Bob's Dragon 1/35: StuG 111 Ausf G

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Some say the floor was red oxide and everthing else ivory, some say the floor, gun carrige, hull walls red and superstructure ivory?? I have seen the gun and breech green??

Doing my head in for sure!
Could be all of these are true. Different factories, different times of manufacture, war situation deteriorating so not as much care taken as would otherwise be, etc.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Of course if it was Russian Bob you would have no problem :smiling3::nerd: 4 BO exterior and off white interior.
Keeping it simples :smiling:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks all

John, Scottie and Steve many thanks for the photos :thumb2: very much appreciated

John wish it was a simple colour scheme :angry:

Once I have the information from Wolfgang i will let you all know

I am finding the resin a total nightmare, lots of flash, very fragile and very brittle and with appalling plans and fit and for the very old Dragon StuG's :tired:

Fitted the fuel tank after cutting a large slot in the bottom to make it fit over the torsion bars and anchors, then had to cut the engine frame to make it also go over the torsion bars.

While cutting, it fell apart and in a lot of very small parts, arrghh so had to insert a bit from a spare bit of tamiya plastic, looks bad but can hide with dirt/oil etc

now the big problem, you can see the small tank with the strap around it and the radiators fit on top of this
20200213_110827.jpg
Below is picture from the excellent Ryton StuG book showing the rads in place and on top of the small tank
20200213_111013.jpg

Now you can see that the rads will not fit , it looks like i am having to cut right through both engine frames to get it anywhere near.

I cannot cut into the centre plate on the rads as its meant to be there and there is one of the water pipes connecting both rads
20200213_110827.jpg
This is also from the Ryton book, you can see the two black torsion bars and the water drain pipe in the centre
20200213_111018.jpg

Thinking of either giving up and leaving the rads on the ground, i have come very close to throwing it all in the bin.

Lats time i buy a CMK kits, so disappointing, annoyed and cheesed off (note cheesed instead of P****off):sad:

thanks again all

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Bob i cannot believe you don't have the colour info in your small stash of StuG books. Obviously you need to have a word with SWMBO and say that you need to expand your StuG reference library ;)

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Al

Only got 2 lol sorry dozen!!

I have a few pics of engine bay but black/white, and quite rare. The ones from the Ryton are the best.

I assume there are good resin kits out there??

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob, keep going mate, it's doesn't look all that bad, with what you've got you've done well.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Below is picture from the excellent Ryton StuG book showing the rads in place and on top of the small tank
View attachment 372989

Now you can see that the rads will not fit , it looks like i am having to cut right through both engine frames to get it anywhere near.

I cannot cut into the centre plate on the rads as its meant to be there and there is one of the water pipes connecting both rads
View attachment 372990
This is also from the Ryton book, you can see the two black torsion bars and the water drain pipe in the centre
View attachment 372992

Thinking of either giving up and leaving the rads on the ground, i have come very close to throwing it all in the bin.

Lats time i buy a CMK kits, so disappointing, annoyed and cheesed off (note cheesed instead of P****off):sad:
thanks again all
Morning Bob

I seriously thought the middle photo was a monochrome reference photo!

It might be "doing ''ure ead in!" but you are really doing a great job!

I am sure there are some decent resin kits, they just need heaps of TLC.

Think of them as that poor old cat that has been on the streets since it grew up and wasn't a cute kitten,
and has spent all of its life roughing it and just needs some warmth, a roof and a little TLC, and you will be in the right place!

The analogy sprung to mind as Anna's cat rescue volunteer friends will be round for a coffee and cakes morning next week!

7 crazy cat ladies and all that sugar in a confined space for a couple of hours!

I shall hide in the attic LOL

Persevere with the engine bay, it does look the part.

Regards

Steve H

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening chaps

Bob, keep going mate, it's doesn't look all that bad, with what you've got you've done well.
After today John, oh yes it does lol

Thanks Steve, cannot beat a moggie lol, Anna's and Catwell do a amazing job in Cardiff helping moggies, we help with support and donations for my late sister and dads birthdays, xmas etc

After a lot of cutting, grinding, sawing, head scratching, cursing, swearing, praying and finally it fits. Had to cut large cut outs in the engine frames.

20200214_104132.jpg
Not pretty, in fact a shambles but it fits. Will paint first then fit. Then red primer, oil, grease and muck, should hide a lot, i hope;)

Bit more to do and may contact CMK to complain, terrible!!
Thanks bob

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Alistair, still a lot to do and more headache tablets on order :angry:

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
These things are sent to try us Bob, looks like you've got it sorted.:thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
well Bob as the guys say looks like its goin ok now lets see some more of the build an see you keep chuggin on as now ive found it I will follow on
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Chris plan to get the engine bay done and primed next week and the interior, well thats the plan!!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks Chris plan to get the engine bay done and primed next week and the interior, well thats the plan!!
WELL Bob that's what we want to see so stick at it as if I don't feel well I do something on tiger an it absorbes me so much I forget that I felt rotton at the start Its just given yourself the shove to getting into the build as one of my boaty mate 's has been feelin rotten as he has a illness now for 3yrs or so an when I said have a go on his ship he says I don't feel u to it but he txted me later to say he had a go an he found the day had shot through an he felt better so it does help now so lookin forward to your progress Bob
chris

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Good thinking Chris

Been reading vol 1 (again) of Muller & Zimmermans StuG book, can not move, thought i had lost the use of legs then realised that my large ginger cat has taken my lap over;)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Good thinking Chris

Been reading vol 1 (again) of Muller & Zimmermans StuG book, can not move, thought i had lost the use of legs then realised that my large ginger cat has taken my lap over;)
YEA I get that problem when snowball lays on me she weigh a ton after a while but I don't have the heart to shove her off