boulton paul defiant 1/48

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nicely done Lindsey. As you say not a pretty place but a fascinating one all the same.

ATB.

Andrew

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Oh, I love the look of the Defiant - with others like the Whirlwind etc we produced some innovative aircraft in those days! Didn't always work as planned, and lacking the graceful lines of the Spitfire and Mosquito, they were innovative nevertheless! Or, in the immortal words from 'allo, 'allo "... interesting!; stupid - but interesting!"
Steve

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very nice work. Love the wear on the entry side especially. Not a successful design, but might have been more effective if it could have been fitted with front guns as well as the turret. Apparently it could turn as well as a Hurricane .;)

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
thks all .. reading up about the plan before i started it showed that being the gunner was not for the faint hearted .. the chances of being able to bale out if the plane was going down was pretty much nil. Different calibre of person back in those days for sure .......

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice one Lindsey, always liked the Defiant even if it was an ugly duckling.The qwerkey ones seem to interest me. A small suggestion for future builds is to eliminate the seam lines on joints with filler and a bit of sanding. Not all joints need to be sealed so a bit of checking before doing it. If done well it can elevate the finish even better.
Overall looks great with the weathering. :thumb2:

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
thks all .. reading up about the plan before i started it showed that being the gunner was not for the faint hearted .. the chances of being able to bale out if the plane was going down was pretty much nil. Different calibre of person back in those days for sure .......
Yep, once the hydraulics went the turret couldn’t be rotated to let him out…..I believe the parachute was built into the flying suit as well because of the limited room in the turret.….now if you want to see a really bad design of a turreted fighter, look at the Blackburn Roc :loudly-crying:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nice work. Love the wear on the entry side especially. Not a successful design, but might have been more effective if it could have been fitted with front guns as well as the turret. Apparently it could turn as well as a Hurricane .;)
I actually heard it could out turn a hurricane....as you say forward firing guns might have made a difference...but we'll never know...

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That looks great Lindsay, the camo so effective, I nearly lost it on your bench.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
That loosk fantastic Lindsey, I like the weathered paint effects.