BUILDING FOR THE SU 76.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Are we comfortable ? then I shall begin.

This time I have gone for a much smaller footprint, its great doing large dios and buildings but the display size needed is now lacking. So this base is

295 x 235 mm. Enough for one SU, plenty of debris and the remains of a building.

Having cut the base out some time ago the size was really set, but not far off from MiniArt plastic base size so all looked good.

Time was spent laying out building in conjunction with the the board. I've put it at an angle this time to give some more depth. Also I wanted the building with more damage at left hand near end, thus being narrower than the right, as the SU will be embedded in the front room.

Using 5mm foam-board through out this time, so started with the 2 ends and one internal wall.

_MG_4104.jpgD2.jpg
You cab just see the base lines on the board lower center of the photo.
These 3 sheets were then doubled up, they have been cut slightly differently at the rear where the damage is, to show the internal and external walls.
Two more sheets have also been cut for the building front. The joist heights and ceilings dimensions were taken for my board below. Far easier to have this then keep checking up in a book or notes. I have the height in scale up one side, the standard ceiling heights are noted for differing types of buildings, Party Offices, members houses, and then of course the general worker. The higher the ceiling the more affluent you were seen to be. ! Grand designs had nothing on Stalin.

_MG_4102.jpg D1.jpg
Cut to size external and internal walls below.
_MG_4106.JPG

Once that was done the peeling took place. Now I could have left the faces to be glued with just the paper covering on, but the paper can pull off the foam cell when glued so I would be left with two sheets of paper perfectly glued and bare foam. Not what we want.

Out with the hair dryer, you certainly don't need the hot air gun for this, far too hot, ok for starting a fire or melt , but I 'm having none of that this time.:disappointed:. ......................Moving swiftly on all the paper was removed from the ends and center walls.

The front walls were taped together and marked out. Just lightly with a pencil, taking note of where the ceilings would be on the inside.

_MG_4107.jpgD4.jpg

Nice working in mm scale, I find it much easier than Old School, how on earth I managed at school I have no idea, and nor did the teachers either for that matter.:thinking:

Taking the Swan Morton with a No 11 I cut the opening lines through the double boards. The edges will need cleaning up later and filling as I start the general filler over the foam cell. Most of the front to the right of that door way will be in the street, but I need to mark it out to get the debri correct.

_MG_4109.jpgD7.jpg
Just held with some Tamiya tape for the moment. Iv'e glued the base board onto the ply with some PVA as I left the paper side on this section. The outer face will be removed later and will be marked out for the pavement and the internals floor of the building.
Doing some tests to night on some scrap foam board, trying out differing glues, unlike the blue styrofoam the Kapa is made from a polyurethane mix as opposed to a polystyrene foam . So different glues have to be used. Tonight I 'm trying some UHU standard, basic PVA and some Geotex that I used at work. When last checked all seemed to be doing ok, at least they haven't eaten through the foam ! :flushed: yet !
More on that later then .......................

Well that's it for to night
Hope some one finds it interesting, maybe another Nerd is reading !
Thanks for looking in, hopefully more during the week. Plenty of 1/1 stuff to do unfortunately.

Dzhon.
Stalingrad Building Supplies.

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nice John us old model railroaders use foam board like that to make buildings when we run out of money

Reactions: JR

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Amen, Lee. Used for ground, pavement, almost anything, but Dzohn does it much better than I. PaulE.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
John, will this one have more of that really cool lighting like the last one?
Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Grp. Capt. Race (Ret.)

Looking good old lad! If this morning your building has decided to resemble a lump of lava, try UHU POR. I use it all the time for my foam board/polystyrene work. No fears of melting the stuff.

D.D. Ekerslyke USAAF (Ret.)

