Boeing B-17G Converted to a flying Testbed 5 engined aircraft

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This model of the B-17G Flying Fortress had a major restoration and conversion to a fifth nose mounted engine test bed,only a few such aircraft were converted and this represents one of these rare birds.
The model started life over 30 years ago as a rubber powered model,it flew well and was eventually retired and placed into storage pending a decision on its future,well it was rebuilt with new wing and fuselage 1/64th balsa sheeting still as a B-17G but micro radio installed and four outrunner motors.
A few years passed and the model once again placed into storage,then I saw pictures of these test beds and decided to re-incarnate the old B-17 again and make extensive modifications to make her a five engined example of one of those test beds.
This was the end result shown here together with some of the models earlier history recorded on camera.

Undergoing major surgery in 2017

Armament removed and turrets filled,cockpit moved aft and nose extension

And some pictures of the B-17 in a past life.

The tired rubber powered airframe undergoing fuselage sheeting and fitting of new wing spars,old covering was stripped down to the bare bones.

Wings sheeted but still a standard B-17G.

New improved tail with control surfaces.

The old wing and its original tired spars.

The new upper sheeting goes on.

Still with her turrets as a B-17G Bomber.

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Impressive collection of aircraft you got Barry,
I've flown Rc models in the past too, about 8 years, but many (after damage) were not as lucky as yours to get a 2nd chance :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Impressive collection of aircraft you got Barry,
I've flown Rc models in the past too, about 8 years, but many (after damage) were not as lucky as yours to get a 2nd chance :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven

Yes we build them,fly them,bend them,rebuild them all part of the fun Steven.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Barry, It appears that the first test bed photo of aircraft N5111N depicts a Wright 3350 on the nose. I don't recognize the other two but am really impressed with your efforts with this model. Very unique! Cheers, Rick H.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Barry well done for posting the pics of this B17 as I never knew they fitted a 5th engine in one but for the life of me I cannot see why they did it as its got 4 engines already an yes I understand this was a flyin test bed well they say you learn something everyday an I have cheers
chris

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
HI Barry well done for posting the pics of this B17 as I never knew they fitted a 5th engine in one but for the life of me I cannot see why they did it as its got 4 engines already an yes I understand this was a flyin test bed well they say you learn something everyday an I have cheers
chris

Purely for testing engines,they did it with several aircraft types over the years including Avro Lancaster with a double Mamba up front and the Beech 18 with a PT Turboprop up front,makes sense because old airframes converted drastically cost little and they can use the engines in actual conditions such as spraying ice onto them in flight,if the engine cuts you have the safety of the standard engines.