Brush painting a 1/48 Bf109E-4 (Helmut Wick)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That is one well worn cowl, Steve!

This is also an interesting photo study for other reasons:

It gives a good example of exhaust staining and also note the demarkation between the RLM65 and 71 forward of the cockpit...I thought I had left it rough!! The more I see your great pictures the more I realise how diverse the paint schemes became after a time in service!

Here's a question: What's that on the tyres? If this is a base in N. France, I would guess at chalk as a lot of the ground there is composed of the stuff. It looks too light to be mud....

Any thoughts?

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Look at the sloppy application of the RLM 04 on the spinner! I'm not sure what that would do to the balance.

It's may be chalky mud on the tyres. The red bands were over painted at the end of September 1940 so this must be October/November time. Those "black men" are fairly well wrapped up too.

Honestly I've no idea,maybe they spilt some paint ! That would make some of my efforts more authentic. I don't know a thing about the construction of those tyres but I don't think they would scuff in that way. Maybe someone more familiar with aircraft tyres will enlighten us.

Exhaust staining was not symmetrical. It was affected mainly by the propwash which is assymmetrical (as the propeller rotates in one direction). Also anti glare shields or shields to divert exhaust away from air intakes have an effect. A small detail, but rarely shown on models.

Cheers

Steve

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the comments boys....I needed a bit of a pick me up, and your words of encouragement were just the ticket. Thanks again.

O.K., here is the stippling. Being a complete unknown and never having attempted this finish before, it was with some trepidation I put brush to plastic!!

Steve (stona) sent me some great Bf109 stipple pictures and it's surprised me the different interpretations of this type of finish. Give two blokes some paint and ask them to stipple and it's a cert' their efforts will be completely different....So this is my go at it!

Another Rule: Never get hold of a model when you have just had a bacon butty and forget to wash your hands. I got away with it....just!

To achieve the finish I used a well worn 000 size brush and painted it with Vallejo Acrylic Model Colour 888. Which is spot on for RLM71. I spent ages practicing on a bit of plastic using enamel paint but I couldn't get a satisfactory stipple, more like blobs. So I tried the acrylic paint and this gave the finish I wanted. More practice until I was happy enough to start on the model...

I only slightly watered the acrylic because too much and it would blob and also lighten the colour too much.

After dipping the brush I removed excess paint and started stippling......

I started on the rudder to get my eye in and then gently 'Stabbing' went along the fuselage to the engine cowl. Try and keep the same amount of paint on your brush with each loading or you might get too much blotching or not enough on to stipple! I let it dry then applied a second coat to lessen the blue a bit more.

That's it really, except to add that in 'Real life' the stippling would have been done after the National and personal markings were applied. I just didn't fancy working around all those transfers in 1/48...

Sorry Steve, I just couldn't face it, I was twitchy enough as it was!

At the latter stages of the painting I will re-introduce a bit of Lt. Blue around markings to simulate an after stipple...if you follow! lol

When I weather and rough up model, I'm hoping the stipple will tone in a bit more.

Next, the bits and bobs and, as I'm not skilled enough to use masking tape, the small matter of freehand painting the canopy frame.

Thanks for looking in.

Ron

It really is a Dk. Green stipple, the picture is a bit blueish, sorry.

View attachment 32589

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick.jpg

T

travellingman49

Great tutorial,i picked up a few good tips there and the finished model looks excellent,thanks cliff.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for taking the time to post fellas. I appreciate it.

The finishing line is in sight now....

I have painted and fixed the canopy frame. There was an option to hinge it but I decided on this occasion to keep it shut.

To paint the frame I used my 000 fine brush and the same Vallejo Dk. Green acrylic as the cammo. I am not good enough to mask the glass with tape, so freehand is my only option. My method is to do the first coat quite thin. This way the paint is allowed to run into the frame/ glass recess moulding. It also makes it easier to do the final coat because the first coat has outlined the frame making it easier to see! It goes without saying that a magnifying glass is a must!

Don't worry if you go over onto the glass a bit, just allow the paint to dry then very carefully remove the excess with a cocktail stick or similar.

It seems pointless showing how I do the detail work such as u/c legs, spinner ect., as I reckon we are all happy with that aspect! Just one point, you will probably notice a slight difference in the yellows of the spinner and engine cowl. I did this on purpose. I reasoned that the cowl would have stains/ streaks and dirty finger marks on it, whereas the spinner would be in pristine

condition. Could be wrong, but that's my interpretation anyway.

When you are happy with the painting of the model give it a coat of 'Klear'. Use a flat headed brush, but be aware the liquid is very runny and easy to overload the brush (Try it out on a flat surface first if you're not sure) so with just a small amount on the brush cover the whole of the model, lay the stuff off just like we did with the paint. Be very careful none has gathered under the wings or fuselage.

In case you you're not sure why 'Klear' is used, it is to give a good, mirror flat surface for the decals to sit on and hopefully avoids any silvering to the surface of the transfers.

When the 'Klear is dry fix the decals, then when these are dry give the model a second coat to seal in the decals...Again, check for runs.

Clean the brush straight away in warm water.

I have included a picture of a bottle of Klear so folks know what to look for...I bought mine in Tesco for £3.50 odd.

That is almost it.

Here is a picture of the model with it's decals and a second coat of Klear. All squeeky clean and looking a bit 'Too nice' lol

For the final stage we will fix the radio cable, also weather and generally muck the 109 up. It could be left as it is paintwise, but that is not the object of this exercise. I am trying to end up with an aircraft much used and abused and as close to the pictures supplied by Steve as I can.

Thanks for following this little exercise, nearly done now....

Cheers,

Ron

View attachment 32643

View attachment 32644

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick 012.jpg

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick 013.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks tremendous. I can honestly say I don't think I've seen the stipple done as convincingly as that before. A great tutorial,maybe I'll have another go at a similar paint scheme in the future. I'll leave it long enough for everyone to have forgotten this one though!

Looking forward to the finished item now.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I have been sitting quietly in the back ground just watching and reading this Hairy Brush tutorial.

Not a lot to say that has not been said before. The overall work is as usual for you Ron top notch. but that stipple is a true testimony of a dedicated bristle man. The finished result is truly amazing and as you said somewhere along the line; cant be done with an air brush. Well done Ron.

Ian M

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Now that Ron is bob on, and the stipple is very convincing. Great tutorial too matey, five stars just for the brush work.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks fellas for your fantastic comments.

Cheers for the Big 5 John, I'm well chuffed you think it merits it, thanks.

If someone can pick just one bit of advise from this exercise then it makes it all worth while...

Thanks again,

Ron

N

noble

I have to agree Ron it's the dogs as always mate 5 stars for the excellent tutorial even i might give it a try and the 109 looks good too.

scott

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Here is the final stage of the painting.

For the weathering I first gave the whole model a very, very well thinned coat of Vallejo Dk. grey matt paint. This dulls the model down nicely and gets the 'used' look off to a good start.

Then I used a soft lead pencil and went over the model where I wanted the panel lines to show also the scuffing and staining. For the staining carefully rub on the pencil marks, then with a damp little finger, smudge the marks in the direction of the airflow.

For the chipping on the prop and where the stones ect. would catch the paintwork, I use a safety pin slightly dipped in aluminium enamel paint and applied to the edges of the prop, the rivets on the cockpit frame and anywhere else that I think the bare metal would show through (Don't overdo this bit, particularily on the prop blades and make sure you put the chips on the right edge of it too!!)

I added a bit of mud to the tyres with some Dk. brown paint, also a bit of matt black for the exhaust smoke staining and the staining around the gun ports.

The radio aerial is thin grey sewing cotton.

When the job was finished I gave the whole model a coat of Vallejo matt varnish. I watered it down a bit (If it's not dull enough just give it another coat)...

That's it, job done!

I hope someone has managed to pick up some useful tips as this exercise has progressed. It's been fun to do particularily the stipple, which I had not even heard of a few weeks ago!

Which brings me nicely to thanking Steve (stona) for his patience and good humour whilst answering my constant stream of questions regarding Major Helmut Wick and his aircraft... Thanks Steve.

Finally, thank you to those who contributed to this thread, it made great reading and kept my enthusiasm going through a bit of a bad patch half way through.

Here are a few pictures of the finished model:-

View attachment 32719

View attachment 32720

View attachment 32721

View attachment 32722

View attachment 32723

View attachment 32724

View attachment 32725

View attachment 32726

View attachment 32727

View attachment 32728

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick 021.jpg

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick 018.jpg

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick 014.jpg

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick 023.jpg

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick 017.jpg

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick 022.jpg

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick 020.jpg

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick 015.jpg

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick 019.jpg

Bf109E-4  Helmut Wick 016.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Great stuff Ron,and good to see the aircraft of such a remarkable young man. JG2 "Richthofen" was also a seminal unit of the early Luftwaffe. In January 1931 the first three Jagdstaffeln were created,subordinate to army command. It took until 1934 ( a year after the nazis were voted in) before Goering announced the formation of the Luftwaffe. As of June 1st that year 1.,2. and 3./JG132 were established forming I/JG132. Three staffeln make one Gruppe. Because of restrictions imposed in the Versailles treaty the unit was disguised as "Reklamesstaffel Mitteldeutschland Des Deutschen Luftsport Verbandes" which is,roughly,"Central German Advertising Squadron Of The German Air Sports Association". Very cunning!

