Build a building G.B.2014!!...Being finished 2020. Our Dream home. (spanner and wife)

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
My wife want's in on this, there's nothing in the rules to say otherwise, so why not?

We are more than happy where we live, but now and then we talk about a dream home, in an equally dream location...So this is the theme for my 'Build a building 2014 G.B.'

Neither of us has put pen to paper yet, but we will write down what would be our priorities if we had a free, money no object choice. Then come up with a compromise......The result of which I will try and build.

Our imagination will be able to run riot, so it could be anything, anywhere and will certainly be fun constructing our 'dream home' We will probably make a start soon with ideas.

There will be no interior, just a building at a location.

Obviously there are no sprues, but here is a picture of my initial building material...Yep, Pizza bases!

View attachment 89480

Cheers,

Ron (and wife)

our dream home.jpg

P

Polux

Ron, mate!! You are a crack! And your wife too :D

Excellent and absolutely original idea :smiling3:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Great idea I like it and when you do win the lottery you will be well prepared see you on grand designs or location location look forward to what you and your good wife come up with no arguing if she wants a swimming pool let her have it you can have your modelling studio looking forward to see what you do with those pizza bases as I've now started to collect them but yet to build anything" but did use one for a cobblestone road as on one side it had the correct pattern good luck with you joint venture.cheers John

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very nice Ron and very good of you to do some think with the wife, ;)

oh dash this im moving back home for free foam, we get soggie cardboard :confused:

C

Caledonia

\ said:
Obviously there are no sprues, but here is a picture of my initial building material...Yep, Pizza bases!

View attachment 90201

Cheers,

Ron (and wife)
Well Ron, I see you are splashing out in after market materials again. Look forward to this one. Cheers Derek

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks everyone for the encouraging start to this....This update has been a while coming along, sorry.

Me and the present Mrs. Ron have come to a compromise about what we would like in our dream house......We were surprisingly very similar...Sea view one way and mountains the other. We both wanted a stream with a natural pool to swim in, and the house had to have plenty of balconies, decking and big windows....and of course a swimming pool....The weather will be perfect every day, but a bit of rain now and then to freshen things up.

So here is the start of the construction.

First I line drew this from our initial sketched ideas...

View attachment 93245

Templates down on paper...The scale is 1ft/ 1/4"

View attachment 93246

A bit of alteration as ideas came along, then transferred to the pizza base. All a bit confusing at the minute, but you'll see what's what when it starts to get stuck together.

View attachment 93247

This is good fun....

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to get my pilot to wind up my private Lear Jet, because my wife and I need to find a nice piece of real estate, somewhere warm and sunny, looking out on a beach with mountains at the back and a stream running close by.....No problem, money no object!

Your obedient servant,

Sq. Ldr. R. Suppards (DFC and Bar) Ret.

our dream home 003.jpg

our dream home 002.jpg

our dream home 001.jpg

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do like the looks of that Ron,would be nice on the

coast some were in Spana,with the mountain stream running down and pooling before running out to the sea ;)

First Name
Richard
Nice start there Ron, and the missis of course

will be watching this carefully

Cheers

Richi

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I was going to suggest you need a bit of water somewhere, then I saw 'sea view, a stream and a pool'. Water - I though it might get a mention.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
After touring the world in our private Lear Jet, me and the bride couldn't find the exact and perfect location, so we've had to compromise....

We did find one spot that came close, but required a great deal of earth moving. We overcame this problem by chartering two of the largest air transport aircraft available...The massive Russian Antanov's. We sent them to Africa and just managed to squeeze in the 4000 Zulus I have waiting at Rorke's Drift doing now't! It was a bit of a squeeze but with clever packing they were safely brought to our secret location.......

I write secret, because neither of us want the working class sticking it's nose in later, asking our staff for bacon butties and a mug of tea!

I managed to get 1000 wheel barrows and 2000 shovels from ebay, so the lads soon got stuck in.......Their singing really was great, even during the long hours of night time.

Here is the result so far. The subsurface is almost chalk like, and quite soft and light, so the boys had little trouble wheeling more in from around a 20mile radius.....

View attachment 94122

Next they brushed on thousands of gallons of PVA..Even on the beach, just in case we want to change the colour of the sand. It was great fun watching as they tried to peel the yard brushes from their hands when they'd finished......

View attachment 94123

Next, as the wife wants nice plants and greenery, we dispatched the Antanovs off to England to bring in the best top soil. This was spread over the chalk by our ever helpful Zulus. With this stage complete we duly send them off (fully paid + an early completion bonus) for a well earned holiday in Nova Scotia.....

The actual builders arrived and quickly started the concreting....This shot shows the start of the swimming pool and retaining wall.

View attachment 94124

Here is the first floor done ready for the next level. Note the pool overhang. We decided it would be quite tiresome to have to get out of the pool should the weather become a tad too hot, so half the pool is under cover, enabling us to just swim from outside to the sheltered portion without breaking our stroke....Rather clever, what?

View attachment 94125

Just had a postcard from the Zulu lads in Nova Scotia...."Thanks for the holiday, we are really enjoying it.....Wish you were here."

How thoughtful, we are both really touched that they miss us....

Tally ho!

Ron

our dream home 008.jpg

our dream home 009.jpg

our dream home 006.jpg

our dream home 004.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The builders have worked really hard these last weeks. I am very pleased with the progress..... View attachment 94232

View attachment 94233

The finished shell. My wife was brought up in an 'upside down house', meaning the living area was upstairs and the bedrooms on the ground floor, so she wanted the same for our new home.

You can see now the lounge, study etc. on the top level leading out onto two balconies. There will be a bridge on the left side which will be the entrance to the property from the parking area. Below is the master bedroom, leading onto a balcony overlooking the pool. Two other bedrooms and the kitchen are on this level.

All in all a modest pad, don't you think?

View attachment 94234

View attachment 94235

Our dream home has numerous vineyards close by, so as the local builders had worked so hard and done an excellent job in less time than expected, we decided to give them a treat.....

We bought each and everyone of them a bumper box of wine gums!!! The look on their faces was something to behold, I can tell you, and I'm sure it's made all the difference to our future relationship with the locals.....We eagerly look forward to many an invitation to visit them in their own homes.

Pip pip,

Ron

our dream home 007.jpg

our dream home 005.jpg

our dream home 011.jpg

our dream home 012.jpg

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
The lads have returned from their luxury holiday in Nova Scotia then. You can tell 'em from me they're doing a cracking job of this summer cottage. Surely they must already know what you think from the way you're spoiling them rotten - I mean to say, a whole bumper box? Each!

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
There has been a very long delay with the building of this, our dream home - late 2014 to be precise!

Now that my Zulu working party have finished messing about at Rorke's Drift. I've been able to employ them again on the house....

Also, cash has been scarce. Although we won the lottery in 2014, my wife insisted on giving most of the money away to our family "To give them a good start in life." ........Bo***cks!

A goodly portion of what was left she gave to 40 illegal immigrants, she found in her potting shed a few months ago....

But all is not lost. Recently we won the lottery again - how lucky was that?! So we have started once more on our place in the sun.

The lads have been working hard and have got the roof on and tiled a bit of the floor area and generally sorted out the grounds.

My wife and I flew out in our private jet and took a few pictures to show the neighbours. They are very interested and have become really friendly since our big win.... People are really kind and sincere.

Anyway, here are the pictures.....

This one is taken from our private beach. I noticed in our prolonged absence, some of the razor wire running down to the low tide mark needs replacing.....

MM Vietnam build 006.jpg

A side view. The living area is on top and the bedrooms below. I designed it thus to have as much natural light on my full sized snooker table as I can.

MM Vietnam build 002.jpg

This shot is taken from where the stream for our natural pool will be. It's dry at the moment, but I intend to dam off a couple of orange plantations and divert their water for my pool. The miserable sods are kicking up a fuss, don't they realise my wife and I are British, and we can do what we want in a Foreign place?!

MM Vietnam build 003.jpg

Here's a shot of the front of the property and the start of the infinity pool. Note how the pool will go under the master bedroom balcony. We designed it so if the weather gets too hot we can swim into the shade. It would be most tiresome to have to walk from the pool edge into the shade....Good thinking, what?

MM Vietnam build 004.jpg

Here's the roof and tiling the lads from Rorke's Drift did. I asked about the rather loud floor tiles. They said it was something to do with hiding the blood from the sheep they stole from the locals to kill when they wanted to eat....Damn fine thinking I thought.

MM Vietnam build 005.jpg

Anyway, that's the build up to date....and here come the orange growers en-mass. Right lads, assegai's at the ready....Charge!

Pip Pip,

Sq. Ldr. R. Suppards. (Ret.)

F

Fenlander

Wow, this is amazing Ron, never saw the original posts. Your idea for location had me thinking Wales for some reason:D have you ever considered making dolls houses? 1/12 scale is the standard, years ago I used to make dolls house furniture and loved doing it. I have to repeat an unanswered question from above though. Do you guys live on pizza or do you ram raid your local pizza place? ;)

monica

SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
amazing Ron,dose look the treat,and real like the color of the roof tiles,must been in Spain some where, :D

coming along very nicely, ;)