Bowcat's Hurricane Mk1 Fly Models 1/32

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hi Guys,

This will be my entry for the GB.

IMG_20200607_133134.jpg

This boxing contains markings for Group Captain John Kent's aircraft V6665 of the 303 Squadron based at Northolt which is what I will be building. I live within a couple of miles of Northolt airfield, and have been lucky enough to be on the base a few times.

The kit is a short run affair and is known for very poor instructions and a lack of locating marks, but should build up very nicely with some care. It comes with PE and some lovely cast parts, so the only extra I have added is a Yahu IP.

Roll on July. :smiling3:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
Never come across FLY Models. Can't go wrong with a Hurricane. Always think they were overshadowed by the Spitfire and yet I seem to remember reading that there were more Hurricanes than Spitfires involve in the BoB.
Why does the box art have those markings?
Jim

Reactions: JR

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Hey Jim,

No they are new to me as well, but after some research they are apparently the best 1/32 version available at the moment, despite the flaws mentioned above.

303 Squadron (who only flew Hurricanes) claimed the largest number of enemies shot downs during the BoB at 126 destroyed, 13 probables and 9 damaged.

Other than John Kent (who was Canadian) the pilots were Polish, and are commemorated by the Polish War Memorial just off the Ruislip Junction of the A40 (which is just a few hundred yards from Northolt Air Base), along with the other Polish squadrons.

100_0412.jpg

The box art is of a Finnish Hurricane.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Finnish of course. Should have known as I once built a Finnish armoured car - Winter War.
Jim

Reactions: JR

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Very nice Bob, looking forward to see your big Hurricane:smiling:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Fernando. :smiling3:

Jim, I was initially confused as well. The Finnish armour I've built have Harakristi (hook cross) emblems rather than Swastika's, but maybe it was different for the air force??

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
That's about what my research has led me to believe. Thinning the undercarriage resin block looks like it will be particularly fun. :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Harakristi (hook cross) emblems rather than Swastika's
The word for “swastika” in many other languages simply translates to English as “hook(ed) cross” anyway, regardless of the exact type: Dutch: hakenkruis, German Hakenkreuz, etc. Finnish hakaristi (I think that’s what you were aiming for :smiling3:) also means the same thing.

It was adopted by the Finnish air force because one of the first aircraft it got, was donated by someone who apparently painted a swastika on lots of things, for luck (it’s originally a lucky charm, before its use by the NSDAP rather tainted it). From that plane, the Finns decided to use it as their national insignia on aircraft.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bob.
Like the box art, the Polish pilots had such hate for the Germans. The first Polish squadron (No. 303), in No. 11 Group, during the course of the month shot down more Germans than any British unit in the same period.
There is the rest of this article if anyone is interested at.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's about what my research has led me to believe. Thinning the undercarriage resin block looks like it will be particularly fun. :smiling3:

I built one a while ago. Generally the fit was not too bad. It's obviously not Tamiya, but I've built far worse! It makes a nice Hurricane...in the end.

I had to thin that resin wheel well down to the point where I could see light through it to make it fit.

Good luck, I'll definitely be watching once we all get started.

Steve

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The resin undercarriage bay sounds exactly like the PCM Hurricane, It will be interesting to see the parts and how they compare. This isn’t a rebox kit but their approaches seem very similar.
Good luck with the build Bob
Cheers
Paul

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
The word for “swastika” in many other languages simply translates to English as “hook(ed) cross” anyway, regardless of the exact type: Dutch: hakenkruis, German Hakenkreuz, etc. Finnish hakaristi (I think that’s what you were aiming for :smiling3:) also means the same thing.

It was adopted by the Finnish air force because one of the first aircraft it got, was donated by someone who apparently painted a swastika on lots of things, for luck (it’s originally a lucky charm, before its use by the NSDAP rather tainted it). From that plane, the Finns decided to use it as their national insignia on aircraft.
Some Count that used it as his lucky charm and had something to do with the founding of the Finnish airforce.

Who have rather quietly just dropped the hakaristi.........

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking forward to this. I built 303 squadron leader Urbanowitz’s hurricane in 1/48 a couple of years ago. Love a good hurricane....

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Will defo be watching this. I have the Mk.II to build

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Hi Bob
Never come across FLY Models. Can't go wrong with a Hurricane. Always think they were overshadowed by the Spitfire and yet I seem to remember reading that there were more Hurricanes than Spitfires involve in the BoB.
Why does the box art have those markings?
Jim
Not only more numerous but far faster to rearm and refuel, but a brunette compared to the Spitfires blonde........

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
The Hurricane could also take far more battle damage than the Spitfire. Making it a 'better' aircraft for inexperienced combat pilots.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The Hurricane could also take far more battle damage than the Spitfire. Making it a 'better' aircraft for inexperienced combat pilots.

Yes and no. Any pilot was statistically more likely to be shot down in a Hurricane, but it could sustain more damage and was much easier to repair.