Bridge construction

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
The bridge is nearly there, but a lot of work still ahead, it sure needs the second side beam what would be nice is 12 feet in one full length, not so , I will check out the timber mob on Tuesday if they have lengths of 19 mm pine 12 feet in lengths and 2 and a half inches high 20200530_153842.jpg 20200530_155720.jpg 20200530_155735.jpg

Pic one the joining of the two 7 foot lengths, I used a length of 42mm square timber to level the two half's took some time, finely under way screwing the side beam on, finely finished screwing the side beam in place, sadly wasn't in one full length, and yeah that is where the bridge started to sag, I clamped on two 6 foot lengths of ply that helped, will for sure nee the second beam.

The next two pics, second pic not so bad, third pic you can see a staging there, the bridge is now in the garage, fits nicely, wont be back to the bridge till Wednesday when I ill cut the the end sections, be five feet in length hopping that will stop the sagging, a lot of work building bridges.

Getting there , Tony from down under

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
I stuck the latest bridge update pics in the wrong thread, here is the latest pics to keep it up to date20200627_160941.jpg20200627_161058.jpg

Have stopped work on the bridge for a while , have started nailing down the track on the station modules got four to do, taking the longest to finish with wiring too.

Tony from down under

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
The bridge is starting to look like a bridge, didn't have enough dowel to finish the bridge yesterday will get more on Thursday, when I screwed one hanger on the other side it pulled the arch into the centre of the bridge, I unscrewed the support post, the big test worked on a big high.

The arch needs to be sanded, might need some filling, will look stunning indeed, the bridge be standing 2 foot from water line clearance , need to add 5 inches, bridge be painted gray.

Where the saw horses are is where the piers be sitting , 14 foot main span with 12 foot wide river.

20200831_145231.jpg20200831_145255.jpg20200831_145314.jpg
Tony from down under, be making the most of the side of the house now the gravel is in, a bit warm yesterday afternoon, will solve that by covering with a tarp.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
The bridge is starting to look like a bridge, didn't have enough dowel to finish the bridge yesterday will get more on Thursday, when I screwed one hanger on the other side it pulled the arch into the centre of the bridge, I unscrewed the support post, the big test worked on a big high.

The arch needs to be sanded, might need some filling, will look stunning indeed, the bridge be standing 2 foot from water line clearance , need to add 5 inches, bridge be painted gray.

Where the saw horses are is where the piers be sitting , 14 foot main span with 12 foot wide river.

View attachment 397052View attachment 397053View attachment 397054
Tony from down under, be making the most of the side of the house now the gravel is in, a bit warm yesterday afternoon, will solve that by covering with a tarp.
HI Tony yea the bridge is really lookin good now it comin on great an you say you will paint it grey but if my memeroy severes me right i thought the real bridge looked a sort of very dark green ? anyway hope you feel better boyo ?
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony yea the bridge is really lookin good now it comin on great an you say you will paint it grey but if my memeroy severes me right i thought the real bridge looked a sort of very dark green ? anyway hope you feel better boyo ?
chris
Hi Chris, great to hear from you, how is the Tiger going, yeah very happy with the bridge and it is working , the first train across the bridge going to pure awesome, can't wait.

I rather have the bridge painted gray like most of our bridges are painted.

Still not well struggled to mow the grass today, GP has a lot to sort out Thursday, I may end up back in hospital., no work on the Corona Sea check out this pic using as a back scene to hide track .

IMG_0275.jpg

Tony from down under.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Good news is the bridge construction is now completed need to sand the top of the arch ready painting and track laying plus bus wiring .

20200919_124057.jpg20200919_124119.jpg

Where the saw horses are is where the 6 inch wide bridge piers be going, main span is 14 feet, next job to modify the bridge piers 5 inches higher for a 2 foot water line clearance .

Tony from down under

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
That is something else Tony.

Completely amazing!!

ATB

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Tony the bridge is comin on an it should look great with the trains crosing it when you start talking about your bridge i get mixed up as i dint know wheather its the rail bridge or the ship bridge ? lol hope you are well
chris

Last edited:

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
That is something else Tony.

Completely amazing!!

ATB

Andrew
Hi Andrew, thanks will look much better when sanded and a coat of gray paint and track down, next week.
Tony

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Beautiful. Very impressive. PaulE
Hi PaulE, many thanks, after tomorrow afternoon the bridge will be finished , will see if I have time to lay the track down, the deck is already marked, wont paint the deck.
Tony from down under.

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
Breaking news, the bridge's construction is finished even the double track is down , one more job to do is making up bur wire harness for the bus wires, have to wait till a cooler day, only two days next week as we are having a heat wave of four days straight of 36 degree temps, won't be able to work in the shed.

20201110_131714.jpg

My good wife let me work in the garage nailing the track down, will do the same when I do the wiring.

20201110_131729.jpg

20201110_131714.jpg20201110_131729.jpgend of the bridge be two curved track decks, northern end be a 12 foot curved deck and southern end be a 4 foot curved deck, the southern end the track be level northern end will start on the grade dropping down 6 inches.. Hopefully will have enough room to join up one at a time to solder in place the brass track strips and cut the track.

On a high , Tony from hot down under

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Tony the Bridge is lookin great an i cannot see any sagging so youve done a very good job on it is it very heavy ? can you lift it your self or do you need desley to help you with it ? :thinking: these wives are handy to have ear'nt they lol :rolling: :smiling2::thumb2:as jen has been helping me with my tiger build as she has been holding small bits an steadying my hand when i get the shakes but its comin on how is the ship goin ?
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Tony the Bridge is lookin great an did you get all your spitty mag copyies ?
chris

ozdell

Rest In Peace
First Name
Tony
HI Tony the Bridge is lookin great an i cannot see any sagging so youve done a very good job on it is it very heavy ? can you lift it your self or do you need desley to help you with it ? :thinking: these wives are handy to have ear'nt they lol :rolling: :smiling2::thumb2:as jen has been helping me with my tiger build as she has been holding small bits an steadying my hand when i get the shakes but its comin on how is the ship goin ?
chris
Hi Chris, many thanks for the kind words yeah I am on a high that my bridge design actually worked, I tried a few and they didn't work, then I decided to build the bridge in one full piece, yes I can pick it up my self, some times ask Desley, I plan to modify my trolley so I can move it from the garage to where it be going in the back yard .

Still need to do some more detail later after the layout is up and running, will have led lights on the bridge like to have led's that change colour be awesome, yes agree what you say wife's come in good handy and she does help me when needed.

Haven't done any work on my ship for a week, be working the bridge windows, how much detail do I do, there is a lot of build tables and walls, especially at the back of the bridge and front, which is a great help to get the angles right., there is four support ports for the com deck and they are trucked away out the way .

Not good you getting the shacks could the be when you get old I am having the same issue especially after working in the yard, are you seeing anyone for that, I am , aly seeing Physio, have a lot of pain in my right hand, have trouble hand shaking bloody hurts, not seeing the GP till the end f November .

Tony from hot down under