Bomb crater in cobblestone

First Name
Steven
Hi Guys,

I’d like to create a bomb crater in my Normandy Dio. It’ll be on the cobblestone street, I was wandering if anyone could lend some advice?
sorry, should’ve said that it’s created through Styrofoam

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
City, village, or country lane? How big/deep? Will infrastructure be exposed? Substructure? Surroundings? They all make a difference on scatter.

First Name
Steven
City, village, or country lane? How big/deep? Will infrastructure be exposed? Substructure? Surroundings? They all make a difference on scatter.
It’ll be a village so see attached (1/35)

Attachments

• 0017FE6E-024B-4B44-A40D-B83717F5AE5B.jpeg
    0017FE6E-024B-4B44-A40D-B83717F5AE5B.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 8
First Name
Steven
Crater doesn’t need to be all consuming but just a “Acknowledgement“ that a artillery barrage has taken place

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steven, I think it would be very difficult to model an 'Acknowledgement' of an artillery barrage. Even the smallest of craters would produce a mass of flying debris. The 'cobble stones' would be smashed and flung far and wide. Most of the window glass will be gone.

Perhaps start by digging your hole. Then make enough individual stones which would normally be in place. Break these up. This will at least give you a start as to the correct amount of general rubble.
Try and get the effect of such an explosion in your mind's eye and start to transfer this to your model. Plenty of scope for sure.....

Ron

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I would check out Youtube videos to see how others have done it too. Lots on there to choose from. Some look really good

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Have you considered looking at actual WW2 photos or more recent conflicts such as Kosova, Lebanon etc, etc? There are often newsreel pictures recording the devastation. Also, don't forget the substrates - road construction is layered, crosses small areas of contrasting soils and contains 'services' such as drainage, main sewerage, electric and gas piping etc, etc! An extra thought, debris does not not generally fall uniformly around the crater but rather is 'splashed' in the opposing direction to the incoming projectile!
Steve

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steven, I think it would be very difficult to model an 'Acknowledgement' of an artillery barrage. Even the smallest of craters would produce a mass of flying debris. The 'cobble stones' would be smashed and flung far and wide. Most of the window glass will be gone.

Perhaps start by digging your hole. Then make enough individual stones which would normally be in place. Break these up. This will at least give you a start as to the correct amount of general rubble.
Try and get the effect of such an explosion in your mind's eye and start to transfer this to your model. Plenty of scope for sure.....

Ron
Excuse us Steven .while I reply to 570.

Agree completely my learned friend , so nothing to add .

Last edited:
First Name
Steven

My apologies but I

First Name
Steven
Thankyou to all that have replied.

I agree with your thoughts Ron, it may be a step too far for someone who is creating their first Dio. Perhaps I’d be better trying to replicate severe wear on the street. Certainly damage from the Tiger that will eventually adorn the street in question

First Name
Steven
Have you considered looking at actual WW2 photos or more recent conflicts such as Kosova, Lebanon etc, etc? There are often newsreel pictures recording the devastation. Also, don't forget the substrates - road construction is layered, crosses small areas of contrasting soils and contains 'services' such as drainage, main sewerage, electric and gas piping etc, etc! An extra thought, debris does not not generally fall uniformly around the crater but rather is 'splashed' in the opposing direction to the incoming projectile!
Steve
Hi Steve,

Great name and spelt properly as well

I have looked at photos and YouTube but it’s quite vague. As this is my first Dio I may have to reign in my initial thoughts. One step at a time

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
No probs Steve. If it was mine I probably wouldn’t think of it either ;)

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary

Unless it's something like a mortar shell I can't see the hole being very small.

First Name
Steven

Unless it's something like a mortar shell I can't see the hole being very small.
Yes I’m beginning to agree

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steven. What about just some general damage. Chunks out of the road surface, masonry/ woodwork, broken glass, that sort of thing.....

First Name
Steven
Steven. What about just some general damage. Chunks out of the road surface, masonry/ woodwork, broken glass, that sort of thing.....
Yes I’m beginning to think this may be the way to go. I’ll give it a practice on an old piece of Styrofoam

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Perhaps a very very shallow indentation from a grenade as it would have dislodged one or two stones and left powder fragments created by the jaggered shrapnel.
From the look of the complete shopfront there wouldn't be much debris but perhaps from the opposite destruction of the unseen side near the tank. So many possibilities only you can decide.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Steven
Perhaps a very very shallow indentation from a grenade as it would have dislodged one or two stones and left powder fragments created by the jaggered shrapnel.
From the look of the complete shopfront there wouldn't be much debris but perhaps from the opposite destruction of the unseen side near the tank. So many possibilities only you can decide.

Cheers,
Richard
A grenade crater sounds more achievable for someone of my experience