Building 1/48 Airfix soldiers - Help please

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
This is my first go at figure building.

I've got the Airfix 1/48 soldiers, these ones - http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/dioramas-and-figures/figures/148-scale-figures/a03701-british-army-troops-148-a03701/ - and I'm having so much trouble with these figures and don't know what to do.

When I bought them I sorta hoped that they would go together easily and the problem would be painting.

But ..... these figures come with seperate arms and legs and That's the trouble. The legs are no real problem, a waist to trunk butt joint, but the arms don't seem to fit on the shoulders correctly so the arms are in the right position to hold their weapons.

Can anyone advise me about how to put them together correctly, I mostly build aircraft and am learning to build AFV's but these figures....................Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please help.

Tony.

C

CDW

when I did my blackhawk down dio I got the new moulding 1:48 airfix figures.

they didn't inspire me to have renewed confidence in airfix at all.

I had the same problems as you and the arms (and legs in my case) had to be shaped carefully with a scalpel to get them anywhere near fitting.

for the most part I put the limbs on with a healthy amount of glue and then cut the excess off when it was dry.. they looked "fair" when painted.

M

MrSprue

Hi

I did a few sets of 1/35 figures, mostly by Dragon, mostly German WW2. Without exception, I had to butcher arms and legs to get them into realistic positions.

Fortunately, when the joins are refilled and painted no surgery was visible. Much of their equipment seemed to be magically attached to their bodies so I also fabricated leather straps out of thin paper strips.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Thanks guys, so the advice is chop it til it fits. Thank goodness, I thought it was just my poor workmanship.

Cheers.

Tony.

C

CDW

\ said:
, I thought it was just my poor workmanship..
No mate, out of the box of 8 that i bought i could only really manage to make 4 up .... it's pretty crap really .... another negative mark for "airfix" from me.

P

phalinmegob

masterbox figures are very good, not that it helps you but thought i would mention it