BUILDING FOR THE SU 76.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for that 453. Sort of like ancient lathe and plaster. It appears my education is continuing even now.
Can't wait to tell the Missus. btw smashing work on this effort, is there still some sort of light or fire in the
future of this build? Cheers Rick H.:thumb2:

prichrd1

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks for that 453. Sort of like ancient lathe and plaster. It appears my education is continuing even now.
Can't wait to tell the Missus. btw smashing work on this effort, is there still some sort of light or fire in the

Ohh Noooooo!!! somebody hat to mention that word :cold-sweat::cold-sweat::worried::worried:

Ring matron quickly - 453 needs his cell searched again :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Paul.
:smiling2::smiling2:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wonderful work John, the timbers look excellent. Particularly like how the floor boards look, but where are the skirting boards, I’m surprised you didn’t add them :smiling5:
But seriously, I just couldn’t stop looking at the pictures over and over.
seriously impressed...too stuff:thumb2:
Greetings Si...... Tomorrow I will
Glad to help Rick, should have made it clearer........now will there be or not be fire. !!!!!!! .?????
Ohh Noooooo!!! somebody hat to mention that word :cold-sweat::cold-sweat::worried::worried:

Ring matron quickly - 453 needs his cell searched again :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

Paul.
:smiling2::smiling2:
Too late Paul !!!!

John, you make fantastic wrecked buildings!
(Would you like some photos of what my place looked like for inspiration? Not that you need it!)
Andy
Andy thank you , coming from you that means a lot.
I'd love some photos please, the water damage would be very helpful.
John .

Up date tomorrow , ! Guest here this last week so main PC with the photos on restricted use .

Last edited:

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Glad I found this thread... and once again the master builder does not disappoint... brilliant building construction going forward here..... may have just found a place to add that Miniart kit for masonry and carpenter tools...,, cant wait to see more of the eye candy on this build

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Glad I found this thread... and once again the master builder does not disappoint... brilliant building construction going forward here..... may have just found a place to add that Miniart kit for masonry and carpenter tools...,, cant wait to see more of the eye candy on this build
Thanks Joe....
Yes that MiniArt kit does look right up my street

MiniArt's Construction kit

scalemates.com
Construction Set Kit, MiniArt 35594 (2019)

Can't upload a photo for some reason ! At least the thumb nail is there !
John

Attachments

• 35594_art-300x188.jpg
    35594_art-300x188.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
This is a artistic man at work give this guy some room unbelievable abstract work with foam board and coffee stirs. Awesome work John

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Finally catching up with your build John. as expected great stuff. :thumb2::smiling:
Thanks Brad. :thumb2::smiling4:

This is a artistic man at work give this guy some room unbelievable abstract work with foam board and coffee stirs. Awesome work John

Your too kind Lee............ It's all done with mirrors ! :smiling::smiling:
John .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Some great and inspiring work going on here John.

Top modelling for sure.

Nikita (Boot Chucker) Khrushchev

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Some great and inspiring work going on here John.

Top modelling for sure.

Nikita (Boot Chucker) Khrushchev
Thanks Ron................. Its so enjoyable, but the best is yet to come ........!

Right good evening all .
Having had one of Christine's friends here for a week bench time was some what restricted, but I did manage the odd hr in the afteroons and evenings.

I concentrated on the ceilings , loose bricks and wall sections, skirting board esp for Si, :tongue-out: and the outer roof timbers. attached. Most of the roofing was traditional wooden trusses covered with metallic sheets. Copper sheet and lead were a common materials.
Firstly the top floor ceiling was done. I finally did a cut into the joist side to make the look of laths appear when a brown Vallejo acrylic wash was applied. ( I knew It would come in one day :smiling2: ) I pretty much saturated the card with water and a little wash , this caused the card to be come softer and easily bend
_MG_4203.jpgGF1.jpg_MG_4204.jpg GF2.jpg

Later I painted the edged in an Old wood colour from Amig The timbers had been given a cheap acrylic paint wash of black, heavily watered down.