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Watching with interest. Looks like your planning is very thorough.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Still looks pretty big to me! Interesting to see the plans as well - I couldn't plan my way out of a paper bag. Looking forward to this John.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
And he’s off! Looks like all the recovery time has given you opportunity to plan this dio nicely.
Watching with interest sir :nerd:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
... TOVARISCH.... I'm here first row... ready and waiting...
Comrade Gregisky.......... nice to see you, enjoy, free Vodka from Steveskey Jones. :smiling2:

Nice John us old model railroaders use foam board like that to make buildings when we run out of money

Hi Lee ........ at the rate I've been spending today alone on modelling stuff I shall be using cardboard boxes from next year.:sad:

Amen, Lee. Used for ground, pavement, almost anything, but Dzohn does it much better than I. PaulE.

Very kind of you to say Paul........... have to make up for my builds some way:smiling2:

John, will this one have more of that really cool lighting like the last one?
Rick H.

Rick..... I had thought of some lighting, but as I don't think anyone would have any chance if they showed a light as such. Maybe a flickering fire effect ( I should point out at this moment NOT real fire ) we shall have to see.

I'm definitely here for your master class JR

Thanks Mick......... I'm hoping it works:flushed:

Grp. Capt. Race (Ret.)

Looking good old lad! If this morning your building has decided to resemble a lump of lava, try UHU POR. I use it all the time for my foam board/polystyrene work. No fears of melting the stuff.

D.D. Ekerslyke USAAF (Ret.)

Sir,..... thank you for your recent application as Technical Director Glue. Taking your advice I have duly sort out the afore mentioned item, and can announce the purchase has been made.

There had been a very slight melt using the other UHU, the geotex was ok but nothing to write home about. However the PVA has seemed to be ok. I did notice a few gaps on the outer edges , but they will fill.

Hi John
Watching with interest. Looks like your planning is very thorough.
Jim

Thanks Jim.........Suppose It reminds me of work, drawing up lists and doing quick drawings, suppose it was a way of life.

Still looks pretty big to me! Interesting to see the plans as well - I couldn't plan my way out of a paper bag. Looking forward to this John.

Peter.....Cheers, thought it might make it a little more interesting. I was in Wilkos this morning, saw some picture frames and thought of you ! Took some photos as the sizes looked good and not bad in price.

Watching this closely John - doing my first ever foam build.

I better get it right then Steven..... :smiling:

And he’s off! Looks like all the recovery time has given you opportunity to plan this dio nicely.
Watching with interest sir :nerd:

Well I took your advice young Sir........, while languishing in my bed to look up loads of stuff, all very exciting things I did find.

John,
Count me in matey, your off to a great start already.

Hi Paul......... thanks, did come together quickly, might be a bit of a lasp now as have to wait for even more supplies to arrive, and then start a load of cutting.

Only thing done to day was to glue the ends and center wall together , just used the pva. Spend most of the afternoon searching for Balsa Wood Strip. Every single size other than the one I wanted, so a cutter was ordered, followed by some 6mm thick and 100mm wide sheet. Going to cut my own. The cutter looks good , a Swan Morton sort of blade , adjustable with a very fine pitch. Has anyone got one or used one ?

On the Stum build I started to use some plastic strip by Maquett Styrene Plastic Sections . Made in the EU in the Netherlands.
A lot cheaper than Greenline, and had some different shapes such as an open half section of round........ guttering came to mind.

Loads to do with out the extras coming in, going to try to remove if time permits the face paper on the front. Once that is done and the brick work cut in I can then apply the plaster. All go at Racesky Towers.
Thanks for looking in all.

Dzhon

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
... TOVARISCH Dzhon....and spasiba Tovarisch Stevensky.... hahahahahahhahahahhahaha I'm laughing here at loud.. Thanks what a great forum

D

Daniel Horvath

Mister John up and running again! Finally im back so will join for the ride! Great beginning, this will be another stunning project of yours! Best regards Danny

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Mister John up and running again! Finally im back so will join for the ride! Great beginning, this will be another stunning project of yours! Best regards Danny

Danny could you please wipe the drool off of PaulE mouth he fell asleep while Mr Race was on sick leave

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Glad to see your back Mr Race

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Mind blowing stuff mate. Dio's are not my thing so I shall just watch on in awe as another one of your architectural masterpieces comes together. Permission to carry on:smiling5: