Bob's 2nd build and yes its a StuG. Tamiya 1/35 Ausf G plus extras

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Nice choice Bob

Is the original really that bad with all the CMK replacements?

Or is it a version change?

Always good to see another Stug on the bench.

Hopefully your wrist will behave to get your builds finished over the next few months in lockdown

Have fun

Steve H
Hi Steve

Its a great build but inaccurate, the roof is wrong, has pilze for a start. Engine deck has wrong welds but Can be used. So plan us to do a Miag StuG built march to April 43.

Spoke to my doc today as the jel for my wrist has done bugger all so blood test next and a video chat with a physio! Looks like i have to live with it, time to practice scratching bum with left hand!!

Bob, perfect, some very nice additions, esp those tracks.
Hi John

Only thing with these tracks is all the pre drilling, bugger

Glad to have you onboard, but NO 4BO

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Ok off we go!

Made up hull, built so many did not need plans lol. Despite its age, no flash, great fit good detail!

Now i know its a pathetic go at scratch but had a bash at a track rack. Not to bad but next one will be a bit shorter on the sides and where its attached to the body. The rack was dropped on the StuG G but added again in the field
20201105_125312.jpg
20201105_125317.jpg

Sorry its no where near Simon and others skills but all new to me!

And its a StuG, whats not to like lol

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Very nice start Bob, we all had to start somewhere even Simon, the main thing is you are having a go so a big :thumb2: :thumb2: :thumb2: .
Pete.
Thanks Pete, slow but almost steady lol
its all good stuff Bob :thumb2:
Cheers Si
Looks pretty darn good to me Bob.The rack looks good to me chum.
Rich.
Many thanks Rich, appreciated!
Great start with the scratched track rack. Should paint up really well.
Hi Steve, take me about 20 yrs to get anywhere near your level !!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
After a Tuesday morning when everything i did went wrong, parts taking off etc then wrist hurting and really finally cheesed off a treat!

I have had a sit down and am wondering if i should either pack it all in or stop for a while, still not really sure what to do??

At least whatever i have to get these built!

So had another bash, added the metal barell, bit of cutting and sanding. Sanded and hopefully added wear to all those tyres ( should be use to them by now ).

Made one length of metal tracks, loved the drilling, not lol. Took time as i added them one at a time added wire, then added CA. Trying to work out a way to make a length, keep it in place and then add wire quicker?? How do others do them??

20201112_115604.jpg
Thanks bob

Sorry its not very fast chaps

Bob

Last edited:

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Bob

Looks OK, no matter how long it took!

I do fruil tracks in batches of 10 just to stop it getting too boring, and I pin them together with brass pins hammered in with a mini toffee hammer.

I used to do them at lunch break at work, which was over a year ago since I was last in the office!

Its been awhile since I've had fun with a set of fruil tracks, so enjoy the mundane, it all gets you another step closer to the finish.

Take care and have fun, just a little a day or you might feel spoiled.

Regards

Steve H

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Progress is progress Bob, just do as much as you feel like, it's looking good so far. Only done friuls once, I cut a number of pieces of the wire to length & glued them in with CA, I'm sure there are better ways, but it worked for me.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob

Looks OK, no matter how long it took!

I do fruil tracks in batches of 10 just to stop it getting too boring, and I pin them together with brass pins hammered in with a mini toffee hammer.

I used to do them at lunch break at work, which was over a year ago since I was last in the office!

Its been awhile since I've had fun with a set of fruil tracks, so enjoy the mundane, it all gets you another step closer to the finish.

Take care and have fun, just a little a day or you might feel spoiled.

Regards

Steve H
Hi Steve, good to hear from you!

Just watched a video on YT, guy there used a reversed large PE bender as a clamp and like you brass pins and toffee hammer, he did not drill at all! Might get some pins and practice on the spares?

Thanks Steve, take care

Progress is progress Bob, just do as much as you feel like, it's looking good so far. Only done friuls once, I cut a number of pieces of the wire to length & glued them in with CA, I'm sure there are better ways, but it worked for me.
Hi Graeme, hope you are well.

Al least a few less wheels than a Pz IV lol!!

So Friday is drill, fit and glue pin time!

Bob

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looks mighty fine to me Stugmeister.You have more patience than me for doing them fruils.I got fed up after 3 hours doing M60 tracks by Bronco.Each link had 6 parts!!!,Sod that for a game of soldiers.
Carry on that man
Pip pip onk onk.
Rich

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
Track rack looks fine. All those wheels and the pins in the track - can't be anything but slow. Neat work.
Jim

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Made one length of metal tracks, loved the drilling, not lol. Took time as i added them one at a time added wire, then added CA. Trying to work out a way to make a length, keep it in place and then add wire quicker?? How do others do them??

Thanks bob

Bob
[/QUOTE]

Bob. I usually line up and join some links (15 or 20) on the rim of a small kitchen plastic chopping board using a two sided adhesive tape, then drill them and add the wire (you can cut to length the wire before or after placing it, I tried both solutions and are both good, at least to me ).
When CA sets, I remove the obtained track from the board and start with a new score of links.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looks mighty fine to me Stugmeister.You have more patience than me for doing them fruils.I got fed up after 3 hours doing M60 tracks by Bronco.Each link had 6 parts!!!,Sod that for a game of soldiers.
Carry on that man
Pip pip onk onk.
Rich
Hi Rich, i agree that would drive me nuts as well!
Hi Bob
Track rack looks fine. All those wheels and the pins in the track - can't be anything but slow. Neat work.
Jim
Cheers Jim

Thanks bob

Bob

Bob. I usually line up and join some links (15 or 20) on the rim of a small kitchen plastic chopping board using a two sided adhesive tape, then drill them and add the wire (you can cut to length the wire before or after placing it, I tried both solutions and are both good, at least to me ).
When CA sets, I remove the obtained track from the board and start with a new score of links.
[/QUOTE]
Hi Andy

Sound advice, sir. Will look for some double edged tape and give it a whirl

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Well, made a build changes and things went a bit faster:thumb2: smoother.

So made a run and tried on the StuG and yes you guessed right, did NOT fit!!!!!!

I picked up Fruil set ATL 02, BUT forgot to check. They are only for StuG Ausf A or A 2, these used 38cm tracks. From Ausf B to the end they used 40cm tracks with wider drive sprockets!

Should have used ATL 04, as they are for 40cm tracks, ba**s or worse words.

However all is not lost, now Mike has kindly made the correct gunners for my A2 i can use the tracks on that!

My problems with things going wrong carries on:sad:

Off to put head in oven, but its electric :thinking:

Ordered ATL 04, happy days. After all this practice next set should only take about 30 mins lol

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Don’t sweat it Bob. I’m sure you have an A or A2 in the stash, so when you get around to them you already have half the tracks done!