British Desert Rat Desert Storm 1991. 120mm

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Evening All,
I've taken today off.....(Birthday Boy) and tried to crack on with this here figure.

Still trying to get the tones right, having served in the First Gulf War my skin went quite brown.
What I do not want to do is give him a false spray on tan you see on people.........
I'm intending to scratch a beret on his head, unless there is any one out there know where I can
get one.

You'll notice that I've used different shades on the background colour of the material. This always happened with
different contractors making the uniforms......

The dark green square is where the Desert Rat badge was. It will become a rank badge, (Sgt) it's where I sewed my rank badge.

The top SA 80 is from the kit, the bottom one is from Rob, where Richard directed me.

Advice on painting skin accepted with open arms.......

Cheers Mike :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

D

Deleted member 6559

A nice tidy job so far Mike.

So interesting what you say about the different shades of material from the various contractors. It's always been my assumption, especially about WW2 German uniforms, and how much harder would it have been to maintain standardisation under wartime conditions? Yet the rivet counters take great pains to say it was otherwise.

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
A nice tidy job so far Mike.

So interesting what you say about the different shades of material from the various contractors. It's always been my assumption, especially about WW2 German uniforms, and how much harder would it have been to maintain standardisation under wartime conditions? Yet the rivet counters take great pains to say it was otherwise.

Peter,
I found it all through my career, in my later years in the service, I was in the Quartermasters and even with new clothing, whether it be straight green uniforms or camouflaged combat uniforms...... and when washed the difference became more pronounced...... still have some of my combats in the wardrobe......

Regards Mike :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Richard48

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Happy birthday Mike!,Nice to see you back amongst the figure gang.Glad you got the SA.80 ok.Robs a helpful chap with spare parts.I will have a look in my spares box and im sure i have a beret wearing head for your figure!.Will have a search in daylight and P.M you.
Keep plugging away as you are doing fine.
Cheers from Richard.

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi Richard,

Many thanks, cheers for having a look for a head/beret for me...much appreciated. More practice painting skin......lol :tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

C

cryton 5

Peter,
I found it all through my career, in my later years in the service, I was in the Quartermasters and even with new clothing, whether it be straight green uniforms or camouflaged combat uniforms...... and when washed the difference became more pronounced...... still have some of my combats in the wardrobe......

hello ,first a big thumbs up and total respect with passion this build and respect bravo excellent detail a truly honorable effort nice one

Reactions: JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Mike good to see you back .
Figures coming on well.
John .

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Hi John,
Yes a visit to the UK for 2 birthday celebrations......my son being one of them for his Monkey bike.
Liked building the bike so much have ordered 2 more..

Have done more painting on the figure and hope to get some more done today and post some
pictures later this afternoon.

Hope you are well.

Cheers Mike :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Mike Mortimore

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michael
Good Morning Guys,
Firstly like to thank Richard on 2 accounts, firstly pointing me in the direction to obtain a decent SA 80. Also trying to supply a beret covered head which went AWOL while in the post,, escaped by breaking out of the envelope.......lol.
I've cracked on with the uniform painting and camouflage. In places on the trousers and jacket I'm reasonably happy, but I'm not truly happy with the body armour vest. Still lots to do, skin tone not quite right on the arms. Also need to research how to ''weather'' him as dust was the biggest problem in the desert.
Advice welcome.

Cheers Mike :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping: 20190324_093304.jpg20190324_093320.jpg20190324_093341.jpg20190324_093406.jpg

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I have been watching from afar Mike. However I will pull my chair closer now. This really is looking good sir.

C

cryton 5

too add ,love the detail life like coming on fab keep in there cry

D

Deleted member 6559

Sorry Mike - I think I was away when you posted this. Looks like it's coming along very nicely indeed - good clean work.