Bob's Dragon 1/35: StuG 111 Ausf G

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Bob,

I am surprised that the engine kit was such a lousy fit. Normally with very little mods the parts fit where they are supposed to go. I was surprised how easy it was to fit my engine compartment into my Dragon StuG IV as the engine kit was for Tamiya's StuG IV. Glad you got that sorted out...…..

A tip when sawing or sanding resin parts. Get them wet or do it under a little running water in the sink. You will have no dust to worry about and keep your lungs clean too...

Prost
Allen

Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Allen, one to use!

I am wondering if the kit was made to use on the older Dragon StuG's, they did not have seperate torsion bars / anchor points? Getting there, slowly lol

Cheers bob

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Probably Bob,

Look at the CMK kit and see if it was made for Dragon kit #'s that started with 90 or 60. If so, then they are the old Shanghai Dragon and the like. No torsion bars in those kits. Drive on Brother….

Prost
Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'm surprised you had to look on the web for pictures of a Stug engine bay Bob! :tongue-out:
Pete

• Haha

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Looked in my tiny book collection and got a few of mechanics but usually from the side or rear and a empty bay, bugger all from above. !

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
Glad your sticking with it, it's looking good despite the issues you are having.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Keep at it Bob, I'm sure you will sort it.
Thanks plodding along lol

Now Pete was wondering if in my tiny book selection i would have pictures of the engine bay? Today i had a brain storm, i know it does not happen often lol

I forgot i had the excellent Ryton StuG book and yeeehaaa clean pictures of a bay during a restoration. Lovely

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
afternoon plodding along, with the bits for the engine bay on order, got on with the superstructure etc:tongue-out3:

Finished the gun which will be painted and weathered on its own

Stug G GB 001.JPG
Stug G GB 002.JPG

finished the superstructure, pleased the tiny wing nuts on the track link rack on the back are still there
Stug G GB 006.JPG
Stug G GB 004.JPG

The engine deck will be on the floor with some of the hatches open, so will need to paint the edges around the hatches and the undersides in red primer
Stug G GB 003.JPG
Stug G GB 005.JPG

not far off from being ready apart from the engine bay and the dreaded resin :thinking:

Question time, sorry ?

I have been looking about and i think the radios should be a grey colour, right or wrong ??

The brackets / racks for the radios, on some restorations and other models are either ivory OR the same colour as the radios, i assume ivory is correct, the interior is a colour nightmare

I have asked Wolfgang Zimmerman (very generous support and a true StuG expert) about the interior colours as it seems to be very confusing information and discussion

Getting there!

bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
It seems that nobodys interested in my efforts?? Virtually no posts or interest?

Have i upset or annoyed anyone??

Worked on the superstruture roof today, i corrected the mistake by Dragon. The close quater defence weapon was not fitted to many StuG's due to shortages so at Alkett a small plate was fitted on the inside of the roof to blank the hole off. The kit has the other factories (Miag) fix, they used a plate on top of the roof. Built up the cupola, will fit the commanders hatch last as it will be open.

20200207_114210.jpg
Bob

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Hi Bob

Probably Stug fatigue, it has been really intense, and most of the builds are finished.

Just us slow coaches left to plod on!

I'm sort of glad of the cold snap at the moment, it gives me time to work on the Flak Panzer I and X-wing for a light relief LOL

I really need to break back into painting and stop being shy about using my paint brushes.

Great research too Bob, the whole Alkett/Miag always throws me!

We will need to round up the surviving Stugs, don't forget Simon T too!

Regards

Steve H

• Haha

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Scottie, thought i had gone deaf lol

Hi Steve

As you will know Miag only built G's and no StuH but in pictures can be fun to work out which is which:upside:

Perhaps one or twenty StuG's overload lol

D

Deleted member 7181

I'm still here watching too Bob.

Sorry I haven't interacted more, I'm just enjoying the progress.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm still here Bob. Weekend off so i'll be catching up on everyone's builds.

Looking great so far. Shame the resin wasn't designed for this kit but at least you're knocking it into shape.