Boeing 247

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
United Airlines had these as a first effort at a serious commercial air transport aircraft. Are these still available Barry? And what scale if you please? Rick H.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
United Airlines had these as a first effort at a serious commercial air transport aircraft. Are these still available Barry? And what scale if you please? Rick H.

It was 1/72nd scale Williams sold out big time,you may find examples at swop meets Rick.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Seek, and ye shall find...........................BOEING 247
Some of the Williams were poor - the rest were even worse - I remember struggling with a 1/32 Curtiss Sparrowhawk - not good memories!
Dave

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Seek, and ye shall find...........................BOEING 247
Some of the Williams were poor - the rest were even worse - I remember struggling with a 1/32 Curtiss Sparrowhawk - not good memories!
Dave

They had a thing for thin plastic walls that used to warp badly this Boeing 247 was no exception and required careful nose to tail glueing a bit at a time,not helped by lack of location pins,they were almost like Vac forms but not as good ! if I remember family illness was the end of the company,considering its importance that was I think the only Boeing 247 kit ever done ?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I seem to remember soapy plastic that was resistant to cements! I think I had to use Araldite in the end! Decals were pretty shoddy, too!
Dave

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Awful brittle plastic Dave,I had to resort to gel superglue in the end and add strips of plastikard between the joins to stop everything springing apart,decals were thin and prone to breaking up in water as the clear carrier backing was too brittle,I managed to get a new sheet of decals from them took months to arrive after complaining about the quality.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for all the input gents. If I am able to get one of these, this information will be invaluable.
Cheers, Rick H.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
A wonderful build of an important aeroplane Barry. Forgive me, but I'm catching up with the forum after being away for a while and am looking briefly at each of your fantastic builds. I just don't have the time to comment on each one, but they are all impressive and nicely made.