Bronco Comet plus bits....

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Had this one kicking around in the stash for some time and as SWMBO has let me off the hook after finishing some 1:1 modelling of her design....
bathroom1.jpg bathroom2.jpg
I decided to break myself back into build mode with theis...
boxtopcomet.jpg
I had forgotten how much metal and resin I had added to the box but there are resin Accurate Armour replacement wheels, Voyager metal, Eduard metal, Bronco tracks (working) JD Model/Aber Besa m/g's (2) plus other bits.
I made a start on the suspension by replacing the wheels..
susspension1b.jpg
As you can see from the kit items, there is a lot of detail that is missing or nor represented correctly. To start with I drilled out the centres of the resin wheels all the way through as the resin inside the hub was stopping correct alignment of the wheels themselves . This took the form of mounting a hand drill fitted with a 4mm drill into my bench vice and using that as a steady rest while I turned the drill handle and held the wheel in my other hand allowing the drill to do the work. Once I had all the wheels drilled out I then cut 1.5mm from the back of each hub and c/a'd the rear wheel to the front half. The suspension was then assembled as per the instructions except that I cut off the locating pins on the three centre swing arms, allowing them to move.
More after dinner...

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
OK back with you....
I then cut a 1mm spacer to sit on the arm covers one of which can be seen between the two road wheels. And used this to space out the wheels and align them all.
susspension1a.jpg
While allowing the c/a to harden I cut of the front of the turret and replace this with a resin aftermarket part complete with canvas gun cover and added the Aber main gun to replace the kit item.
turret1.jpg
turret1a.jpg
Just a quick look at the other items obtained for this build as names above...
20191227_170358.jpg
Track (workable)
brass.jpg
Brass...
brass1.jpg
And more brass...
Besa.jpg
And the two Besa's.
Once all was dry I then attached the hull top and replaced the cast in handles with copper wire bent to shape with the ends flattened to accept rivet heads.
reardeck.jpg
And that is where I am at the moment.
Cheers, Mike.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Really like the look of Cromwell and comet tanks, I’ll grab a chair and a cuppa :smiling4:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
Hope you had a good Christmas. Bathroom looks good - you're a man of many talents.
Interesting build. Certainly got a lot of am stuff to throw at it.
you have just switched on the light and an idea has come to mind...
Got me intrigued.
Jim

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike
Hope you had a good Christmas. Bathroom looks good - you're a man of many talents.
Interesting build. Certainly got a lot of am stuff to throw at it.

Got me intrigued.
Jim
Hello Jim,
Many thanks for the compliments. SWMBO is well happy with the bathroom.
Agreed with the comment about interesting build, it should be fun...
Nice quiet Christmas, far too much to eat, will now have to send SWMBO to the gym so that I can lose weight worrying about the next decorating item - she keeps looking in the kitchen.....
Mike.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
Hi Mike, a British Tank? I'm in, looking forward to seeing how you get on with this.
The Comet had a Rolls Royce meteor in it, the Nuffield Liberty was used in the Crusader & Centaur tanks.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Mike, a British Tank? I'm in, looking forward to seeing how you get on with this.
The Comet had a Rolls Royce meteor in it, the Nuffield Liberty was used in the Crusader & Centaur tanks.
Thanks Graeme,
I wasn't sure if it was the right one.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Bathroom looks good, are you allowed in or is it still the bucket in the shed for your ablutions.:smiling:
Plenty of PE by the looks of it Mike, looking fwd to seeing the build .

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Looks like it will be another great model :smiling3:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I have the resin Nuffield engine for this if your interested.
Scottie,
Further to your kind offer, I cannot accept as I cannot now get the engine in place without ripping the back half off.
Cheers,
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Bathroom looks good, are you allowed in or is it still the bucket in the shed for your ablutions.:smiling:
Plenty of PE by the looks of it Mike, looking fwd to seeing the build .
No, it's still me and the pigs in the pen....:sick:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike - bolt end missing from nut on second road wheel

They had a Comet at Beverley Museum of Transport that I used to visit regularly - probably have some actual photos (way back before digital appeared) somewhere
Simon
There is always one - one on every forum, there is always one!!!! :tongue-out3:
I noticed that on the pic, and no matter how many times you look there is always one that gets through, and just checked, you found the only one.
Mike.