Bravely attempting a set of 28mm figures....

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi folks,

As the thread title says:-

I'm having a go at 28mm figures, set of 4 German officers! I am considering modifying a brush, cutting down to a very few bristles for the ultra fine detail required....
Figures all primed and ready to start colour blocking! G20220522_144251.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Gavin. They look nice. Good luck with them…….but don’t destroy a brush. Small brushes with few hairs do not help with detail painting. They dry up too quickly and don’t let the paint flow. A brush with cut down hairs will never hold a point either. To get good sharp detail you need properly thinned paint and a good quality brush with a sharp tip. I’ve done loads of 28s over the years and my “go too” brush for almost everything on the figure, including eye balls, is a number 1 sized brush.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Interesting stuff Gavin :smiling3:
I shall tag along and follow your progress if you don't mind.
Andy

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi Gavin. They look nice. Good luck with them…….but don’t destroy a brush. Small brushes with few hairs do not help with detail painting. They dry up too quickly and don’t let the paint flow. A brush with cut down hairs will never hold a point either. To get good sharp detail you need properly thinned paint and a good quality brush with a sharp tip. I’ve done loads of 28s over the years and my “go too” brush for almost everything on the figure, including eye balls, is a number 1 sized brush.
Thanks for that Tim, I have indeed got a new unused #1 size brush which will be perfect. These figures are made by Zvezda and were just a cheap ebay purchase, however I'm astounded by the moulding quality and excellent detail. G

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks for that Tim, I have indeed got a new unused #1 size brush which will be perfect. These figures are made by Zvezda and were just a cheap ebay purchase, however I'm astounded by the moulding quality and excellent detail. G
Yeah, I've just zoomed right in on them .... They are amazingly well detailed, especially considering the scale!! :smiling3:
Andy

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Yeah, I've just zoomed right in on them .... They are amazingly well detailed, especially considering the scale!! :smiling3:
Andy
Yeah I know! I wasn't expecting much when I bought them, never even heard of the manufacturer because they're not a big name or anything. But the quality and detail is arguably the best I've ever seen. Definitely recommended. G

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Mind if I join Gavin.

Any figure painting is a must .

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Correcto on the brush Tim, I have even used No.2 for fine detail. It all depends on how well a brush keeps its sharp tip. Trick is not to let paint go up all the way to the hilt. Half way is enough to load up with paint. It takes guts to thin paint until nearly transparent to paint. Try to refrain from covering surfaces with the first pass. The color will show with the build up of layers.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Gavin
I'll follow your progress with interest. Good tip from Tim and Richard. A size 1 quality brush that holds a point is the best. I think that it was an old post from Tim that made me realize that truth a long time ago.
Jim

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Hi Gavin
I'll follow your progress with interest. Good tip from Tim and Richard. A size 1 quality brush that holds a point is the best. I think that it was an old post from Tim that made me realize that truth a long time ago.
Jim
Thanks Jim,

You're welcome indeed. I'm quite enjoying this scale thus far, there is a lot less surface area to paint than the Tamiya 1/16 scale figures! G

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
20220608_211627.jpg
Managed to get an iron cross on the uniform! Not the best photo but it does resemble an ultra fine cross up close.....

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
20220615_193444.jpg
Uniform and attachments now colour blocked on all 4 figures. Also 1st layer of flesh tones on faces complete. Still to do:-

Paint eyes
Finish detailing face
Paint collars and insignia
Paint cap
Highlight and shadow main body of figure
Detail Uniform, Cap and attachments
Wash entire figure with a shade....

I'm not the best photographer, apologies there, but I'm mega enjoying this challenge! G

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice and tidy Gavin. Regarding eyes, don’t try to do all the pupil detail, you’ll find it almost impossible and end up with pop eyes and complete frustration. All you really need is a dark T shape with the horizontal bar defining the top of the eyeball and the vertical line acting as the pupil. Once you have that in place you can cut the eyeball back to size with your flesh paint.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
All looking good, not easy at all, but when it comes together it's so pleasing .

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I've read in a book I purchased that many 28mm figure painters don't bother with the eyes because they will be barely perceptible. Also the heads on these figures are definitely even smaller than regular figures of this scale, certainly smaller than the heads of warhammer figures.
However, I'm going for it!