British Infantry 1944 Colours

F

Fenlander

I have probably bitten off far more than I can chew here but, to go with my Churchill Crocodile as an attempt at a diorama (stop sniggering Ron.....) I got the Tamiya British Infantry on patrol set. On finding that some of their kit is not included and some is of a different period to the weapons carried, I bought the Accurate Armour upgrade set which gives the correct bayonet to go with the rifles carried. It also gives a Bren Gun spare barrel bag and some other bits including Burgens that would have been used by Commandos and Assault troops landing on D-Day.

I then found that the plain helmets may be wrong as they do not have the camo nets on them. So, a set of Hornet heads have been ordered....... As it now stands, the figures have cost slightly more than the basic Churchill Crocodile kit, maybe a tad silly as I have no idea if I can make them look good enough to use but that's what the hobby is about, I keep telling myself.....

So, colours. I have based the figures with Vallejo British Uniform colour, which I think may be a tad dark but will be ok for shadows and I will lighten for highlights.

My issue is for the webbing. The instructions suggest 'Sand' but in a lot of reference pictures, the webbing bits have a distinct green tinge, almost a verdigris colour. Does anyone have a suggestion for an appropriate colour for the webbing please?

D

dubster72

I have some British troops in the Normandy campaign to paint Graham & I am planning to do the webbing with the same Humbrol paint that I use for RLM 02. It's enamel so probably no use to you, but it's Humbrol 31.

F

Fenlander

\ said:
I have some British troops in the Normandy campaign to paint Graham & I am planning to do the webbing with the same Humbrol paint that I use for RLM 02. It's enamel so probably no use to you, but it's Humbrol 31.
That is interesting Patrick as that is quite a distinct grey! To quote a really annoying popular music song "I wasn't expecting that"!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Maybe not much use to you Graham, but I've got a bottle of Vallejo Sand colour where the red pigment keeps separating out - leaving a yellow with a greenish tint.

F

Fenlander

The Vallejo British Uniform does that Dave. When I was airbrushing the figures last night a distinct green hue came to the top of the paint cup