brushes !!! what to buy ??

W

windymiller

i know i ask to many questions :confused: but so is there a "set" of brushes that would be a good starter kit for me and the me262 ?? i plan to try my airbrush for as much as i can but i guess i need brushes for detail work ??

ta all

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Just go to an art supplies or model store and buy a couple of different sizes: take the smallest they have (you’ll want that for fine detail work) and a couple of sizes larger. Since each manufacturer seems to use their own numbering/sizing system, it’s hard to give definite recommendations here.

zuludog

SMF Supporter
The usual recommendation for brushes are sable, such as Winsor & Newton 'Kolinsky Number 7' range, but I'm not keen on them. I find them a bit too soft, and tend to show wear fairly soon, no matter how carefully I look after them - or perhaps that's just me?

My preferred choice is Winsor & Newton 'Sceptre Gold 11'. They are sable - synthetic mixture, with very a similar performance to all sable, but slightly springier/stiffer, and more resilient

Also for detail painting I use Winsor & Newton 'University', which are all synthetic, and springier again, but still a usable paintbrush

Typical prices for a size 1 are - #7 = £9 or £10; SG11 = £4 to £4-50; Uni = £3

For detail work you will want the smaller sizes. The very fine brushes are sized 00000; 0000 etc, up to 0, usually written as 5/0, 4/0 etc, plus size 1. You don't need the full range, perhaps missing out some of the ?/0 sizes

However, there's only one way to find out what type and size you like, and that's to try a few, but I would include some Sceptre Gold 11

They are available from The Range hobby & household stores, or Surf t'Net

Also, have a look on t'Net & YouTube for 'Masters Brush Cleaning Soap' - it's excellent

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Master brush cleaner is almost essential once you decide what brushes you use most and start building up your collection. Until then, a bar of Dove soap makes a good alternative.....
As to brushes, almost too many to count out there.....I currently use Rosemary and co products....most of he watercolour ranges are usable....I personally find synthetic brushes develop a hook end quite quickly so becoming less usable over time.....
Size wise, a good pointed number one is probably as fine as you need to go, it’s the point that matters, not how many hairs it has....
Cheers
Tim

W

windymiller

The usual recommendation for brushes are sable, such as Winsor & Newton 'Kolinsky Number 7' range, but I'm not keen on them. I find them a bit too soft, and tend to show wear fairly soon, no matter how carefully I look after them - or perhaps that's just me?

My preferred choice is Winsor & Newton 'Sceptre Gold 11'. They are sable - synthetic mixture, with very a similar performance to all sable, but slightly springier/stiffer, and more resilient

Also for detail painting I use Winsor & Newton 'University', which are all synthetic, and springier again, but still a usable paintbrush

Typical prices for a size 1 are - #7 = £9 or £10; SG11 = £4 to £4-50; Uni = £3

For detail work you will want the smaller sizes. The very fine brushes are sized 00000; 0000 etc, up to 0, usually written as 5/0, 4/0 etc, plus size 1. You don't need the full range, perhaps missing out some of the ?/0 sizes

However, there's only one way to find out what type and size you like, and that's to try a few, but I would include some Sceptre Gold 11

They are available from The Range hobby & household stores, or Surf t'Net

Also, have a look on t'Net & YouTube for 'Masters Brush Cleaning Soap' - it's excellent
bit cash sensitive at mo so the abc brushes set has got my vote for now many thanks to all !!! and cleaning soap ?? cant seem to find that at mo

W

windymiller

ta chap just ordered it for £4.87 on amazon but a couple of weeks wait

W

windymiller

lol its like xmas if one keeps buying from varying suppliers, given time i forget what ive ordered then i get a nice surprise from time to time in the post box lol