Bob's Sturmgeschutz GB Chat thread

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks Mick

John, just a bit confused, might be me old age lol

"Well seeing mine is a series1V, I shall fit a short barrel gun , and remove the side armour. Or do it as the the captured Finish one , with the longer gun. From the year of capture being 1941 I think grey will be correct "

thought you where trying to change a IV to a B?
No Bob was trying to use the model I had, but thinking about it decided to go for the correct one and stuff the cost !

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
The grey would be correct for 1941, but a StuG IV would not be. Those only came in in, off the top of my head, 1944 (Bob, correct me if I’m wrong :smiling3:) and never had a short-barrelled gun.

That StuG III from Zvezda would be far more correct for 1941. Not sure if the Ausf. B was used much in Russia, but again, Bob will know, I hope :smiling3:
Jakko .
According to the report from Pete and my earlier one that is the correct model that was captured by the Russians, they did capture some ones in Finland with the long barrel .

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning John

Thats right at the end of the war a few old short barelled Stugs up to Ausf E and taken from training schools and had the long barell retro fitted. Bronco do a kit of one

There are many pictures of captured German armour and loads of Stugs so they would got there hands on every version

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7237

Jakko .
According to the report from Pete and my earlier one that is the correct model that was captured by the Russians, they did capture some ones in Finland with the long barrel .
Sorry for posting Johns info again and adding to the confusion, brain not working at 100% yet (if it ever did) lesson learnt. :sad:
Pete.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
they did capture some ones in Finland with the long barrel .
Those would have been StuG III Ausf. Gs (with long-barreled guns), not IVs, since Finland never got the StuG IV. Of course, the Russians could have (and most likely did) captured a StuG IV from German troops elsewhere on the Eastern Front.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think I should explain, as the discussion about which StuG is what and which one i'm going to build.:disappointed:
No 1 I had 2 StuG's in my stash, both the 1V .
see attached photo

1568281242802.png

Right everyone clear,:flushed: I was going to enter this............................................. but realised the version was incorrect re the captured one in 1941/2 which I wanted to reproduce.
At the time I thought just change the barrel , remove the side armour, it will look the part, after all its a Stug. My mere mentioning of barrel lenghts and showing the long barrel was in case I didn't have a short barrel in my spares.. Some members on here will recall the row which blew up on in the Other House , where I put the wrong barrel on my StuG.

Of course I should have realised this woulds prompt excitement on this forum as well about which version I was going to build.

SO Iv'e ordered the correct version namely.
No 2

1568281609292.png

This is the model shown in the photo that both Pete and I showed.

1568281699679.png

I do hope this clears up the post.
Yes it will be Grey, before anyone asks RAL 7021. and it comes with metal tracks.
I'm off now to lie down in a dark room. God I can understand why the Russians had things so simple !:smiling3:

John.:disappointed::disappointed::disappointed::nerd:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi John, you are aware that switching barrels won't do as the IV was longer, had more wheels and was based on a Panzer IV chassis. :smiling3:...that was the row that brewed up. Good thing it's cleared up and you have the right kit now.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John, you are aware that switching barrels won't do as the IV was longer, had more wheels and was based on a Panzer IV chassis. :smiling3:...that was the row that brewed up. Good thing it's cleared up and you have the right kit now.

Cheers,
Richard
I am now ! Richard, just counted the no on each model:smiling::smiling2:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
OK Stug fans, lets talk tracks. :smiling3:

Particularly what track I would need for my Finnish Stug 3 Ausf G. I think I need the 40 mil ones, but keep seeing type A and type B. I don't know what the difference is and my Google-Fu is letting me down. I think I need the solid horn type if that makes a difference. Any help please?

• Haha
Reactions: JR

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Bob you have a choice. being Finish i would say winter tracks?
Friuls ATL 19, winterkette from winter 42/43

ATL 83 Ostkette, eastern front only, may 44 on

Or normal tracks, ATL 05, 27, 28

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
OK Stug fans, lets talk tracks. :smiling3:

Particularly what track I would need for my Finnish Stug 3 Ausf G. I think I need the 40 mil ones, but keep seeing type A and type B. I don't know what the difference is and my Google-Fu is letting me down. I think I need the solid horn type if that makes a difference. Any help please?
I dare not answer Bob, but we have spoken on my blog about what I was going use as you know.:nerd:

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Had a peep, would go with the Ostkette

Would imagine most use was in the snow?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Bob. Could be a good excuse to try worn winter camo and snow for the first time. :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7237

Stug Tracks.

The bladed types are known as 'Winterketten' and actually came out earlier than Schurzen for the III and IV tanks. The idea was that they were supposed to be swapped out with the standard summer tracks as conditions allowed.
Subsequent tracks known as 'Ostketten' (Eastern Tracks) were supposed to be long term replacement options for the summer tracks, and withstand the demands of running in/on hard dry terrain without the failure rate of the earlier winterketten tracks.They are made differently, and the pin goes through in a different way.
1568377110260.png

Pete.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Of course Russian Tanks needed none off such add on's :smiling2: they went where others feared to go. :nerd: