the best going together and easy to build

The 109 less so. One of the exhausts was only half formed, huge attachment points on very small and fine pieces causing me to break the aerial mast thingy and one of the engine mounted MGs was short. But worst of all was the canopy. Misty plastic in places, slightly malformed and the window frames almost non existent in some areas.

I know it's only a cheap kit but it took the shine off a bit especially when you see how good the Spit canopy was. Oh yes and it has small things sticking off it that I kept snapping off and having to re-glue. :loudly-crying: You don't get that with quick build tanks!!

ACW - and I really do mean that - for better or worse.

ATB

Andrew

-------------------------------------

Inside of the Spitfire
Don't tell Ron but I br**h painted these!! For such a basic kit, it wasn't worth getting the AB out, not that you can see much anyway.

50151022937_b6c632ba1a_b.jpgr

Sptfire pilot & cockpit
My figures are even worse than my armour or planes, although in this case they're not exactly the best moulds.

Also, the eagle eyed will notice he's apparently taking the mick out of a certain famous WW2 fighter pilot. The only other plane I've done in 35+ years was an Airfix WW2 Typhoon a few years ago. I discovered on trying to fit the pilot that he was far too tall. I did a quick test with this and discovered the same issue. The dry fit suggested he might be a bit wide in the shoulder too, so I trimmed those down as well.

50150240398_ab30f23dff_b.jpg

50150226528_ab1a915ecf_b.jpg

50151592491_1a4190428e_b.jpg

50151831302_71d1d1a5f0_b.jpg

Inside the 109
Again I used the implement beginning with 'b' to paint these.

50269305256_0c5884dd30_b.jpg

109 pilot and cockpit.
Slightly better moulds - painting though is debatable....

50269479832_f5c9943a6f_b.jpg

All assembled
Prop and and exhausts on Spitfire are just dry fitted.

50269480312_22f8465127_b.jpg

50269480377_35aa10a122_b.jpg

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nice work so far.
thanks Ian. But let's be honest almost everything I've done so far is hidden underneath the canopy!

Thanks again and all the best.

Andrew

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking good.

I'm sure that the very first Airfix pilot I ever saw in 'nineteen-a-long-time-ago' looked exactly like that one.

The Spitfire and Bf 109 both look much nicer.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good.

I'm sure that the very first Airfix pilot I ever saw in 'nineteen-a-long-time-ago' looked exactly like that one.

The Spitfire and Bf 109 both look much nicer.
Thanks Steve. Thankfully you don't see much of the pilots. Hopefully haven't let everyone down with the paint job......

ATB

Andrew

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

As I said at the top this build has virtually finished the paint stage. So what you’ll see below on the Spitfire is as it will be – bar touching up the canopy window frames and a couple of other spots (109 to follow).

All in all whilst it’s far from perfect, I’m generally happy with how they went given I’m still new to this plane business.

The single biggest lesson for me was that planes are far less forgiving than armour when it comes to getting a good coverage – big wide flat areas and no little cooks and crannies you get with armour that can cause ‘shadows’ aka “I missed a spot”…..

Also I think I need to keep my nails trimmed….I had a few instances where I managed to scrape little bits of paint off when working on masking etc. I’m managed to patch them though and fortunately all bar one was on the underside and so won’t be seen much.

Masking generally went ok but more about that later……

The biggest plus of all though was my AB and the how smoothly it went.

By way of background I first got some cheap Chinese ones Spring 2018 with the compressor I bought. They worked ok and certainly gave me good experience of stripping an AB down without risking damaging something more expensive. However, due to my domestic set up they only came out a handful of times until lockdown. As a result I was still running into the odd serious issue, although by that time I had a better one (Tamiya 0.2mm Superfine). But as lockdown has progressed things have got slowly better. And then just before getting these I invested in a Sparmax (0.4mm). For these two kits it just seemed to really click. I had almost no problems at all and even then nothing major, so it really was a joy. :smiling:

All comments welcome as usual.

ATB

Andrew

-------------------------------------------------------------

Primer
I currently use Vallejo (why is for another time) but their grey is virtually identical to Airfix grey plastic and so I added some black primer so I could see where I was spraying. It was too much though, so it was darker than I wanted. However, whilst this meant it took a few coats to get proper coverage, it has meant the panel lines haven’t completely merged away. It looked even darker in real life

50273855951_ccc72418f9_b.jpg

Exhausts
I tried a technique I’ve been using for tracks and other pieces of bare metal and I think they work ok. The technique goes like this:
  • Black Vallejo primer – normally brush painted
  • a light wash of Humbrol 53 Gun Metal (enamel)
  • then a wash, or two, or three of an off black/very dark brown made from a mix of Revell acrylic Dark Earth and Black
  • where a warn/rust effect is required follow with a light wash of some of Life Color’s rust colours (acrylic).

The effect can be varied to an almost infinite degree depending on how heavy the enamel wash is, how many coats of off black you do and what, if any, rust colours you use.

An example of a 'clean' metal finish

50352926336_cb6d84c20d_c.jpg

The finished exhausts

50292819653_3c28517fcf_b.jpg

50345421253_434be8747f_b.jpg

Camo
I was paranoid with the paint lifting as I masked and unmasked but actually I had none of that at all – either I was very good or very lucky. I was very careful though to give the paint plenty of time to dry and I used a suggestion (Barry I think) of de-tacking the tape a bit on fingers too.

I initially tried using blue tac sausages to mask for the green but I really struggled with it for some reason and as you’ll see my initial effort left far too much brown showing and wasn’t very close to the original. So i then scanned the instructions in, blew the picture up to the right size, printed it off, traced an outline on an acetate sheet, lay masking tape over the top, traced over it, cut it our and voila! It sounds a bit of a faff but the blue tac was a real struggle, seemed to take a long time and looked a bit meh….

There a couple of points where you can just see a paint join under an optivisor but from two or three feet aware they’re invisible. Also I de-tacked the tape too much in places so there was a bit of bleeding but again the touch ups are all but invisible unless you get the light just right and certainly not from a normal viewing distance.

As I said I still have a couple touch ups to do, which the camera picked up.

So all in all, not an entirely smooth process and certainly not a perfect finish but for my first effort I’m reasonably happy – the big thing is I know where I went wrong.

Remasking for the second coat of Dark Green gives you an idea of how bad my first attempt was.

50344527808_478dca5a26_b.jpg

The final paint job

50346100476_795ef6f06c_b.jpg

50345423338_c0489d4fb9_b.jpg

50345401628_e80aaebab5_b.jpg

Just noticed that I still have to touch up the tyres

50345404423_3150741d0a_b.jpg

D

Deleted member 4539

Looking very good Andrew :smiling3:.
What makes it for me is that you realised your mistakes and sorted them out.A lot of people would not sort out their mistakes and quit.
Show me a modeller that does not make mistakes and I will show you a liar.
The exhausts a particularly well done.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good Andrew :smiling3:.
What makes it for me is that you realised your mistakes and sorted them out.A lot of people would not sort out their mistakes and quit.
Show me a modeller that does not make mistakes and I will show you a liar.
The exhausts a particularly well done.
Ralph, thanks for stopping by and the feedback. I do appreciate it.

To be honest I don't have enough models in the stash to throw them away and in any case would see that is a bit of a waste in this case as these issues were fairly easy to correct and didn't take too much time.

As for the exhausts, I am really pleased with how they turned out.

I initially - and completely unintentionally - hit upon the technique about 6 years ago when I came back to the hobby and tried to correct a mistake I'd made. I then started to revisit the technique a few years ago and have been developing and refining it ever since. For me and the wargaming my son and I do it really does work very well, and for such a simple technique can get great effects.

Thanks again and all the best.

Andrew

Last edited:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So as promised below are some pics of the 109.

Another first for me, as this is my first attempt at splinter camo......

Again the process went generally ok other than not thinking ahead or having greater belief in my abilities than is actually the reality. :confused:

Since I took these things have moved on a bit and in particular I've redone the canopy as my first effort was $%^&£() &&%%$£". I used Humbrol masking fluid on it. It work fine on the Spitfire but the poor moulding was its undoing on the bird. I tried masking tape the second time around and it went ok - not that I've pulled the tape off yet. The canopy was pretty poor.

I also got a couple of the angles on the splinter camo wrong - especially behind the cockpit - so had to redo them.. I also stupidly thought it was a good idea to leave the yellow to last. Despite absolutely know it was THE wrong thing to do, I know I had a 'good' reason at the time but I'm damned if I can remember what it was.

The next time you see this and the Spitfire, they will have decals on. Amazingly I might get these finished in time - unlike my Stugs (sorry Bob).

ACW as usual.

All the best.

Andrew

--------------------------------------------------------

Primer
As before darker than I intended.

50273179438_0aa1677624_b.jpg

Exhausts
As I mentioned previously, one was malformed. My version is ok but could be doing with being a bit smaller. You will also see the malformed MG I previously mentioned in the last shot.

50270625487_a3c1fb4142_b.jpg

50270487961_332cbf09e2_b.jpg

50346112636_9dfdcdf276_b.jpg

Camo

Generally went ok other than the issues already described above.

I misinterpreted the instructions and took the RLM 71 mottling effecting over the blue to be sprayed on but according to IPMS Stockholm (link HERE):

The type of stippled painting with RLM71 as seen on this aircraft was unique to JG2 and was applied by hand using either short-haired brushes or padded rags, unlike the more usual sprayed-on mottling used by other units. The effect was to give a much finer spotting of paint than the blotches achieved by spraying.

Accepting that the mottling shouldn't actually be sprayed, as my first attempt at it I'm quite pleased. It was a real struggle to work out just how much to do. It's also a bit more obvious in reality

Embarrassing pics now follow....:flushed:

Bad angle on the splinter camo.....:sad:

50331092586_d9c622caaf_b.jpg

50331263607_c219510696_b.jpg

Wrapped in clingfilm as I did the yellow - I still can't remember what my logic was for leaving it to the end.....:fearful::flushed:

50345219176_aed265e7dd_b.jpg

Finished - I think....

The splinter camo angle fixed(ish). Please ignore the canopy.

50345426988_3ff6e52852_b.jpg

50346261057_f3d5cc81c1_b.jpg

50346262757_cba1eaf352_b.jpg

50346263877_98d800e5de_b.jpg

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That's a sweet looking "emil"! For a first attempt I would venture to say you "Nailed" it Andy. Looking forward to seeing this one completed. Rick H. :thumb2: