Bowcat's 1/35 Tamiya M40 155mm Self Propelled Gun

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Don't they have an anti-reflective coating?
Agree, the build is looking good.

Pete

You could be right, perhaps if it had reflective coating then all glass apatures would appear black. Just had a funny thought...shouldn't the periscope work both ways...imagine a pair of eyes painted on instead of a color coating. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
You could be right, perhaps if it had reflective coating then all glass apatures would appear black.
My M6 periscope has nothing of the sort — it’s just plain glass at both ends of both prisms/mirrors (they’re detachable for cleaning and replacement if damaged).

Just had a funny thought...shouldn't the periscope work both ways...imagine a pair of eyes painted on instead of a color coating. :smiling6:
It does, but like I said above, you don’t really see anything through the periscope unless you’re looking straight into the “window.” From under any other angle, really all you see is the black interior of the periscope body.

What we need is a version of those novelty pictures that change when you look at them from under a different angle :smiling3:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Well, the hatches are glued on now, so the blocks are staying blue. :tears-of-joy:

Did a little bit tonight. Finished up the binos, hard to tell from the pic but I used clear glue to make lenses.

View attachment 324746

Got the bodies glossed up ready for a wash. Here they are in some type of bizarre conga line.

View attachment 324747

And this is where I'm at with the heads. Definitely going to have to revisit some of the eyes, 3 and 5 in particular are going to give me nightmares.

View attachment 324748
Don't worry about the eyes, I looked like that new years day :rolling:, Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
Conga line looks nice. Faces are fine. You're looking at them much enlarged and in isolation. With bodies, as part of the dio and looking at them with the Mk1 eyeball they will be great.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
I think the eyes should be green and not blue, unless they are wearing contacts :smiling5: pmsl.....sorry couldn’t help me self :tongue-out2:

All looking very nice from here Bob:thumb2:

Reactions: JR

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers guys. :smiling3:

Finished up the figures, mostly all went well other than the kneeling guy. He fell on the floor, dislodging the glued projectile from his hand and tearing the paint. Will need to touch that up. Also glued the pile of projectiles and charge canisters together.

With that done I made a start on the base.
IMG_20190106_145640.jpgMVIMG_20190106_145706.jpgMVIMG_20190106_145736.jpgMVIMG_20190106_150021.jpgIMG_20190106_154426.jpg

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
What dance are the pair in the middle doing?:smiling:

Looking good Bob.

Pete

Reactions: JR

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning work on the figures. They really look like mini humans at work. Base is looking good also:thumb2::thumb2:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Steve. :smiling3:

Got some paint down on the base this evening. I primed grey then went over with various shades of brown, flat earth and desert yellow to try and give some variation. I think I'm happy with it, but might adjust a bit after the grass goes down. I will also be going over it with dry pigments for the dusty look, but will do that with the vehicle in place so I can tie it all together.

MVIMG_20190107_193458.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob the figures are ace, love the faces and the uniforms.
Base coming on well, again some neat paint work .
John.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Bob,
Now waiting for the finish line - great job all round.
Mike.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Mike. :smiling3:

This is now very close to being finished, I can't believe it's been going on since the beginning of November. Time flies..., etc.