First Name
Joe
Looking superb Bob. Good to see one wheels up being built in a flying attitude

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
Great modelling. All looking neat and sorted. The dry fit of the cockpit looks superb. Well done with the "wheels up" alterations. That sort of thing will make your model unique :thumb2:
Jim

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers gents. :smiling3:

The build portion is pretty much done, still need to fit the exhausts but can't do that until I've ordered some acrylic rod.

In the meantime I put together the weapons loadout. Not exactly correct for the aircraft I'm building, but as ever I build how I want, not necessarily completely per the instructions.

MVIMG_20191013_124655.jpgIMG_20191013_103524.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That looks like a strange load-out indeed :smiling3: 2000s equivalent to the 1940s fighter-bomber, I suppose.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Very nice vairied armenments Bob with the J.D.A.M an missles never seen a tomcat loaded that way like Jakko said :thumb2:
chris

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Chris. :smiling3:

The instructions would have GBU-12's & 16's on the centre pylons, a single AIM-54 on one shoulder with the LANTIRN opposite, and a brace of Sidewinders.

I think visually having the 54's up front will look better when it's sitting on the shelf (and as the F-14 was the only platform that used for these missiles), though I may swap out the Paveway for another JDAM (or vice versa) as the lack of symmetry bugs the OCD part of my brain. :smiling5:

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Well Bob with my tomcat all the missles an bombs fascinated me an I really wanted to fit the lot on her but got to be senceible an make a proper weapons load up but so I loaded up the rest on my super hornet so they got used an I will have the same dilimea when I build my big super tomcat an super hornet in 1/32nd scale
chris

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Too true Chris, although in fairness the Paveways, JDAMS's & Phoenix missiles were all used together, albeit by a different squadron (VF-213 Black Lions), so the loadout isn't too far-fetched. :smiling3:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Too true Chris, although in fairness the Paveways, JDAMS's & Phoenix missiles were all used together, albeit by a different squadron (VF-213 Black Lions), so the loadout isn't too far-fetched. :smiling3:
WELL Bob I think it looks great an what are you gonna fit her on some glass rod in flight like one of the other guys did with his blackbird

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great work Bob coming along nicely.
Just got myself a 1/144 version of this so I'm going to pay even more attention to the build.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Looking great Bob, nice conversion work to make it an inflight one :thumb2: .
Oh and I love that office with pilots:cool:, hopefully I achieve that too.

Neat load-out too:smiling:.

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Evening chaps. :smiling3:

The acrylic rods arrived so I was able to finish up the exhaust cans.

I'd already painted the internals and glued the fan blades in with epoxy (for added strength). These were then drilled through and the rods inserted. The ends were smeared with vaseline and covered over with Milliput.

When dried the rods were removed, and I know I got a nice tight fit as the came out with a satisfying pop. :smiling3:

After that the cans were glued onto the fuselage with Tamiya thick (white top) glue. Hopefully it will bond nicely as all the weight will be on these joins.

MVIMG_20191016_185727.jpgIMG_20191016_185823.jpgMVIMG_20191016_185854.jpg

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning chaps. :smiling3:

I've started the painting. The kit was primed with Stynylrez grey, then the panel lines were pre-shaded with black. Unusually (for me) I then further pre-shaded with Tamiya XF-18 medium blue, just random patches with varying depth. The idea is it will give the patchy look common to Navy F-14's when top-coated.

There's three different greys for the colour scheme I'm doing, the underside was done with Light Ghost Grey, and the nose with Dark Ghost Grey. I still have to do the top of the rear section with Medium Grey which I hope to do tonight.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg