Box of Bits

First Name
Gary
I'm probably going to answer my own question but even after my first couple of builds I have a small collection of bits left over. Both optional bits and decals. I assume everyone keeps these, just in case and for use in any future builds ? I hate throwing good parts away so I guess I'll keep them.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Yes gary keep everything that you think might be useful . Ive ended up with a big plastic spares box , a spare decal box and a metal spares box , and some of the stuff in them is very random but one day you might use it. I once used a plastic cotton bobbin to replace the nose ring on a mig 21 after i accidentally melted it , proving that you never know when something might come in useful. Cheers tony

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I keep most things to a degree. Things like pilot figures i tend to sell on evilbay as sometimes, depending on the scale and manufacturer, i get enough money from them to buy a couple of pots of paint etc.

But weapons, wheels and clear parts i always keep regardless.

First Name
Gary
Like many I suspect I have jars of screws and furniture fittings that actually really do come in useful from time to time. My dad was an hydraulic engineer and I think I got the habit from watching him keep every seal, nut, bolt, valves and odd pieces of metal. So collection of plastic bits officially started :thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Oh i forgot to include the huge boxful of spare bombs , missiles and drop tanks too!

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Yes indeed, keep them — you’ll never know when they might come in handy on a future model that just happens to, for example, lack a piece that you didn’t need on another, or for conversions.

Keep this hobby up long enough and you’ll get so many spares boxes full of this kind of stuff that you’ll need to start sorting the bits and pieces into specific ones if you ever want to find anything at all anymore. Don’t ask me how I know :smiling3:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YEA Gary ive got loads of stuff fom left over ship builds as right I think that might come in handy so into a spares box it goes
chris

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've got a couple of boxes with bits and pieces in. I also keep all my instruction sheets in a folder along with any unused decals. Then there's the old ice cream tub with straight bits of sprue that I use for paint stirrers.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Gary, bits always come in handy, esp when some kind forum member can send you the part you've lost !

I keep the box art, and instruction sheets, all dated when I built the kit.
Parts are staring to go into boxes like Tony in small plastic bags with the model name on .

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Do this in fits and starts Gary, often wonder why as don't normally want to build the same model twice, but this has changed recently.
All my spares figures are in two boxes, one German and the other Russian. Again all parts in separate bags, left legs, etc etc.
Your able to make up your own poses this way

First Name
Stuart
Like many I keep all my spares, instruction go in a folder with any additional notes on them such as colour schemes & paint equivalents. Also comes in handy for a bit of scratch building!