Build a building G.B.2014!!...Being finished 2020. Our Dream home. (spanner and wife)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice one Paul, thank you.
You'll have to supply your own mealie bags, though!

No doubt there are some on here who will treat this sort of light hearted thread with distain, that's their choice. But if the gentle banter makes the rest of us smile in these awkward times then that's all that matters, and that pleases me.... :thumb2:

Light hearted or not, I'm still trying to do my best with the actual build.

Cheers.
Ron

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
You'll have to supply your own mealie bag, though!

No doubt there are some on here who will treat this sort of light hearted thread with distain, that's their choice. But if the gentle banter makes the rest of us smile in these awkward times then that's all that matters, and that pleases me.... :thumb2:

Cheers.
Ron
There are some people who's sole function in life is to find something to moan about mate. Luckily we don't appear to be among them.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You'll have to supply your own mealie bag, though!

Cheers.
Ron

You mean this is all banter and there's no team of builders just waiting for my call? Oh poop! There goes my dream!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your posts Paul and Dave.

Don't you worry none, Dave. I've given Idu your address.
He'll give you a call once he's finished my job. Speaking of which.....

The wife wanted an access to the beach. My goodness how I fought this one! I tried to explain to her that I didn't want the 'Working Class' sticking it's nose in by wandering up our steps in their silly 'Kiss me Quick' hats and swigging cheap lager, asking where the nearest pub was or where could they find a burger bar!

As you might have read earlier in this thread. I had some razor wire strung out down to the low water mark both ends of our private beach. Well, Idu, Meekan and Takdee doubled the thickness of the stuff. They asked for leather gloves to protect their hands. All I could find was one pair of the wife's cheap gardening gloves.

The lads took turns to wear them. What a mess they were in, (The gloves, not my boys) but they managed. I advised them that a trip to the hospital too far and not really necessary.

"A good rinse in salt water would soon heal the deep lacerations, but don't let the wife see all that blood!"

After they had totally cordoned off the beach and their hands had almost healed, I showed them where my wife wanted the steps.

She came out to direct operations
"Idu, it would be so tiresome to have to enter the house to use the steps. Build them from the side of the swimming pool. What have you done to your hands? Not to worry, the sun will soon dry the blood!

"Yazam, maam! c'mon byees, let's get on weed eet" said Idu.

Here's the result of the chap's efforts. My, they are doing a fine job considering the temperature is in the high 40's! I'd give them a drink, but the stand pipe isn't working.

Plastic card for the paving, more sweepings and a bit of silicone 'water' where the stream meets the sea.

P1260521.JPG

P1260568.JPG

P1260540.JPG

I'll have to buy the wife one of those awful drone contraptions. I don't like her using the Micro Lite, she might crash and do some serious damage...I'm talking about the Micro Lite, not her!

Love to all back in Blighty!

Lord Lucan

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Glad you approve Rick... :thumb2:

Don't you go worrying about the cat. Sea water is doing it's boils the world of good. The trouble is, the moggy seems to have an awful struggle trying to get back to shore through the surf!

Cats can swim, can't they?!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI RON keep this comin ive nr split my sides from laughin so you are doin a good job an now don't you or your wife over strain yourselves by to much good livin lol
chris

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Rick and Chris.
Thanks for your contributions.

Boys, the wife has decided it's too tiresome to have to get out of the pool, then have to walk right around the thing to get to the other side of our beach, so as the boys had a bit of spare concrete on the go, they've roughed in a second set of steps leading from the swimming pool. Tiled later.

P1260591.JPG

Cheers.
Ron

D

Deleted member 7181

I'm following along, fascinated, as I always am with your builds.

Oh to spend a day peering over your shoulder, learning how you make it look so effortless!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Andy.
.....look so effortless?
My swear box and bin, if they could talk, would tell you to the contrary!

Good people, I forgot to mention, we had a surprise visit yesterday evening. The sun was starting to set when a big Spanish Navy R.I.B. hauled up onto our beach.
We had an impromptu B.B.Q. with the crew, the captain of which offered to take the wife out for a spin in the craft. She accepted. 30 mins. later they re-appeared.

She said "Darling, that was just wonderful. Carlos took me to a lovely secluded cove."

I asked why?

She replied "He said now we are in his country, he wanted to cement International relations."

