Bouncing Bomb information

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Calling on any Lancaster expert here. I am just in the process of building Guy Gibsons Dambuster Lanc. Its the Revell 1/72 kit. They provide a decal to wrap around the bouncing bomb so it has a stripe going around it but the only archive picture I can find of the bomb loaded doesn't show the stripe. Indeed I cant find a single picture of a bouncing bomb with this stripe. Any ideas please as to what is correct. Stripe or no stripe.

Attachments

• bb1.jpg
    bb1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 11
  • NT53vovC.jpg
    NT53vovC.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 11

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Steve, I've spotted a picture on Google Images showing a bouncing bomb which was found by the Germans after the raid. (Not all exploded and some overshot the target)
The bomb has two white lines. One, about 4" to 6"wide goes all around the cylinder of the bomb, close to the edge. The other line, all around again, is slightly off centre towards the first one.

On or off, I don't think it matters too much. Perhaps some bombs did and some didn't.

Ron

HAWKERHUNTER

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cant find those images Ron but I think your right. The bombs seem to vary considerably in colour as well.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cant find those images Ron
Just one picture. It shows a group of German soldiers standing around the bomb. I typed in simply 'Bouncing bomb'

There is a colour picture on Google Images which shows the bomb on a sling. There is a British soldier stood almost under it. For some reason, the photo looks fairly modern, but it clearly shows the two white rings....

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much..... :upside::thumb2:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I think that what looks like stripes are actually where the lifting straps have been wrapped around the Upkeep. Certainly the one I saw at Elvington didn't have stripes.
Pete

Nice one Tim and Peter. That'll teach me to view images when I'm half full of beer - or I should have gone to specsavers - or both! .... :upside::upside:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The one at Brooklands doesn't have stripes either.

Lee W

Rum before 10 makes you a pirate not an alcoholic
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
To throw a spanner in the works, did you guys know that the bouncing bomb was first tested between Chesil Beach and the waters to the mainland in 1942... a Vickers Wellington was used as the first and the hopeful aircraft to take the bomb to the dams!

I'm off for a rest... to much knowledge for one day!

Lee

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well Barnes Wallis did invent the geodetic framework used in the Wellington.....