brush cover

First Name
Erik
Good day everyone,

Some of the paint brushes i got came with small, clear covers.

I am unsure if the intent is to cover the brushes when not in use. I have been doing so, but unless the cover goes on perfectly, it tends to bend some bristles and i am leaning more towards not using the covers.

Any experience, info or guidance that anyone has?

Cheers.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Yes, they are there to be used Erik. The idea is that you put the covers on then store the brushes vertically with the clear bit at the bottom. Any moisture and dilute paint then migrates away from the ferrule and doesn’t dry in there ruining the brush point. If you struggle to get them back on without catching the bristles the re-point the brushes first.

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The covers are there to protect the bristles when not in use as you surmised. The trick is just to be careful putting them. If you are storing the brushes in a rack they are not as necessary, if storing lying down in a box or drawer I would definitely use them

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Erik
I don't use them for the very reason you mention. I catch and bend back a bristle or two. After use I clean the brush with proper brush cleaner, repoint it and store in a proper brush holder with the bristles pointing up. They are in a warm room so they dry quickly. Tim is right though in that damp and old paint down by the ferrule can ruin a brush.
Jim

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
Ah! I thought they were just throw away packaging lol. Be honest I don't take great care of my brushes so I buy cheap ones and when they get a bit ropey they get used for weathering, pigments etc.then I buy more cheap ones, and so on.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That’s expensive in the long term Mark. I get several years use out of mine!

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
It's only small detail painting I use them for really so do last a while still. I've spent about 30 quid over about the last 3 years on brushes so not to bad.

Mark1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
I would like to spend some money on nice brushes but couldn't trust myself to look after them properly, if I was figure painting for instance and used them a lot more then I totally get the expense of a decent set is well worth the outlay.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Eric, each to their own, but I only use cheap brushes. The sort you get in Airfix starter kits or from certain cheapo stationary shops.

For the same reason Jim states, I never use the covers for their intended purpose. I save them for other sundry uses, such as in dioramas.

I usually store my favorite brushes in a home made holder, ferrule down to allow any moisture to gravitate out of the brushes. The rest are stuffed the wrong way up in a jam jar!