That's the spirit. what a wonderful and thoughtful gesture. What a woman. I'm so lucky!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Oh Ron. You are indeed a lucky fella. Your missus sounds like one in a million. All that building work going on and the world in crisis with Covid-19 and she goes out of her way to help Anglo Spanish relations.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Carlos gave my missus his cap. - She won't take the thing off. She said it protects her head from the sun. Good thinking, what?

She also said she wants uninterrupted views from all floors at the rear of the property. Posh people call it 'Infinity' All to be painted "A nice shade of blue."

So Idu, Takdee and Meekan set to work. Considering their continued request for water (The stand pipe is still broken) they have done remarkably well. It's a good job the wife and I are able to get plenty to drink for ourselves at the orange plantation.

As I wrote earlier, Mrs. S wants the lounge etc. on the top, and the bedrooms at the bottom to maximize the views, so this level will be the bedrooms. Unfortunately, she sleep walks, so a small wall had to be built around the balcony. It's just high enough for her to smash her shins on to wake her up, but small enough to put our feet up on whilst having our early morning Bucks Fizz.

Plastic card suitably scribed, then brush painted with a wash of blue acrylics.
P1260596.JPG

By the way, as I was idly watching my boys drinking from the stream, I heard a roar from seaward. It was our good friend Carlos. I had no idea he owned such a huge 'Gin Palace'

The wife shouted down to me...
"Sorry, I forgot to tell you, Carlos has a few days off, so we are going for a spin in his boat. Won't be long!"

"How are you going to get out to it?"

"I'll swim! I can take my bikini off to dry when I get on board....."

Do you know, I now realise why I married that wonderful woman. She's so practical, is always thinking ahead, making new friends, and doing her best not to disturb my peace and quiet.

How I love her. I'll surprise her with a nice cold drink when she returns. She will probably need one after breathing in all that fresh sea air and getting bounced about!

When she gets back. we will discuss the lounge balcony.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Cheers Jim, I'm chuffed this bit of literary b*****ks helps lighten the day a bit.

My wife has returned.
Not much of an extra tan on her. She explained that Carlo insisted she stay below deck, out of the sun...Very thoughtful of him.

Anyway, here is the top living area balcony.
We want a completely open, infinity view of the sea, so the boys painted the concrete blue. We didn't want tiles as they might have reflected the strong sunshine.
We have had stainless steel stanchions fixed to the concrete with L.E.D. lighting on the top.
Strung between these will be stainless steel wire, thus giving us excellent, virtually unrestricted views of the ocean.

P1260592.JPG

After the stanchions were in place, Meekan, Takdee and I were admiring the sea view. Idu was examining the box containing the steel wire.

He was impressed by the idea, stating that not only would it give us a great view, but would also stop visitors tossing themselves off to the balcony below.

I noticed his work colleagues were doubled up with laughter in the corner.

I don't see why they found his statement funny, I thought Idu's concern for people's safety was admirable.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Cheers Jim, I'm chuffed this bit of literary b*****ks helps lighten the day a bit.

My wife has returned.
Not much of an extra tan on her. She explained that Carlo insisted she stay below deck, out of the sun...Very thoughtful of him.

Anyway, here is the top living area balcony.
We want a completely open, infinity view of the sea, so the boys painted the concrete blue. We didn't want tiles as they might have reflected the strong sunshine.
We have had stainless steel stanchions fixed to the concrete with L.E.D. lighting on the top.
Strung between these will be stainless steel wire, thus giving us excellent, virtually unrestricted views of the ocean.

View attachment 387276

After the stanchions were in place, Meekan, Takdee and I were admiring the sea view. Idu was examining the box containing the steel wire.

He looked up at us. "Hey Mr. Ron, dis wyaar will keep dem spook meeaats ob yoors from tossin' dem selffs off onto de baalkonee beelo, dat's fur shoor!"

I noticed his work colleagues were doubled up with laughter in the corner.

I don't see why they found his statement funny, I thought Idu's concern for people's safety was admirable.
Ron,
An excellent story still chuckling now.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Paul
I forgot to mention the stanchions are cut down pins nicked from the wife's sewing collection!

As we have acres of land here at the villa, my wife and I are going to get some livestock - Chickens, goats and pigs. We will start with pigs. I have ordered a boar and sow from a local breeder.
They should be with us in a few days. I do love pork, so looking forward to our home grown meat. I have been warned by the breeder that pigs have a ferocious appetite, and will eat virtually anything.