Bowcat's 1/35 Tamiya King Tiger for Simon

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
This is coming on a treat. The ammo will look fine considering very little will be seen. Strange that the side zimm was short given that the rest looks to have fitted well. Getting the wheels on and sorted is a wise move. Excellent work with the PE - it does add some very nice detail. I have heard that one of the problems with burnishing fluid is that it doesn't take if there is even a slight smear of CA.
Jim

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Bob, I have admired for several minutes your fine work, PE in particular :cool:: it makes my fingetips eager to go back to the bench... :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Just caught up on this Bob. Great work so far. Well done.

Andrew

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Excellent work Bob, am watching closely ;)

Jim.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Just read through this one , fantastic work Bob , the extras are really lifting this . Cheers tony

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Bob. Very nice updates. Looking good

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning chaps. :smiling3:

I got the last of the PE bent to shape and fitted last night, this was mainly just the clamps for the tow cables. With these installed I was also able to get the mudguards & fenders fitted, which are precariously stuck in place with CA. I wonder how many times I will knock these off.

I realised that the front left mudguard is slightly misshapen, but we'll just say it ran into a tree traversing the Ardennes forest.

So, she is now ready for paint.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great work on the PE. Looking forward to seeing the wet stuff

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Bob,
My apologies mate I don't know how I have missed this. Some seriously nice and neat etch work.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers gents. :smiling3:

I've started painting, just the Rotbraun to go so will get some more poics up when that's done.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers guys. :smiling3:

Finished off the camo last night, although I still have to paint the dots. The paintwork is quite patchy, I really struggled with the Mission Models paint. Admittedly I have had it a little while, but I wish I'd bought the Hataka lacquer set instead.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

So, dots next, and some detail painting of the tools, tow cables, etc, then on to decals and weathering. :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
Looks good. I doubt the patchy paint will show when it's weathered. Funny you had trouble with the paint - I had some MMP paint which I had to throw and I put that down to having had it a while. Mind you I've had other makes much longer which still work fine.
Jim

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Jim. :smiling3:

I had the same thoughts regarding the patchiness, I'm sure camo applied in the field wasn't perfect and with filters and washes it should tie together.

I've always had a bit of a love hate relationship with MM paints. When the mix is right they go down beautifully, but I find they only work well within a small window of paint/thinner/poly ratio. I've been moving more and more toward lacquers this year (particularly Tamiya & Hataka) but decided to use the MM paints as I had the right colours for German tri-camo. I think after this experience they will be going in the bin.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Bob,

As usual, I'm playing catch up here and love what I see. One day, I have to try soldering etch too. I find Friuls are the best answer for a good sag and some weight. Top Job Sir!!!

The camo looks great and I too use MMPs for my German stuff. Only had a prob the first time as I mixed the paint 50 - 50 with their thinner and it ran all over my model when sprayed out of the AB. Mine are from 2017 and still work fine. I shoot them straight out of the bottle now. They do brush like crap though, having to apply a couple of coats to get any decent coverage....

Prost
Allen