Bowcat's Ferrari F430

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Tony, I wanted something different from the usual red. I've got an Enzo to do next, I'm thinking about doing that either in gloss black or Matt FDE.

James, it's Faskolor fasescent turquoise. It's actually a lexan paint but seems to stick ok.

IMG_20170225_125753.jpg

P

Phil.c

Nice job Bob,

If you need any close up pictures of any part of the 430 give me a shout.

Phil

0ne48thtel

Nice recovery on this Bob I am liking the final colour choice.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Phil, great pics. Oh, and your on. Don't mind if I take it round the Nurburgring do you? :D

P

Phil.c

Only if you keep the revs to 8,500...I wouldn't want to push it too hard :D

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Interesting colour - almost a metallic aquamarine. Like it!:cool:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
The body's now had several coats of Xtracrylix gloss,but is still decidedly satin. The colour coat is quite rough, possibly because it's designed for the inside of a lexan body shell.

I'm tempted to leave it, it's looks pretty good and after the problems I've had I don't want to risk screwing it up by trying to wet sand. What do you guys think?

tmp_13141-IMG_20170227_2158011747985581.jpg tmp_13141-IMG_20170227_2158291422986152.jpg

P

Phil.c

You've painted it as you should Bob and it looks very good....it depends on how close to the original you want it to be as they are high gloss and not satin.

The problem as you know is that wet and dry is a gamble, very time consuming getting into all the nooks and crannies with a big possibility of rubbing through the blue. Extra gloss coats would fill the rough colour but would cut down on the detail, I would leave it be as it will probably be not noticed by the majority of people, they will just notice the quality of the build!

Just my two pence worth :smiling3:

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thanks for the comments guys. Having slept on it I've decided to leave it as is. This is my first attempt at a civvy vehicle (and only my 2nd model) and I think trying to improve it will just make it worse.

I've also got an Enzo to build so will try for a more glossy finish on that one.

P

Phil.c

The other way to look at it is this...the colour you have used as far as I know is not a standard factory one, however, you can have your own choice of colours when ordering the car, also the finish, so your colour and a satin finish is not out of the question, all of this costs ££££'s though :eek:

An example is that black seats come with standard black stitching, if you decide to change the colour it costs around £150....just for changing the bobin!

What is not commonly known is that one cannot buy a new Ferrari off the shelf as each car is made to order.

Good luck with the Enzo, but it's got to be Rosso ;)

Phil

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Sorry Phil, but probably not Red. I'm currently thinking either gloss black or (dare I say it) matt FDE. :D

Saying that, my youngest daughter is bugging me to do this:

606ce363f0bb57f134fa859de97bcdaf.jpg

My ultimate plan (after practicing on these two) is to attempt the Tamiya La Ferrari, which I would do in Ferrari Rosso.

P

Phil.c

I think the problem with painting scale models with metalic paint is that although the models are scale the particles in the paint are not, but it depends on how particular one is.

The Tamiya has to be red though :smiling3:

Phil

PS. A few years ago my youngest son was out in Milan meeting a buisiness associate, he said to him, I have to go somewhere and threw him the keys to his Enzo, "Drive me" he said, my son would never forget that drive through the city with his passenger shouting "Faster faster", this was when the Enzo was first produced and were 1m£ :eek:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
At this stage I am just taking each build as a learning experience, so not getting too hung up on 100% accuracy. When I get to stuff like the LaFerrari I'm hoping my skills will be good enough that I can go the extra mile for complete authenticity. I promise I will paint it red. :D

For the same reason I've built a Challenger tank, and I'm currently building a Chieftain, but I've got a more expensive Centurion tucked away until I feel I can give it the justice it deserves.