Whist this was drying I set to on the brick, several coats of acrylic paints were used, two cheap ones and then a couple of Amig for the darker brown and the very light bricks .

_MG_4205.jpgGF3.jpg_MG_4206.jpg GF4.jpg
The brick sections on the right have had pigment dragged over them and finally wiped over with a damp make up sponge. The ones to the left are waiting for the pigment I may paint some of the white foam with a mortar grey acrylic.

_MG_4207.jpg GF5.jpg
_MG_4217.jpg GF6.jpg

Pigment applied waiting for the grey mortar paint.

Last night I cut some white card for the ground floor ceilings, this time as the joists were already in place I scribed cut lines across the width to give the impression of lath. I also did some break lines then whetted the card. Leaving it for about an hour to soak in I twisted the card in to bent shape. Once this was completed I cut with a scalpel the damage lines through the card. Now left with several sections I cut now with a sharp pair of scissors the lath sections that would have appeared as the plaster flew off. Some of the sections were then glued to the exposed lower ceiling joists, the other matching section will lay on the ground.

_MG_4208.jpg GF6.jpg
Another shot from under to show the damaged ceiling.

_MG_4209.jpg GF7.jpg
Some of the bricks have been finished, these next photos show some sections in a temporary position.

_MG_4214.jpgGF9.jpg
_MG_4215.jpg GF10.jpg
The exposed foam still need to have some color added. Note the door linings have been glued in . _MG_4211.JPG Roof has been boarded with some balsa sections, I can see the odd one needs some adjustment and a final trim top and bottom will be done. At this point I shall start to apply the kitchen silver foil for the copper sheet.
The rear which will have more damage will take a lot longer.
Guttering to be fitted, down pipes, pewter gutter brackets.

Then the remains of the windows, a final light coat to the stone front. eaves to be capped and the capping on the roof decided.
Thoroughly enjoying this part of the dio. :smiling3::smiling3:

Comments welcome, thanks for staying with it.
John.

Attachments

• _MG_4210.jpg GF8.jpg
    _MG_4210.jpg GF8.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 2

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
:smiling::smiling: Hello any one there !

Well I've been busy today doing the roof cover. Did the copper sheet in kitchen foil did have enough pewter, which would have been better. Spray glued the foil to the roof , having done the barge boards first . This out of the way a section of round dowel was glued to the apex of the roof. This gave the shape . On this I put some pewter cut into 27 mm lengths and then folded at one end to give a 3 mm lip .

_MG_4219.jpgR2.jpg The shape was obtained from the dowel, marking the center of the pewter then forming it around, once done it was glued with CA to the apex.

_MG_4220.jpgR3.jpg
IMG_4242.JPG
Above it the rear section, the strips coming down from the ridge as to represent folds in the runs of copper, joining one sheet to the next.
_MG_4221.jpgR4.jpg
Strip cut .

_MG_4223.jpgR5.jpg
Folded .

_MG_4224.jpgR6.jpg
Flattened with saw handle .

_MG_4222.jpgR5.jpg
Finished section ready to glue ._MG_4230.jpgR7.jpg
The final result, tomorrow I hope to get the front done, then apply a coat of Mr Hobby Metal Primer. I will need to open some of the damaged rear to put some primer on some of the under side as this will be seen .

John .

Attachments

• _MG_4218.jpg R1.jpg
    _MG_4218.jpg R1.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 4
  • _MG_4238.jpgR8.jpg
    _MG_4238.jpgR8.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Dude 2,

I don't know what to say about this…...It's too much to drink in all at once. Utterly Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prost
Dude 1

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thank you Dude 1 and Rick :smiling::thumb2:
John

BigGreg

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gregory
DZHON.... the building is FANTASTIC... the realism of the interiors is absolutely stunning..... i can't wait to see it done... plus the bricks, the wood, the roof.... WOW....