Bob's 2nd build and yes its a StuG. Tamiya 1/35 Ausf G plus extras

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Don’t sweat it Bob. I’m sure you have an A or A2 in the stash, so when you get around to them you already have half the tracks done!

Just what I was going to say as positive reinforcement.

There is always another Stug so there will always be more tracks to be built.

Try the ""measure twice, cut once""" mantra, to help with your mental foggyness, and perhaps reinforce that with a build log of the changes/upgrades as a tick list.

Enjoy the build and the better days when plastic gets cut and glued

Regards

Steve H

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Don’t sweat it Bob. I’m sure you have an A or A2 in the stash, so when you get around to them you already have half the tracks done!
Hi Tim, i have a completed A in the paintshop ( posh for garage ) but another A being bashed into a A2 hybrid, about 50% built. So the tracks will go on that nicely

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Just what I was going to say as positive reinforcement.

There is always another Stug so there will always be more tracks to be built.

Try the ""measure twice, cut once""" mantra, to help with your mental foggyness, and perhaps reinforce that with a build log of the changes/upgrades as a tick list.

Enjoy the build and the better days when plastic gets cut and glued

Regards

Steve H

Thanks Steve, i am guilty of rushing and not following the basics, really must sort this out, the wrong style of tracks says it all

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon

Due to a week of everything going wrong, i have gone back to basics. Spent a few hrs watching YT basic modelling vids! One of the best ideas was early xmas pressie from Julie, a DAB radio for the den, listening to classic radio does help calm the old nerves lol!

So back to the StuG, bought the CMK resin roof but forgot how many spares are left over in Dragon kits, had a look and found one, it has the correct countersunk screws and no Pilze! Screws were used by Miag from Feb 43 to May 44. The Tamiya roof has bolts, used from May 44 to end, also includes pilze May 44 to Oct 44. So totally wrong.

Roof fits ok as does the cupola
20201116_111859.jpg

Next up, and i have to cut off the engine deck and replace with a resin one with the correct welds. Not looking forward to this one bit:anguished:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Plastic Surgery is a way of life for us modelers.....too bad we can't get paid for it like those guys what carves on people's faces!
Like the mods you are doing Bob.......I haven't done a StuG. for some time now...........hmmm :thinking:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Plastic Surgery is a way of life for us modelers.....too bad we can't get paid for it like those guys what carves on people's faces!
Like the mods you are doing Bob.......I haven't done a StuG. for some time now...........hmmm :thinking:
You know it makes sense sir!!

Theres a StuG nerd on the site. Good looking chap, now whats his name:thinking::upside::surprised:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Good to see you back at it Bob, good old dragon keeping the spares box topped up, did the same when I did the Tamiya for the Stug GB. You kept me informed of the mods needed, be interesting to see how the engine deck goes.:thumb2:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good to see you back at it Bob, good old dragon keeping the spares box topped up, did the same when I did the Tamiya for the Stug GB. You kept me informed of the mods needed, be interesting to see how the engine deck goes.:thumb2:
Appreciated Graeme

Hope i do not get the shakes when i start cutting !!

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening

After cutting, fileing and worrying the swopping of the engine deck went well.

Cut out the orginal engine deck and have test fitted the resin deck with the correct but welded seams, Tamiya show interlocked which was not used on this version.

20201117_103944.jpg

I have left the moulding block on the deck ( correct name? ). It has a groove which happens to fit perfectly into the superstruture, leaving a small gap. As the deck was separate, ideal. Downside the decks left handside has had to be filled as the moulding is poor.

Happy bunny i be!!
Bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
One side of the tracks ready, think the sag is ok. Joined with long piece of wire.
20201120_114737.jpg
And yes recored how many links i used! Have made 60 for the other side so almost done other side as well. Made some changes to how i made them and went better and a bit faster:thumb2:

Tamiya have added the bracket and rubber bump stop on the outside of the commanders hatch on the cupola but could not do the correct roof?
20201120_112206.jpg