Bobs StuG no 2 ! Tamiya 1/35 B

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hes the chap i copied the shell impact. Look for Hornet hobbies, they have a good few builds with Dave Forest. Hes a good teacher and i have learnt a lot. Well worth watching

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Bit more progress :thumb2:

Added some more of the tools, jack. Rear fenders with I hope some suitable damage with one folded up
ebay nov 6 003.JPG
ebay nov 6 004.JPG

Fitted the headlight covers with one buckled, damaged Notek (missing) and added others

ebay nov 6 005.JPG
ebay nov 6 006.JPG

Its nerd time
According to Zimmerman and Muller the B did not have the wooden rack to store the radio antenna, but used a V shaped bracket attached to the end of the engine intake grills
ebay nov 6 002.JPG

But have photos of the B's using the wooden rack so whats ,what. Going to dig a bit deeper to see if it was fitted during the B's builds? nothing in the book?

Cheers Bob

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sir Bob thank you for showing a mere mortals what the track shield should look like when fitted.
That white weld line looks good. As for the hits I saw the other day that if you push the end of a brush into the impact and then twist it around, remove and add a little cement to the area it will give a realistic spatter effect on the area. Not tried it myself yet but it looked effective on the Y tube video.

I've not tried this technique yet but I like some of his other bids. Thx for reminding me to have a look at

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
In primer!

For the first used Mr Surfacer 1500 black thinned 50/50 with their leveling thinner as a primer and very happy bunny i am:hugging-face:, will use again i can see why it gets good reviews

Went on so smooth, covered all of the glue marks and dried very quickly, cracking finish to boot :thumb2:

Stug G GB 2b 001.JPG
Stug G GB 2b 002.JPG
Stug G GB 2b 003.JPG
Stug G GB 2b 004.JPG

Even makes my attempts at weld seams look ok :hungry: pleased with them as well, so far so good ;)

The dust bits are after and not in the paint :upside:, i have to spray in a cold, drafty and dusty garage so despite using a booth and hoovering every time i still see the dreaded dust bits!

Also did the wheels
Stug G GB 2b 005.JPG

The easy link tracks have arrived so they are next then top coat, then a first go at a bit of modulation

thanks bob

D

Deleted member 7181

Looks cracking Bob.

Once you've tried that primer you'll never go back! I also have the white version so I can mix various shades of grey if I need to.

Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Andy , impressed to be fair!
Only issue was a different way to clean the airbrush

Flushed it through with lacquer thinners

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Good man, hope you used your respirator. Rick H.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Oh yes Rick, just taking the lids off was bad enough!! But never used lacquer paints and have posted a ? ref using the tammy lacquer paints, do they always go on so smoothly??

D

Deleted member 7181

Bob, I haven't used the Tammy ones yet but the Mr Color lacquer paints go on a dream, just like their primers. From what I've heard the Tamiya ones are good too and I'm sure to be giving them a go at some point.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks good Bob, really impressive. Thanks for those photos, I can see how far up my track guards need to go now. :flushed: :surprised:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks John

After the tracks going to top coat then modualtion!

• Wow

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening, some more progress

Had a go at the easy link tracks

Stug G GB 3b 001.JPG

they are not joined together yet, fitted loose just to see if the sags ok, pleased with it!

Plus points: very easy to build up, made it one long length in about 10 minutes?
Negs: Casting not as crisp as friules and a few of the locking tabs missing or damaged, also not a great fit on the sprocket, do not seem as flexible, just my opinion

But so much easier, no drilling, fiddly wires or glueing!

Next Vallejo panzer grey sprayed on, note one of the s hooks as escaped!

Stug G GB 3b 002.JPG

Stug G GB 3b 003.JPG
Stug G GB 3b 004.JPG

Looking ok, what do you think, criticism always welcome

Next is youtube to see whats this modulation is all about :tongue-out3:

thanks bob

D

Deleted member 7181

Next is youtube to see whats this modulation is all about :tongue-out3:

Looking good Bob, my Easy Tracks turned up in the post today.

If you can find it, Sergio Solo has done a video of modulating this exact kit in the same colour. Might be worth a look.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks Lee, appreciated

Fun bits next and more experiments:thinking:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Some of you may have read that i was questioning the fitment of the wooden rail for the antenna as it was not fitted from the factory on the B. I have contacted Wolfgang Zimmerman THE Mr Stug who kindly told me that they were first fitted to the Ausf D but retro fitted on the A, b, c etc. So you can fit either the U or V shaped bracket as from the factory or the rail.

What a nerd i am:upside: