Bowcat's Tamiya F-14D Tomcat 1/48

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Morning all. :smiling3:

I got the main paintwork finished last night, still have to do the nav lights but this will be done after weathering. Also, the tanks, ordnance, LANTIRN pod & jet nozzles still have to be painted.

The Hataka paint has gone down very smoothly so I'm not going to varnish which means I can crack on with the decals. I'm quite pleased with the pre-shading, the patchy look that is common to Tomcat's has come though, she just needs dirtying up. :smiling3:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking very smart, Think if i memory serves me correct (after reading it) tomcats only used to fly with one AIM-54, as it want the most accurate missile, looked menacing though :smiling5:

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Steve. :smiling3:

It's difficult to say with the AIM-54's. One of the options in the instructions is for a Fleet Interception load that actually has 6 AIM-54's (although only 2 are supplied) and a pair of sidewinders.

I guess i depends if it was configured for air to air or air to ground combat. I've applied artistic licence with mine so it's somewhere in-between. :smiling3:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Bob,

looking very nice. The pre shade has made the whole thing pop:thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Pre-shade has worked it's magic here Bob. :thumb2: It's got the distinct Tomcat patchy look. I recently attended a test build of AMK Tomcats...my my so many different styles and all had that patchy look.

Looking forward to the decalling but I would still suggest glossing the surface. You'll never know how these decals will react.

Cheers,
Richard

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers guys. :smiling3:

Richard, I actually started the decals last night, and they have gone down fine over the Hataka paint.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Bob
That paint job looks really good. As a serial failer with preshades I am most impressed. The weapons look good - makes the model eyecatching :thumb2:
Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
What Jim said Bob I must admit that im to worryied to try what you have accomplished on my very exspensive kit as I think I will balls it up so i'll proberly do it how I always paint my models an that's the straight from factory look an at least i'll know It will look ok I think you guys doin this are really artist as well as modellers but that's my opinion
chris

D

Deleted member 7181

Looking great.

As another that yet needs to master the preshade technique I'm impressed with how good it looks when done well.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi again Bob just been thinkin ( an yes it hurt lol :smiling: ) lookin back from the start of your build them canopy masks do they do them in 1/32 nd scale an now for a daft question but are they sticky an will they leave a resadude marks on the glass ? an are they very dear to buy ? as ive never used them on my builds as I use humbroll maskoll so are they better that the humbroll ? remember im only just comin back into aircraft kits
chris

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob

Chris, the masks came with the kit. They shouldn't leave residue, I guess I'll find out when I take them off.

As for preshading, have a go mate. Worst case scenario some IPA and cotton buds will clean it all off to try again. :smiling3:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher

Chris, the masks came with the kit. They shouldn't leave residue, I guess I'll find out when I take them off.

As for preshading, have a go mate. Worst case scenario some IPA and cotton buds will clean it all off to try again. :smiling3:
Cheers Bob for your reply on my questions an I dont think i can do preshading as you have to have an airbrush dont you ? an i hav'nt as from what i have seen of what you guys do this you thin the paint right down so the paint underneath shows through am i right ? as i have never done this as i use humbroll rattle cans
chris

Mr Bowcat

SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cheers Ian. :smiling3:

Chris, didn't realise you don't airbrush. Probably not possible with rattle cans, although maybe doable with brushes.

And yes you are correct. Top coats are very thin so the preshading can be allowed to show through.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Bob cheers for your answers at least I now know whats possible when I build my big kits an it wont be as realistic as yours but I will enjoy the builds when I start an yours looks great everything id like mine to look like but well I cant have everything great build you have done
chris

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Chris, didn't realise you don't airbrush. Probably not possible with rattle cans, although maybe doable with brushes.
It’d probably be doable with very careful masking, of the type where you make sure the edges are lifted off the model so you get a little spray under it. However, it’d be rather you than me having to mask all the panels on an entire aircraft model in that manner …

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
It’d probably be doable with very careful masking, of the type where you make sure the edges are lifted off the model so you get a little spray under it. However, it’d be rather you than me having to mask all the panels on an entire aircraft model in that manner …
Thanks for the advise Jakko I think when I do build them i'll do them in my own way an done with it
chris