Brush painting with Valejo Model Air.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
As I mainly brush paint with the occasional bit of "rattle can" I have started brushing with Valejo model air. As it's already thinned I find I can use it straight from the bottle ........ I only tried it because the colour I wanted is only available in "Model Air" and not Model Colour"..........I normally work on several thinned coats anyway........ and I find I'm betting some good results with this stuff............. I expect there's lots of people out there that already use it with a brush. But I thought I'd share it.

Peter

L

Laurie

Agree Peter it is very nice for a variety of things. I like painting figures with it. As it is thinish you can bring out shadows and shading. I put for example a full coat on a jacket and then wipe away with a dry brush between the folds which gives a nice shadow effect.

Found it is a good idea to use a retarder as in the pallet the stuff goes off very quickly.

Laurie

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Funny enough Ron did this the other day and after seeing his cover I have just got a pot to test out :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
over half my work is done using air brushed,on,spay the base coats first,then use it for the shading and higts and lows,

and works great as a wash as well, ;)

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
for sure Laurie,as its thin it gets into all the little nooks and cranny to pickup the low spots,

then once done,come back over and dry brush,and you can still add washes over the top again, :D

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
\ said:
Agree Moni. Making my own washes now from Vallejo Model Air. Found them much better than the already made ones.
Laurie
What are you thinning it with Laurie ? On the side of the bottle it doesnt say anything about thinning , just that its water based. Ive thinned them sometimes for the airbrush using Vallejo Airbrush Thinner , but only when the paint looks a bit thicker than normal (i did this yesterday with some Model Air Steel metallic) but ive never tried water , cheers tony

L

Laurie

Tony I use the new (been new for a little while) Vallejo Thinner.

Not used water. Surface tension with water makes it difficult to flow in detail areas. The thinners gives more brush control on detail ie where you want the paint to go.

I used to have, in an architectural life, perform big washes sky etc on architectural presentation drawings. Then we used water as you could use the water tension to control the flow of the paint wash down the paper.

Sounds a bit contradictory. But like a lot of things it is using attributes to suit the purpose.

Just read about the metal type paint. Think it would be wise to use the thinners as metallic types seem to have a mind of their own. They always dry faster with hand brushing. Not airbrushed metallics yet but have to cover the whole of a Gloster Gladiator this week. another learning experience. Will come back to write the experience.

Laurie