Brush painting with enamels

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I used to spray enamel with it. It sprays superbly…..However….I then realised I was making a potential fuel air bomb so stopped….not to be recommended for spraying :flushed:
I wonder though Tim, is it really much more flammable than IPA or lacquer thinners?
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Just had a look at the material safety data sheets (MSDS) for all three Peter.

I would say Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) is the safest over all, but has the lowest flashpoint. The highest flashpoint is cellulose thinners at about 11DegC, which is still below normal room temperature and pressure (RTP). It is also the only one that is not quoted as making an explosive mixture with air.
Lighter fluid and IPA have flashpoints around 0DegC, and are both quoted as producing explosive mixtures with air. Cellulose thinners and IPA have other issues as well, being more toxic.

However, for the amounts we use none of this is really a problem if normal precautions are taken.

We should probably use spray booths with spark free motors, but I know mine doesn’t have one, and I can’t afford a better one. I have never heard of anyone having an issue using normal spray thinners in the most common booths.

I personally no longer use lighter fluid, and cellulose thinners has other components so is less flammable, so I am OK with that.

Safest is definitely acrylics though :thumb2:

Squege

SMF Supporter
First Name
Louis
Cheers Jim, appreciated

Hi Tim

Really like using Mr color but will use 100% enamels on KGV. Colour coats have a excellent range of paints. The YouTube video by colour coats are very helpful as to spraying the stuff

Colour coats have good videos on YouTube about spraying enamels but nothing on brushing!
hi chuck,
I have been using colour coats and it seems to spray well using humbrol thinners, i did try it with white spirit but i thought it had a bit of a sheen to it, the other thing i got wrong apparently was the under water anti foul colour it now appears according to the Hood site that she never had red antifoul it was either grey of an undefined shade or black. so i am at the moment trying to re do it grey. here are afew shots of the first finish using colour coats narn 20 and red anti foul.IMG_20220429_090136163.jpgIMG_20220429_090141075.jpgIMG_20220429_090244889.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've been using Colourcoats for years.

Mostly, I spray them, but have always done some brush painting, so here's my take on them.

They do brush very well.

Different colours vary considerably. Some need a bit of thinning (I use white spirits (generic)). Some can be brushed straight out of the tin, and may require more than one coat to cover properly, which obviously means considerable time.

For both spraying and brushing I thin completely unscientifically, just be the feel and look of the paint. Unfortunately that's not something that can be quantified. One of the advantages of enamels is their tolerance for approximate thinning ratios. Some other paint systems are far less tolerant.

Clean up with cellulose thinners.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
My sincere apologies for not thanking nor replying to replies, not good enough, sorry.

Now it's hopefully calming down I hope to have a go tomorrow in KGV's superstructure, brush painting!

Reactions: JR