Bowcat's Fly 1/32 Hurricane Mk 1

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning Chaps,

I made a start on this over the weekend. Obligatory what's in the box shots first. :smiling3:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

Despite the Finnish marking on the box art, the kit contains markings for V6665 as flown by Flight Commander John Kent (or Kentowski as he was sometimes referred to by his Polish Comrades) of 303 Squadron based at Northolt, which is what I will be building. I chose this as Northolt air base is only a couple of miles from where I live.

On to the kit. This is a limited run kit from Fly, and having done my research I've gone into it eyes open as to its foibles. The instructions are reported to be fairly useless (they are), the kit lacks any form of locating pins (it does) and the plastic is very brittle (it is). What I wasn't expecting is it's resistance to TET. I've found it best to dab some on the mating surfaces and wait a few seconds for the plastic to soften before putting the parts together. They then need to be held for a while and left to dry for a good few minutes.

Due to the lack of locating pins I decided to get the firewall glued to one half of the fuselage first as this will provide the first reference point for installing the cockpit. Plasticard was added to this and the shelves on the cockpit sides to aid location.

8.jpg9.jpg13.jpg

I then moved on to the tubular framework of the cockpit. The brittleness of the plastic became apparent here as I broke both the control column and the foot pedals. Luckily I managed to clean up the actual framework without damage. Every single tube had two mold lines, so careful scraping was the order of the day. As promised, the instructions were useless and ignored. If you follow the Fly build order, the control column and linkages should be fitted first, followed by the tub sides and finally the triangular brace. However if built in this order it's impossible to add the triangle as it goes around the control linkages! Instead I built up the 4 tubular parts first, then added everything else afterwards.

I'm going to try to add some extra detail to the cockpit, so some lead wire was used on the control column to simulate the hydraulic line, and I decided the PE panel that hangs from the framework on the pilots left side was too flat and 2d, so I opted to add some additional details. This may not be completely accurate but I think it will add some interest.

10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg14.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Off to a great start there Bob!

It was a while ago when I built one of these, but I seem to remember using a lot of Superglue on that plastic.

Cheers

Steve

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Steve,

Funnily enough, the CA grabs great when I used it to attach PE or resin to the plastic. It's a very strange composition of plastic.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Blimey this looks like an epic!
But as you say , you are going in with your eyes open so good luck and I shall be watching with interest.
Re; Johnny Kent,- according to the Channel 5 Battle of Britain show, his Polish pilots were not impressed with his 'by the book' leadership, being mostly older and much more experienced combat pilots.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Re; Johnny Kent,- according to the Channel 5 Battle of Britain show, his Polish pilots were not impressed with his 'by the book' leadership, being mostly older and much more experienced combat pilots.

That's putting it very politely :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks like you have a good plan Bob. I enjoy a kit that has to be built and not just put together... some times.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Ian. Yes, it makes a change not having a shake n' bake kit....sometimes. :smiling3:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Afternoon guys. :smiling3:

Work continues on the cockpit with the side walls, seat and rear armour.

Fly provides a featureless flat piece of PE for the head armour, so I discarded that and attempted to make by own. It's not great, but better than the kit version and hopefully will look better under paint.

1.jpg2.jpg

I added some foil to the seat to represent the leather strap which I think was too stop the parachute cord rubbing on the seat, and the height adjustment handle which is missing from the kit.

4.jpg

And finally I started on the port cockpit wall with a mixture of kit parts and some scratched bits. The thing to the left is supposed to be a cockpit light but may be a bit too big??

3.jpg

I'm finding this scratch building stuff fun (although I'm not very good at it) but very time consuming, particularly as I have made some of the parts multiple times.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning guys,

I've finished painting, detailing and weathering the cockpit, seat and framework. I decided to do the seat and frame in bare aluminium to give some contrast against the side walls.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

The metal paint look really rough in the pics, but I think it's just the flakes in the paint, it's all smooth to the touch. :smiling3:

I'm now at a point I can't go any further. I decided to order some fabric harnesses from RB Productions but I'm not sure when they will arrive (despite 3 emails, all of which have been unanswered!) so I will just have to wait before installing the harness on the seat, the seat to the frame and the frame to the fuselage.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Ian. :smiling3:

My first real attempt at scratch building, so a little rough, but should be OK once safely cocooned in the fuselage.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Colin, because of the foibles with this kit I don't want to get anything glued without copious dry fitting so unfortunately it's back in the box until the harness arrives and I can get the fuselage buttoned up.

Not to worry, I've started a cheeky little side kit. ;)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
Missed the start - sorry. Just had a catch up. Never heard of Fly and I also didn't know that the Finns flew Hurricanes. Looks as if you have your work cut out. Having said that you are doing a grand job. The scratched stuff makes up for some of the kit's shortcomings. Hope the wait for the harness is not too long.
Jim