Very quickly.

26/2/35 Luftwaffe becomes a seperate arm of the forces.

1/3/35 Officially now JG 132 the unit is declared combat ready

14/3/35 Named Richthofen

To cut a long story short many famous Luftwaffe units have their origins in this unit. For example in early 1936 the permanent personnel of I and II/JG132 formed a new III Gruppe. This was redesignated as II/JG134 and later became the famous JG 26 "Schlageter".

There was a period of intensive,complicated and sometimes baffling reorganisation of the Luftwaffe before JG2,retaining the name "Richthofen" emerged in January 1938.

Ron has modelled a Bf109E-4 ,Werk Nummer 5344, Which was Wick's personal aircraft as he shot up through the ranks of the Luftwaffe. A google of his name will reveal plenty of information.

He was born in 1915,joined the forces in 1936 and started pilot training in 1938. He was sent to 1./JG133 (later JG 53) where he learnt his trade under the tutelage of the great Werner Moelders. He transferred to JG 2 on 31/8/39. He was a very able pilot and quickly achieved a significant tally of victories. He was promoted Major on 19/10/40. He was the youngest Major and Kommodore in the Luftwaffe. His responsibilities equate roughly to an RAF wing commander,he was 25 years old.

The aircraft,as Ron has done it,sports the "Horrido" pennant of his unit on the cowling as well as his personal Kingfisher emblem. The chevrons indicate that he is the Kommodore. The stippling was applied by the unit in an effort to help camouflage the aircraft on the ground. It is often forgotten that the RAF's bomber command,in their virtually obsolete aircraft,did harass german airfields at this time. Why the stipple when everyone else was spraying some form of mottle or stripes? Who knows. Maybe the unit's compressor or spray gun was broken.

Wick was lost in one of the confused air battles that typified the BoB.On 28/11/40 he led elements of JG 2 on the second mission of the day,taking off at 15.30 hrs bound for the Solent. They were detected and 609 Sqn from Warmwel were launched to intercept. They were followed a little later by 152 Sqn. Wick and his wingman (Oblt.Leie) attacked 609 Sqn. Wick shot down the Spitfire of Plt.Off. Paul Balliol. He bailed out but it seems his parachute malfunctioned. His body washed ashore at Ste Martin De Varonville on 5/1/41. He was a married man,a sollicitor from Northhamptonshire. This was a serious business and we should not forget that these were real people with lives,wives and children who were being lost this way.

Wick lost contact with his wingman during the attack but shortly afterwards Oblt. Pflanz,part of another "Rotte" saw a Bf109 with a Spitfire on its tail and turned to help. He saw the Pilot of the 109 bail out,this was Wick,and opened fire on the Spitfire,killing the pilot. This was Flt.Lt.John Dundas. His last radio transmission was "I've finished a 109...Whoopee". His body was never found. Dundas is usually credited with Wick's demise but he "finished" the 109. It is probable that another pilot Plt.Off. Marrs had also engaged Wick's aircraft.

Wick parachuted into the sea off the Isle of Wight. Despite an intensive search by JG2 themselves no trace of him was ever found. He was initially listed as M.I.A. but was presumed dead on 4/12/40. He too was married and had a son. A daughter who he never saw was born after his loss.

At the time of his death he was credited with 56 aerial victories.

The whole sorry episode is typical of the air war of the time. It was a terrible waste of young and talented men on both sides. Who knows what Wick,Balliol or Dundas may have gone on to achieve had their lives not been so violently cut short.

Look at Ron's lovely model and remember,everyone else seems to forget!

Cheers

Steve

C

Caledonia

Hi Ron, that's one beat up old 109; glad you chose a 1/48 scale as this was a real tester for demonstrating painting skills. Just had a quiet hour and read through the entire posting. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us, and if there is any space left on your chest, you can add another 5 Stars from me too - superb tutorial, must have taken many hours of dedication to do it in such detail. Cheers Derek