Boldman 1:35 Austin Tilly "with load"

B

Boldman

Okay so now I've been given a clue as to how this works here goes with some box and sprue pics...

First the main subject:

View attachment 26726View attachment 26727

So I'm afraid the sprues on this one are a bit empty because construction has already begun (noob alert!)

Anyway, in order to qualify for this GB the "truck" really needs a load. So to this end here is a selection of what may OR may not appear in the back of the Tilly...

View attachment 26728View attachment 26729View attachment 26730View attachment 26731

View attachment 32637

View attachment 32638

View attachment 32639

View attachment 32640

View attachment 32641

View attachment 32642

DSCF3680.jpg

DSCF3681.jpg

DSCF3682.jpg

DSCF3683.jpg

DSCF3684.jpg

DSCF3685.jpg

N

noble

Andrew nice start so far love the alsatian dog very nice.

scott

B

Boldman

So this was posted previously in Under Construction...

There are 3 colour schemes shown in the instructions. I'm building the basic green colour scheme.

Starting with the chassis and engine:

View attachment 27004View attachment 27005

I haven't got involved in superdetailing, my eyesight just isn't good enough for lots of tiny wires and extra details, especially as the bonnet will be closed so the engine won't be visible. However for my own satisfaction I try to do a decent paint job in it.

Next, the chassis which has quite a bit of underbody detail:

View attachment 27006

Next comes wheels and bumpers. The wheels are only pressed on for the moment. They will need more weathering done to them:

View attachment 27007

Next is the cargo area. This will be without the tilt covering it so I will be adding the frame poles later. The wooden floorboards have been suitably weathered in preparation for the load it will carry to qualify for the Group Build ;)

View attachment 27008View attachment 27009

I've used the wooden tailgate instead of the pressed steel one.

Finally so far, tonight the seats went in and some more weathering was done on the wheel wells.

View attachment 27010View attachment 27011

View attachment 32882

View attachment 32883

View attachment 32884

View attachment 32885

View attachment 32886

View attachment 32887

View attachment 32888

View attachment 32889

DSCF3664.jpg

DSCF3663.jpg

DSCF3666.jpg

DSCF3668.jpg

DSCF3671.jpg

DSCF3670.jpg

DSCF3672.jpg

DSCF3673.jpg

A

andygh

You're going well there

At this rate you'll be finished before I've started mine

B

Boldman

Since that was originally posted, of course there has been further progress...

The pickup section has been added, the frames for the absent tilt have been added using wire, steering wheel added and cab painted, which includes battery detail for under the boonet.

View attachment 27012

I will be closing the bonnet so I didn't have to paint the batteries, but you know what its like... YOU know its there even if nobody can see it :smiling3:

Next, the cab gas been added to the chassis

View attachment 27013

and the windscreen is in place.

And finally for this section, bonnet is in place and...

View attachment 27015View attachment 27014

We have a driver!

That's all for now...

View attachment 32890

View attachment 32891

View attachment 32892

View attachment 32893

DSCF3674.jpg

DSCF3675.jpg

DSCF3691.jpg

DSCF3686.jpg

B

Boldman

\ said:
You're going well thereAt this rate you'll be finished before I've started mine
I did sort of jump the gun a bit, not fully understanding the Group Build rules I'm afraid.

A

andygh

Oh right, you'll have to build something else for the GB after the Tilly's finished then

N

noble

Andrew, nice progress mate it's looking good so far. Is it going in a diorama?

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's going together well.

Ian M

B

Boldman

Yup it will be in a diorama... watch this space for further progress... ;)

B

Boldman

Further progress...

So here are a few pics of the next bits of the build.

First off we have the bonnet and doors, along with headlamps doorhandles and indicators.

View attachment 27134View attachment 27133

In the background you may notice some of the cargo that will be in the back later on...

So as I said in my previous message, this WILL be a diorama and so we begin landscaping...

View attachment 27135View attachment 27136

I started with a nice and cheap 7"x9" picture frame from Wilkinson (the people who have replace Woolies in many high streets) It cost about £3 and is ideal.

I bought the wonderful book in the Osprey range Terrain Modelling by Richard Windrow and so used the technique described in there to make the tree from a wire wound armature coated with Tetrion filler. While the Tetrion is still damp you score it to a sharp point to make the tree bark texture. The white stuff is called Air Dough which I bought on my shopping trip to 4D Modelling Supplies I was enthusing about a couple of weeks ago. Its got a foamy texture to it but you can sculpt and mould it, using water to soften it. Then when it dries it has a stiff foam texture that is a little bit flexible and will easily allow things to be inserted into to to support other structures as you will see later...

