Bravely attempting a set of 28mm figures....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I always do eyes on 28s. They aren’t too hard once you get the knack. It just needs a good sharp brush with properly thinned paint and a steady hand. I don’t bother with them on smaller stuff though.

A good way to sort out what is needed is to observe figures and heads while watching TV. It’s surprising how much detail you include because you think it’s there rather than what you actual see when you look. You only need to include that which you can see.

I would say the heads are in proportion to the bodies on those figures Gavin. The trouble is, most gaming miniatures are caricatures to a certain extent, so they exaggerate things like heads, hands and weapons, and we get used to seeing them like that. Accurate representations can therefore look wrong in context.

Reactions: JR

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
I always do eyes on 28s. They aren’t too hard once you get the knack. It just needs a good sharp brush with properly thinned paint and a steady hand. I don’t bother with them on smaller stuff though.

A good way to sort out what is needed is to observe figures and heads while watching TV. It’s surprising how much detail you include because you think it’s there rather than what you actual see when you look. You only need to include that which you can see.

I would say the heads are in proportion to the bodies on those figures Gavin. The trouble is, most gaming miniatures are caricatures to a certain extent, so they exaggerate things like heads, hands and weapons, and we get used to seeing them like that. Accurate representations can therefore look wrong in context.
Yeah, that's what I mean. Heads are enlarged on many gaming figures, thus making things slightly easier. I'd say it takes a fair bit of precision skill to detail 28mm figures, well that's what I've found doing these!

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think every one feels the same about figures, we just don't do them every day. So every technique you've learnt you have try to remember .Still suppose that's part of being a hobby modeller .

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
20220617_194229.jpg
This will be my last update until this project is complete folks. The faces took every bit of precision skill I had in me; was harder than surface grinding 2 plates of steel down to within microns (one of my tricky engineering tasks I used to encounter)!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
... like, decades of practice...
;)
I do other things as well, I’ll have you know LOL…..actually I pretty much stopped painting little blokes for about twenty five years. Picked it up again in my mid fifties, and gradually worked at improving the breed from where I was to where I am now. Current stuff is the result of around eight years hard work…..

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
This project is now finished. I have uploaded photos into the completed figures section. Thanks to all for your advice and support.
Gavin.

PS I inadvertently upload my thread twice, so I've got an unnecessary duplicate! How do I delete an unwanted thread? Can anyone advise please?
Cheers, G