Brickie's Picchiatello

B

Brickie

OK, I'm in with this.

It'll be a diorama of an Italian Ju-87 (known to the Regia Aeronautica as a "Picchiatello", a pun on the words meaning "crazy" or "mad" and "(aeronautical) dive"), which has put down in the desert through lack of fuel, sometime in 1941. A British patrol has just turned up to capture the aircraft and crew, who don't seem too sorry not to have a long walk back to base.

I'm using the Airfix Ju-87B in 1/48

And a pair of CMK Resin Italian Pilots

(I have already mentally christened these guys Mario (left) and Luigi (right))

Currently trying to source their captors/rescuers - I believe Tamiya are releasing their 1/32 Eighth Army figures in 1/48 this year, but I don't know when. If they're out before the end of the GB I'll use a couple of them, if not I'll find something else. (Any ideas, please let me know)

A bit of experimenting for me as I've so far never

- Completed a 1/48 aircraft (my first one is on the workbench at the moment, this will be my second)

- Built a diorama

- Done anything with resin, ever

... So this'll be interesting!

B

Brickie

I had wondered about using an Armoured Car rather than infantry, but there appears to be a complete dearth of British armoured cars in 1/48 except for the Staghound, which wouldn't be around in 1941.

I suppose I could extend the "Captured" theme to having a German/Italian armoured car being used by the British. I gather there was a lot of that sort of thing in the desert campaign.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Try these Matt.

I don't know anything about the quality, but might be worth a punt...

Web Store - Modelling, Wargames, Collectors Miniatures

Cheers,

Ron

B

Brickie

Could work. They look a little crude, but might be a good fallback.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
You probably know these, but Tamiya do a set of 1/48 british Infantry (European Campaign)

They didn't all wear shorts in the Desert! lol

Might just work with a bit of modification.....

Ron

B

Brickie

I had been eyeing those up as well. I had assumed that shorts weren't universal (it gets cold in the desert at night), so again I've got those as a "backup plan" if the Tamiya 1/48 Eighth Army set doesn't appear by the end of March :smiling3:

B

Brickie

Right, the PE and resin pilots have arrived, so once I've got the Warhawk off my bench, we'll get cracking.

B

Brickie

The Warhawk is done, here's the sprue shots. One bog-standard Airfix kit and one Eduard Zoom set to gussy up the cockpit a bit as it's going to be landed with the canopy open.

The canopy with the kit is supplied closed, but I'll see what I can do with a razor saw...

View attachment 38716View attachment 38717View attachment 38718View attachment 38719View attachment 38720View attachment 38721View attachment 38722

View attachment 42779

View attachment 42780

View attachment 42781

View attachment 42782

View attachment 42783

View attachment 42784

View attachment 42785

Picchiatello 007.jpg

Picchiatello 001.jpg

Picchiatello 002.jpg

Picchiatello 003.jpg

Picchiatello 004.jpg

Picchiatello 005.jpg

Picchiatello 006.jpg

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Nice idea Matt.

Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

Tony.

B

Brickie

The office is built and the fuselage sewn up - photos to come. The Eduard Zoom set went on perfectly, the only truly fiddly bit being the strap across the fuselage behind the gunner's seat, which had to be inserted after the fuselage went together. Luckily, I'd just acquired some Zip Kicker for an upcoming experiment with rigging, so a quick spritz of that once it was in place and sorted...

B

Brickie

I've had rather more time for modelling than I've had chance to take photos over the last week, so I've motored on. The Ju87 is essentially built, with just "kibbles and bits" to attach. I spent a happy couple of hours with "Escape to Victory", a reel of Tamiya tape and a very sharp knife masking the cockpit glasshouse.

I've also assembled and undercoated the pilot models. The chap bending over actually works quite well reclining, so he's going to be sitting on the wing while the leaning pilot will either be resting on the tailplane struts or the aileron, depending how I end up posing it.

The next thing to do is start assembling my tommies - I went for the Tamiya European Campaign guys, and it looks like I'll have plenty spare.

I'm also giving some thought to basing - at 1/48 scale is it better to base with actual sand or sand-like substance, or to get a rough texture and sand-coloured paint?

B

Brickie

Cheers - done with the mark 1 hairy stick and some Tamiya tape. Some of those bits were a devil to mask...

J

James Q

I look forward to see the figures once painted, looks like it'll be a good one!

B

Brickie

Sorry about a bit of a stall - I've been a bit busy with other stuff and trying to source some sand for the base. Figures are mostly painted, but my wife with the steadier hand is going to add a bit of detail...

Will be done for the finish though, no fear.