British 60lb rockets

First Name
Dave
Im at the painting stage of a Monogram 1/48 Hawker Typhoon.Does anyone know what colours the 60lb unguided rockets these aircraft carried were painted?.The kit instructions say light grey with olive green warheads.But they look a much darker colour in the black and white pictures i have.The warheads are probably dark green like bombs of the period.Any help would be much appreciated.

E

Edgar Brooks

The most common colour quoted is Army-style bronze green, for bodies and heads, often with a narrow red band around the head, about a quarter of the way back from the nose. However, there are reports of some being black (the bodies, at least,) so it's impossible to be totally pedantic about it. The 25lb solid-shot example, in the RAF Museum, and the 60lb head, which I saw at Cardington, in the museum's reserve collection, are both bronze green.

Edgar

First Name
Dave
Thanks Edgar.Found a picture last night in my copy of 'The RAF of WW2 in colour'.Its of a Mosquito being armed and the rockets look a greenish colour.So i will go with the colour you suggest.Thanks again.