Brassed Off

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Well, what can I say, I have been spending all day trying out brass and gold paints, the idea was to find the most realistic brass.
These are the ones I've tried,
Vallejo Metal Color - gold
Vallejo Model Air - bright brass
Zero - gold leaf
AK Interactive true metal - brass
Alclad - gold
These have been used on grey primer, black primer and black gloss primer, have been put on diecast metal which is what I am going to paint eventually in brass.
The AK was a disaster either brushed on or applied with finger with white spirit, also rubbed off too easily, will try again in 24 hours, Alclad just didnt look like gold I've ever seen, the Vallejo model air was a metallic but looked washed out, like it's been outside in the sun. This left Vallejo metal and Zero both came out well but the Vallejo metal had a deeper edge to it, but overall I'm a bit disappointed there doesnt appear to be anything that has the deep shine unlike what can be achieved with say Molotow chrome, so I'll have to accept the best I can achieve and that appears to be Vallejo metal color but gold as opposed to brass. I'm a bit fed up now, was hoping for something which really shone, hey ho.:confused:

D

Deleted member 7181

I think it would be a mission to replicate at scale but a candy chrome effect would probably give you what you are looking for.

Basically spray the item in a chrome effect paint, like the molotow or I think alclad have a good one, then spray over it with something to give it the brass hue.

I'd do that with a candy, but in the model world you might achieve it with a clear yellow, maybe with a touch of clear red.

It really depends on how far you're prepared to go to get exactly what you want, but you've already done a fair bit of testing so might be worth a shot.

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Will give the molotow chrome with a clear yellow a try, might as well give it a go as it's already taken a bit of testing, the other issue I have is that the parts are big and numerous. :thumb2:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi mark , another option is the Vallejo Liquid metals range . These are an alcohol based paint designed for brushing , im not sure if you could spray them . They do several bright metallic colours , the red gold is a very brassy looking colour . Might be worth a try . Ive used the liquid silver and its very shiny , similar to molotov chrome , but mainly on oleo legs on aircraft and occasionally to highlight small different shaded panels on a nat metal finish. You can pick them up on ebay for about £5.50 or so , seems a bit expensive at first glance but it is a 35 ml bottle so not that bad . Cheers tony