Bronco Chinese PLAAF J10/J10A "Vigorous Dragon Fighter 1/48 Fb4004

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Where I am up to now.

Well I'm not really tackling much painting as yet as waiting for Compresor and stuff ....... Anyway lots of little things done and decided to assemble the ordnance and stores ( blimey you get a lot ) so decided to build them all and number them for later when it comes to painting etc. Majority of the missiles come with a Perspex nosecone( camera ) I believe and they will be attached once painted.

Question: live missiles? I'm not 100% sure on this but some countries have a red band painted on the missile to denote live or dummy, but neither in the decals nor pic ref does it show this. How does one find out

I've also constructed the undercarriage bays and had some thinned Rlm Grey XF22 so used that as a thin primer ( will be intermediate blue once painted and then picked out detail/ wash

Next little builds will be the undercarriage

Pics and comments welcome

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well now it's the turn of undercarriage ( there are 12 pieces ) for the rear undercarriage legs and 7 to the nose gear

Main gear wheels are flattened in look so more realistic looking (the supporting arms are not shown but I'll be putting these on later.

Robert

Pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

N

noble

That office looks the business mate very well done, looking good so far.

scott

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well just before I went to work this afternoon for a late I got chance to button her up and I had been working on the wing structure ( delta )

After 3 dry fitting sessions I realised the cockpit tub which snugly fits into the right half has to be aligned correctly first and then to align the left half ( simple you may say but it did take sone jiggery pokery. Cemented the nose section only ( that was step 1) then the air duct goes in next and alighting that, there are plugs half way down the fuselage that the engine fan end sits on. Once demented in place and all snug I sealed the top half of the fuselage to the tail.( step 2 complete)

There is the nose gear well that sits just behind the air intake which has groves to sir in so once that cemented and sealed up I buttoned up the tail and taped it all up ( looking nice and straight lines now )

The wing section is a piece of beauty. It is not a straight wing say like a Mirage but actually has a built in type of hollow for obvious airflow. I drilled the holes in the lower wing for the ordnance as I'm planning on a real bad ass fighter loaded with weaponry.Had a few errors with tiring to get the front curvature of the wing to sit right but I'll address that tomorrow ( you can see the error I made but it will get sorted I'll get some more pics up tomorrow.

Comments as always welcome

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work robert , im at about the same stage with mine . Careful with the wing fitting though , i suggest lots of dry fitting and fettling , the join should be seamless with no step , only a very small section near the rear of the wing has a difference in level - the rest is a smooth curve from fuselage to wing. I think im going to struggle with mine as the wings were a bit warped like the fuselage, cheers tony

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Nice work robert , im at about the same stage with mine . Careful with the wing fitting though , i suggest lots of dry fitting and fettling , the join should be seamless with no step , only a very small section near the rear of the wing has a difference in level - the rest is a smooth curve from fuselage to wing. I think im going to struggle with mine as the wings were a bit warped like the fuselage, cheers tony
Definatly agree with the dry fitting as I played a bit with the wing an fuselage and seems there is a 2/3mm gap both sides of the wing to fuselage more promenant at the cockpit end so lots of fettling needed. At this stage I may take the same approach to when I buttoned her up. Start at the front and work my way back checking seams and smooth lines

I'll post some pics before I go yo work

Regards

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I've had a few more dry fits this morning, and then the penny dropped its designed like this ( the kit I mean)

First shots are with the wing dry fitted on the fuselage ( gaps galore ( lots of filling etc etc?

The other shots are with the wings evenly brought in still dry fitted but all lines line up.

It'll be differant obviously when it comes to committing to cement but I feel a lot better now

(did I ever say I don't build jets??) but I'm actually enjoying this build more and more I'm looking at F16 Falcon in same scale........ Maybe...... We shall see if I'm still happy at the end of this one first.

Pics

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Another quick update I balanced the model on my hand and it seem to sit over the nose so hoping it will be the same once undercarriage legs on but just to make sure of a nose sitter I put 1 strip of lead weight in the nosecone

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I did exactly the same thing robert ,I put some in just to be sure!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work on the interior Robert. Those wing root gaps are going to require some work though.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Nice work on the interior Robert. Those wing root gaps are going to require some work though.
Thanks joe for positive comments, as I mentioned earlier the gaps will disappear once the wing is aligned and lifted prior to cementing ( I'm hoping clean lines all round, well from my dry test fitting this is the case

Will hopefully get it all sorted over weekend

Wish me luck

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
I did exactly the same thing robert ,I put some in just to be sure!
Thanks Tony ( you can never be to sure with some kits and it's my first GB so got to make a good effort heh

Robert

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
\ said:
Better safe than sorry with nose weight.
Cheers Graham ( I'm hoping to win 1st prize on this , now there is a prize right????? ( hahahahaha

Robert

D

Deleted member 4539

Looks like you are going to have fun with the wings.

As you said once pulled up should look good.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Well I had a few hours to kill over the weekend and so tackled the wing join. I don't know if others have built this ( I know Tony's doing the twin seater ) but I found this part quite challenging to say the least.

I started on the left wing Join and lower fuselage, this all married up well and the Sunday I decides to sort the right wing join but I noticed that although the join was exact on the left it just wouldn't or fear of breaking the seal.( the wing is warped ever so slightly on the right side )

So a little bit of jiggery pokery was needed.

There was a fine line each side that needed attention and filling so I taped up the wing either side of gap )and used white squadron putty. Once this dry I smoothed over mr surfacer 500. I still need to tidy up a bit light sanding/ smooth) and maybe rescribe a few panel lines but I think I pulled it off ( best I could )

Pics and comments welcome

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Just did a test dry fit of the undercarriage and I thought please with the weight in the nose don't be a tail sitter! Well you can slap me with a hairy stick as she naturally sits low at the rear anyway but she looks very menacing(IMHO )

Comments as always welcome

Regards

Robert

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg