Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Very, very nice Mike. A superb build with great details. The finish is excellent.
Really top notch stuff
All the best
Paul

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Very, very nice Mike. A superb build with great details. The finish is excellent.
Really top notch stuff
All the best
Paul
Paul,
Many thanks for the comments.
Mike

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
This can be overcome by taking the photo from further away and then cropping it to get rid of the unwanted expanse of nothing around the subject.

Wow … I take it the rectangular thing is a Benghazi cooker, and that it will actually work? :smiling3:
Jakko a Benghazi cooker was normally made from an old fuel can or drum, holes punched in the sides and filled with sand . Petrol was then poured into the sand and allowed to filter to the base. When lit the petrol would burn in a controlled manor, to increase the burn you mearly poked the stand with a stick, causing the petrol to burn at a greater rate.
We used them in Germany on exercise and they were safer than the pressure petrol cookers !

Last edited:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I figured that’s what the rectangular can with the side cut out represents, yes :smiling3:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
This can be overcome by taking the photo from further away and then cropping it to get rid of the unwanted expanse of nothing around the subject.

Wow … I take it the rectangular thing is a Benghazi cooker, and that it will actually work? :smiling3:
I did try the usually accepted method of taking the photo from a longer distance, but when enlarged in photoshop the image despite being sharpened still remained slightly blurred, which is what you are looking at now.
And yes it is a Benghazi burner, and as the vehicle represents a vehicle from the 7th Armoured Division and probably crewed by old desert hands, then they would stick to some old and tested methods.
Mike.

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
Got some more work done on the utilities with painting and pigmenting. Decided not to use the phone for the shots so got out the old camera...
73f1e626ed5e87db7051da46c0907a8a.jpg
(Image for discussion only.)
...And went to work to get the pics....
burnercan.jpg
First the "Benghazi" burner....
And then the mugs (complete with tea stains) billy can, frying pan and to be finished the old biscuit tin....
mugsnstuff.jpg
I hope you have as much fun looking at them as I did making them...
Next up is the cam net around the turret complete with hessian strips.
Cheers,
Mike.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can I have the carpet back please !

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I have seen some reference photos of the Cromwell having the pots and pans hanging across the back of the tank. Will you be doing that with yours Mike??

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
I have seen some reference photos of the Cromwell having the pots and pans hanging across the back of the tank. Will you be doing that with yours Mike??
Hi Steve,
The guys that came back from the desert first tried to hang the stuff on the sides and soon realised that would not work, so hang the goodies on the front and back of the vehicle. The burner and the billy can are already on the back, undecided about the frying pan. A pan of that size would be a prize possesion....
Mike

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Update,
Have strted work on the Hessian cam net, and after a few deliberations I decided to use a Hemp colour (Panzer Aces 314), under the light it looks very pale, but under natural light is seems to work.
So first job was to pick out the material - tissue would fall apart, epoxy putty you have to paint after, so decided on Air Mail letter paper. This is really thin, takes paint nicely, can be cut into strips and does not leave a white edge as the paint soaks in.
Once dry the paper was cut into scale 2" and 3" wide strips but this was not regulated, so looked at the 35 scale ruler and then cut accordingly. I mixed up at thin white glue (PVA) and water mix, cut the strips into 3 foot lengths approx, some are longer, some are shorter and let these soak in the glue mix for 24 hours. Then I cemented with white glue the cam net suitably dyed before hand onto the turret and cut, trimmed and folded as I went round.
That was 24 hours or more ago and today I added the first layer of strips. Once this is dry then I will repeat the process starting with cam net and then 'hessian' strips... pics below.
stripsoaking.jpg
Glue mix with strips in to soak....
layonstrip.jpg
Starting to lay on the strips...
firstlayer1.jpg
Roght side....
firstlayer2.jpg
Left side... All now set aside to dry and then onto the second layer.
Cheers,
Mike.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
Looks great. I would have imagined that soaking for 24hrs the paper would have started to disintegrate but it looks spot on. Love the kitchen ware.
Jim

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Hi Mike
Looks great. I would have imagined that soaking for 24hrs the paper would have started to disintegrate but it looks spot on. Love the kitchen ware.
Jim
Hello Jim,
Pleased you like the kitchen ware.
I think the acrylic paint has a retarding effect on the paper, and I think longer would in fact see it fall apart. I still have some in the mix, so will let you know.
Mike

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Gee Whiz Mr. Oldtimer Geriatric Type Sir,*

Are there no boundaries to your talents Mike??? This whole Comet project is just a masterpiece in the making. From the build, the etch, to the paint job, the weathering, cammo net and now to all the little tiny tidbits to go with it......

Absolutely stunning and jaw dropping stuff!!!!!!!

Prost auf Dich
Youngtimer

* My Mom always told me to respect my elders…………………….

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Gee Whiz Mr. Oldtimer Geriatric Type Sir,*

Are there no boundaries to your talents Mike??? This whole Comet project is just a masterpiece in the making. From the build, the etch, to the paint job, the weathering, cammo net and now to all the little tiny tidbits to go with it......

Absolutely stunning and jaw dropping stuff!!!!!!!

Prost auf Dich
Youngtimer

* My Mom always told me to respect my elders…………………….
Hello Youngster still with hair where it should be and not coming out of your nose and ears,
There I was just off to have my bag changed and saw your comment. Hell of a job trying the do a 'U' turn in the hallway with the zimmer frame....
Well it beats standing outside the pub with an icicle on the end of your nose while trying to get enough in your tin cup to buy a pint.
Very pleased you like it.
Gotta go, nurse is coming, don't know if it is Capri Sun orange or she has changed the person in the next room, got caught with that mistake before...
Take care yourself Youngster
Mike.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Mr. Mike,

I am sending you all my cleaning bills for the stuff I've ruined spitting out my drinks when reading your replies. So far, we are at €3,87 and rising. You will not get the bills for my injuries from falling on the floor, dying from laughter. For them, I have medical insurance Sir. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter....

Lovely work. I will give that technique a try.

Why would Scottie want to stand outside a pub with an icicle hanging from his nose trying to get enough in his tin cup for a pint??? I am starting to worry about him a bit…….