Bowcat's Bandai 1/48 AT-ST

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi guys,

This is my first venture into this part of the forum, which is kinda strange as I am a hardcore SF fan. I wanted to wet my SFSM (sci-fi scale model) whistle with something Star Wars themed and this little kit seemed a good place to start.

However, this is not going to be a straight forward Scout Walker, I have a plan to do something a little bit different to the usual "gray paint on Endor".

First up, I completely ignored the instructions and started on the interior of the turret (it may actually be a cockpit, but I'm an AFV builder). There's a lot of artistic licence at work here. :smiling3:

IMG_20180503_181327_1.jpgIMG_20180513_150913.jpgIMG_20180513_151310.jpgMVIMG_20180513_151152.jpgIMG_20180513_151014.jpg

Rbaker

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Looking good how good are the instructions?

Does it come with a walking carpet?

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Instructions not bad, in English and Japanese and very clear diagrams.

Yes, there is a Chewie. Cleverley the sprue that has him has differnet coloured plastic, the normal grey for the walker parts and a orange/brown for the Wookie. Sadly no Ewoks, so I can't display the walker treading on one. :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
This looks fun. Great start with the cockpit or whatever you call it.
Jim

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Jim, I am having fun with it mainly because I'm only loosely following the instructions. :smiling3:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Bob
A terrific start. I like what you have done with the interior. Cant wait to see what the twist in the tail will be regards the paintwork. Good luck
Steve

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
looking good!

Cheers Jim, I am having fun with it mainly because I'm only loosely following the instructions. :smiling3:

i always found instructions were greatly overrated :smiling6:

First Name
Wouter
Oh, something Star Warsy ^^ The walker looks good so far mate, great work on the interior!

Cheers

D

Deleted member 5819

Hi Bob great start and very nice job on the interior paintwork, though troopers seem to have very big boots ,or is just me, good luck with the rest of the build.
Pete.:thumb2:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers gents. :smiling3:

Pete, yes I thought the boots were a little oversize, luckily they will be hidden in the foot wells so won't be seen.

First Name
Ross
Bob
Brilliant, I've got this in the stash, really looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
cheers
Ross

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
i'm hoping this isn't too late, but be careful with using washes on the model,
the plastic that Bandai uses doesn't react well to thinners.

a lot of folk have found the plastic crumbles,
my advice would be to use water based acrylic washes...

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers for that, but yes I am well aware of the trouble people have had. :smiling3:

Saying that, I cut a couple of pieces of sprue and left one in odourless thinners and the other in enamel wash overnight. So far neither has disintegrated so maybe they have changed the plastic??

Either way, I'm going to be very careful with the oil and enamel washes and try not to let them pool in the joints.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Cheers for that, but yes I am well aware of the trouble people have had. :smiling3:

Saying that, I cut a couple of pieces of sprue and left one in odourless thinners and the other in enamel wash overnight. So far neither has disintegrated so maybe they have changed the plastic??

Either way, I'm going to be very careful with the oil and enamel washes and try not to let them pool in the joints.

:thumb2:

That interior is absolutely gorgeous, it's such a pity that you can't see much of it when it's installed..

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Got back to work on this one yesterday, haven't touched it since the last update as I've been working on my F-15E build.

I have mostly finished the turret/cockpit, just a hatch and rail to go on.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Also got the "waist" section built up.

IMG_20180531_225019.jpg
IMG_20180531_225032.jpg

And I've also been working on a solution to the very dark cockpit in an effort to show the detailing in there. :smiling3:

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

In retrospect I wished I'd ordered clear LED's as you can't see any of the different colours I painted on the sides, but at least if anyone ever looks in there they can see the details.

I also took a shot of one fo the sprues as I am impressed that Bandai can get three different coloured plastics on one sprue.

IMG_20180531_201400.jpg