Brush vs airbrush?

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Your original question , i suppose the answer is a paint brush can do plenty a airbrush can't and vice a versa , you and only you will teach you to use the airbrush. Way too many myths and legends to this aspect of our hobby.
Thanks Dave. I think you're spot on. It's one of those I'll have to try, and see for myself. Certainly started a good discussion, which is nice.

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Well done Dale, the only advice I would give is ive sub thirty pound airbrushes i use as much as my expensive one(I don't belive in bandying brands about)yes it weighs more is beautifully made and is very nice to use but hey it sprays paint. I think someone else mentioned Bart Sharp a good place to start (where my cheap ones came from). So untill your confident in how YOU go about it a good place to start before treating yourself to something a bit special. You can lash out hundreds on a set of golf clubs but doesn't mean your play any better. Dave
Thanks Dave. I think you're spot on. It's one of those I'll have to try, and see for myself. Certainly started a good discussion, which is nice.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Personally Dale i think you`ve left one out in your original question!.......
To sum up what the guys have pointed out......
1,The Hairy Stick can do SO much that the Hissy Stick can`t.....
2,The Hissy Stick can give such good control between transformations,and a smooth finish on those larger areas.....
BUT (and this is where i`ll be strung up as a heretic!!:tears-of-joy: ),.......
3,What about the "Rattle can"?.... Gives superbly smooth results over large areas,(And small one`s too,with good masking;)),Biggest advantage to me is the cutting out of all the cleaning/stripping and assembly needed by the Hissy Stick:thumb2:,
Just my thoughts obviously...... I`ll get back in my Luddite box now!!
Andy

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I’ve used Tamiya grey spray primer extensively. Funny thing is, I decanted it to a bottle and used it through my airbrush. In my experience rattle cans can only be used in the garage or outdoors due to overspray.
You make a good point there Tim,
That is one disadvantage,although nothing that can`t be easily overcome....... as long as the good old British weather doesn`t intervene of course!!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Personally Dale i think you`ve left one out in your original question!.......
To sum up what the guys have pointed out......
1,The Hairy Stick can do SO much that the Hissy Stick can`t.....
2,The Hissy Stick can give such good control between transformations,and a smooth finish on those larger areas.....
BUT (and this is where i`ll be strung up as a heretic!!:tears-of-joy: ),.......
3,What about the "Rattle can"?.... Gives superbly smooth results over large areas,(And small one`s too,with good masking;)),Biggest advantage to me is the cutting out of all the cleaning/stripping and assembly needed by the Hissy Stick:thumb2:,
Just my thoughts obviously...... I`ll get back in my Luddite box now!!
Andy

But there is a much more restricted colour range with rattle cans. For some types of modelling it might not matter but if you are modelling, say WW2
aircraft, could you get the full RLM range of colours, or BS, or ANA or, well, USSR, IJN/IJA and so on?

Control is also an issue that I certainly found when I tried them.

There is a space for rattle cans, as there is for the hairy brush and airbrush, but they are not THE answer and there is no one single answer.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Both Barry and Murfie's posts sums up this very interesting discussion.

When it comes down to it, It doesn't matter if the paint is applied with an A.B., paint brush, bricklayer's trowel or yard brush, as long as the builder is happy with the result, that is all that matters.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John

When it comes down to it, It doesn't matter if the paint is applied with an A.B., paint brush, bricklayer's trowel or yard brush, as long as the builder is happy with the result, that is all that matters.
570 you'd love the flame you get when lighting the steam of enamel thinners ! works a treat.

The Smythe Meister

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy

What about us Sparkies!!:dizzy:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Joking apart it's all about achieving the finish you consider in your mind.Ok that sounds a bit odd, but it is just that.
I never considered brush painting ( sorry 570 ) when I returned to modelling back in 2015, having read numerous articles, it seemed the way to go.
What I do find though is the very misleading advertising that the manufacturers employ. Sprays straight from the bottle! Yeah well not in my case, then you start to read about all the trials and tribulations people have with tip drying, the strange concoctions that are used from bats blood to spring water purifed at boiling point while half way up a mountain .
The list goes on, as is to be seem in the many threads we read.
At the end of the day perfection is in the eye of the beholder.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Been modelling A long time…..never made anything perfect yet though! I always see room for improvement in everything I do. It’s what drives me to make the next tank/plane/car/figure or what have you. I think if I could produce perfection I’d get really bored really quickly.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Been modelling A long time…..never made anything perfect yet though! I always see room for improvement in everything I do. It’s what drives me to make the next tank/plane/car/figure or what have you. I think if I could produce perfection I’d get really bored really quickly.
It's that that drives us on isn't, the realisation that we could improve. Every time you look at a completed build you can see things that you could do better.The problem is that will never happen !

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Joking apart it's all about achieving the finish you consider in your mind.Ok that sounds a bit odd, but it is just that.
I never considered brush painting ( sorry 570 ) when I returned to modelling back in 2015, having read numerous articles, it seemed the way to go.
What I do find though is the very misleading advertising that the manufacturers employ. Sprays straight from the bottle! Yeah well not in my case, then you start to read about all the trials and tribulations people have with tip drying, the strange concoctions that are used from bats blood to spring water purifed at boiling point while half way up a mountain .
The list goes on, as is to be seem in the many threads we read.
At the end of the day perfection is in the eye of the beholder.
Absolutely correct John. But clearly you have not tried MRP because they actually do what they say they will do. I have never once thinned them even doing mottle, never had tip dry either.

Reactions: JR

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Never had tip dry issues with Tamiya/Mr Color and MLT either…they do have associated PPE issues though. Does MRP have specific PPE requirements?

Reactions: JR