Boldman, Challenger 1 WW3 what if...

B

Boldman

Still waiting for the postman but here is my "victim":

plus decals:

In addition, I'll probably be adding these when the finances are in a bit better shape:

More details for this here: Military Models and 1/35 Scale Models by Accurate Armour

and almost forgot... one of these:

See more here: Military Models and 1/35 Scale Models by Accurate Armour

I'll be adapting to illustrate a Challenger 1 from mid 80s when the Cold War finally broke out into a real shooting match in Eastern Europe. I have an idea for a diorama which will also incorporate my Scorpion and Scimitar tanks that are sitting in my stash (and mention was made of a possible future "Modern AFV" Group Build, so this is all tied together)

Last edited:
N

noble

Some nice bits there Andrew can't wait to see how you approach this.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sound like a plan.

One thing that you might want to consider. The Scorpion and Scimitar that you have in the stash. As you have said there could well be a modern AFV GB some time later so you might be better saving them for later. Your call at the end of the day but I feel it is going away from the Special Interest of this build; The Challenger MBT, and heading off towards the modern AFV build.

Like the look of the tankers. Might have a closer look at them myself.

Ian M

B

Boldman

No I didn't mean I was going to build the Scorpion and Scimitar yet but planning ahead for a diorama that would feature them all. Fro the SIG build I'll stick with the Chally and bits. It will have its own base for this build but I will incorporate it into something bigger later on. Sorry I didn't make myself clearer :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL No problems Andrew, Well only one problem and that will be the finished Diorama. Its going to be huge!

Ian M

B

Boldman

Challenger box arrived today and since it was also pay day (yayy!) ordered the dozer blade and crew figs. Sadly bank balance almost depleted already after paying rent, bills and council tax :sad:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good that You got your priorities right, Kits first then the rent!!! LOL

Accurate armour, what is their stuff like, I mean it looks good on their web page but what is the stuff like when you have it in your sticky little mits? The tilly you did last looked ok but was there loads of clean up first. Thinking of splashing some money their way soon, so would like to know a bit in advance.

Ian M

B

Boldman

Well the tilly went together okay - not as easy as an injection mould kit. There was more cutting required as things had to be sawn off the moulding sprues, and of course you have to wear a mask for this stuff as it produces nasty dust. The mouldings seemed okay, there were a couple of minor distortions but nothing that you'd really notice. I'll report back when the dozer blade and figures arrive. I opened the box this evening - phew that looks like a complicated build! I'm currently building the 1:48th scale Revell Apollo Lunar Module, which I thought would be nice and simple until I started and discovered how bad the kit is and how much work will be required to make it more accurate... Good thing we aren't starting until 1st May :smiling3: I'll continue with the Lunar Module while watching the wedding on TV tomorrow :D

B

Boldman

They also do a CRV(T) crew set that I might get later when I'm doing the Scorpion and Scimitar...

Military Models and 1/35 Scale Models by Accurate Armour

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I am seriously considering the CrARRV they do. Might have to wait a bit though, £100 for the kombi kit or just £70 for the conversion.I have a Bergpanzer on the way.... I see a theme developing here.

Ian M

A

andygh

They also do a CRV(T) crew set that I might get later when I'm doing the Scorpion and Scimitar.
Yes and a desert set which will fit with my Challenger

N

noble

\ said:
Yes and a desert set which will fit with my Challenger
Hi Andy if they do a desert set thats great as i've just got the Acadamy 1\35 warrior as a birthday present but it has no crew so will check that out.

scott

B

Boldman

The stuff from Accurate Armour arrived today so now I have model, dozer blade and crew... just waiting for the decals now but start date is tomorrow so clearing up my work table tonight to get ready! I've put the Lunar Lander aside for a while until I can work up the enthusiasm for all that scratch building inside...

I'll post pics of the new stuff later once I've finished the hoovering!! ;)

B

Boldman

Finally! The Sprue shot post!

So its 10 minutes to go until 1st May so here are the sprue shots from the model and extras...

Tamiya Challenger 1 Mk 3:

View attachment 27939View attachment 27936View attachment 27938View attachment 27935View attachment 27937

Next the Accurate Armour Dozer blade:

View attachment 27941

and finally the Modern AFV crew (Bosnia/Europe) set

View attachment 27940

I must admit to becoming a bit of a fan of Accurate Armour stuff. Looking at their site there is so much stuff I'd like to build (Scammell Pioneer or Explorer, 1:48 scale RAF Refuellers and the other CVR(T) variants like Spartan, Samson etc) Just wish I had the income to afford them!

View attachment 33702

View attachment 33703

View attachment 33704

View attachment 33705

View attachment 33706

View attachment 33707

View attachment 33708

DSCF3814.jpg

DSCF3813.jpg

DSCF3815.jpg

DSCF3812.jpg

DSCF3811.jpg

DSCF3810.jpg

DSCF3809.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hoovering BEFORE you open the kits is always a good idea. You are eager to get started!

I too will be watching the build.

Ian M

B

Boldman

Decals arrived today:

View attachment 28230

These dcals represent tanks from King's Royal Hussars, Queen's Royal Hussars and Queen's Dragoon Guards as deployed to Kosovo and Bosnia in 1996/1999. These will be useful for the Challenger and also later for my Scimitar/Scorpion builds as I intend to have them all from the same units.

So as for the build, been busy with the road wheels, hacking them up and wearing them down to represent a well used tank. The road wheels will be left off until its ready for placing on the diorama base so that I can fit the tracks over the terrain.

View attachment 28231

as is my usual habit, I'm painting as I go along, but its slow work...

View attachment 33877

View attachment 33878

DSCF3816.jpg

DSCF3817.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Good call on the road wheels Andrew, The rubbers on challengers are notorious for getting ripped to bits in no time. Some of them came off compleatly, some had huge chunks out of them, others just small dinks. One thing for sure you can't go over the top on them as thats the way they where.

Like the decals by the way.

Ian M

N

noble

Good start to the build Andrew will be followining this with interest.

scott