You can see the card I used to support the sides and this will later be removed to allow the construction of a section through the earth.

The next stage is the roadway...

View attachment 27139View attachment 27140

You can see I've added some paint over the air dough now. It took only a couple of hours for this to dry. The roadway is made us using Claycrete which is essentially ready made papier-mache, just add water! The dust is a bit of a pest so be careful when you mix it up.

You'll also notice I've built up the Claycrete around the back of the earth sections. This is because the texture of the claycrete is almost perfect to represent an earthy type of cut.

While waiting for the Claycrete to dry, I added some support for future landscape elements...

View attachment 27137

The sticks used here are actually from a bristle scrubbing brush bought from a hardware shop. I cut off one bundle of bristles which give a nice selection of thickness of sticks.

You'll also have noticed that I put more effort into the tree. I did try adding foliage but it looked terrible! So in the end I cut of the ends of the branches and re-coated the bare metal tips with tetrion and the tree has become a dead tree. I've painted up the bark to look more realistic and I'm quite pleased with the effect...

View attachment 27138

So now its just a matter of waiting for the Claycrete to dry...

View attachment 32988

View attachment 32989

View attachment 32990

View attachment 32991

View attachment 32992

View attachment 32993

View attachment 32994

View attachment 32995

DSCF3700.jpg

DSCF3701.jpg

DSCF3692.jpg

DSCF3694.jpg

DSCF3697.jpg

DSCF3702.jpg

DSCF3696.jpg

DSCF3695.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good work so far on the diorama base. I must say that tree looks rather good. It it good to see some different "building materials" being used. Its a good chance to see what can be done with the different things available.

Ian M

N

noble

Andrew nice job on the tilly mate and that dios comin on a treat keep up the good work.

scott

B

Boldman

3 days later...

So 3 days have passed since the claycrete was put down and finally it dry enough to continue!

So first up was the section through the mound. Here I used some artist acrylic paints concentrating on raw and burnt umber plus some black. I stuck some of the bristle twigs in to represent various roots and fixed some small ballast rocks in to represent, um rocks. Some of these were painted to provide some variations. The surface also got a coat of burnt umber and burnt sienna to give it a more earthy colour.

View attachment 27173View attachment 27174

So next came the trackway. This was constructed the way a track would normally be built, first with larger stones as the base with an infilling of smaller stones and gravel. In this case, three different grades of model railway ballast. Then the verges were built up with various grass flocks, pebbles, some bush foliage, sticks and static grass, along with some taller grasses made from the bristles of a wallpaper brush mixed with some scenic long grass material.

View attachment 27175View attachment 27176View attachment 27177

The hedge is made from rubberised horsehair (that name always make me smirk for some reason!) which has has some green paint applied plus some of the green foliage material attached.

Finally, over all the grassy areas a liberal sprinkling of dried herbs form the kitchen adds realistic looking leaf litter and builds up a very convincing impression of clutter and mess.

This was my first "proper" attempt at a natural landscape (I don't count the base of the 1:32 Spitfire, that is just static grass) and about halfway through I was in a panic as it really didn't look at all convincing. However, perseverance and dried herbs made a big difference!

There is a lot of diluted white glue involved, either from a spray (not always so good when there are lots of small loose bits) or from a small syringe. So much dilute glue that the base board got saturated and came close to sagging, so some support has had to be added underneath while it dries.

Finally an idea of the scale and appearance when the Tilly is added...

View attachment 27178

View attachment 33028

View attachment 33029

View attachment 33030

View attachment 33031

View attachment 33032

View attachment 33033

DSCF3704.jpg

DSCF3703.jpg

DSCF3712.jpg

DSCF3709.jpg

DSCF3711.jpg

DSCF3713.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's looking rather good Andrew. Cant beat a bit of dried herbs to liven things up a bit.......That sounds sooooo wrong LOL

Ian M

B

Boldman

Another update... almost there...

So things are moving along now...

Next task was the ground on the other side of the hedge. This was pretty straightforward with glue, flock grasses, twigs, herbs and so on. The emphasis was on making it look convincing.

View attachment 27235View attachment 27237View attachment 27236

So apart from some minor tweaking of the hedge and gravel path, the diorama base is finished. All that remains is to pose the Tilly and add the cargo. Watch this space...

View attachment 33087

View attachment 33088

View attachment 33089

DSCF3716.jpg

DSCF3718.jpg

DSCF3717.jpg