BUILDING FOR THE SU 76.

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Fantastic work John, wish I had more time to do such detailed work on such a large scale.
BRAVO!

Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
NEWS FLASH !!!!!!!!!
Reports are coming in to Race Towers of a fire in a building.
Our correspondent Ivor Burnesky will be sending a report with photos later this evening ....

Your News Correspondent Ivor Burnesky is in hospital with smoke inhalation!

So here is an eye witness report.....
"Yeh, the building just went kind'a whoosh! It was crackling and all that. Just before the fire started I saw a shadowy figure running away from the building. he was wearing a white 'T' shirt with matching hair, a bit like mine really, but more of it - I didn't get a look at his face. Gorr'a go, I have to pick up the 69 with fried rice I've ordered from Mr. Wonhunglo's take away. See ya!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Looking forward to seeing the burnt remains.

However on a serious note this building is awesome. The windows look fantastic. I will look forward to seeing the finished article. A real show stopper mate.

Now did the fire brigade turn up before you burnt down the whole of Race Towers??:smiling5:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Do we need to be worried.

No Paul we REME types can face anything.:smiling:

Fantastic work John, wish I had more time to do such detailed work on such a large scale.
BRAVO!

Jim

Thanks Jim ..... kind of you to say, when you think about slowing down ,( notice I didn't say retire ) you will be able too

Earlier this afternoon the IMG_4270.JPG.

was nicked from the kitchen.

Timbers well alight.
IMG_4271.JPG
IMG_4273.JPG sprayed with a fine sprayer, still glowing in the bottom right, thought that was spotted and dealt with.
IMG_4274.JPG
Back of building well alight, I used a pipet to put some meths on the front of the floor and in the roof.
The ally foil really suffered, very pleased with the resulting damage. It was quickly sprayed after this shot.

IMG_4276.jpg F1.jpg
Shot from under neath looking up into the roof, again pleased with the results, the burnt joists and the bare ends give the impression of the floor breaking away.

IMG_4277.jpgF2.jpg
Since these shots I have done the roof in some washes, brown around the melted copper , then a green over the rest of the roof, with a white mixed in.

IMG_4279.JPG
Nice charring :surprised::smiling2:
IMG_4280.JPG Remains for the floor, after drying.

IMG_4282.JPG
Windows being painted.Took two coats to get coverage. Shattered glass to be cut and fitted next.
IMG_4267.JPG
Off the cuff unit made from balsa, and a couple of coats of new wood from MIG. This will be half buried in the right hand room.
All turned out well , no one injured, or damage to the area where the fire took place. Out of the cave and house. !

Comments, money, welcome.

Dzhon Burnisky

Stalingrad Pyrotechnics Ltd
Stalingrad.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Well done mate!! Glad everything came out unscathed. I hope your eyebrows didnt get singed. I take it you and Ron will be setting up your own pyrotechnics support group??:smiling3::cool::thumb2:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well done mate!! Glad everything came out unscathed. I hope your eyebrows didnt get singed. I take it you and Ron will be setting up your own pyrotechnics support group??:smiling3::cool::thumb2:

Yes thank you Steve, all hair intact. Ron and I are going to contract to the film industry as consultants,. The mere mention of consultants will treble your fees, even if you know nothing. I've met some before, hadn't got a clue about timber. !:flushed::tongue-out3:

JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Your News Correspondent Ivor Burnesky is in hospital with smoke inhalation!

So here is an eye witness report.....
"Yeh, the building just went kind'a whoosh! It was crackling and all that. Just before the fire started I saw a shadowy figure running away from the building. he was wearing a white 'T' shirt with matching hair, a bit like mine really, but more of it - I didn't get a look at his face. Gorr'a go, I have to pick up the 69 with fried rice I've ordered from Mr. Wonhunglo's take away. See ya!

Ron, comrade Ivor Burnesky has been released and sent to a psychiatric hospital in llandeilo, suffering from extreme shock. Meanwhile The shadowy figure has been grated asylum in the Peruvian Embassy.
Yours 453

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi John
Great success with the burn up. A most realistic result.
You'll like that Precision Ice and Snow stuff. I've used it a few times - very effective.
Jim

Reactions: JR

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
And when will you return to the scene of the crime? This looks like the work of 570.
Are you sure this wasn't a contract job? Came out awfully nice John! Can't wait to see what
comes next. Cheers, Rick H.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
John,
Just caught up with this build, started at the beginning and followed through, brilliant build so far, and will put info into my save box for the future.
Cheers
Mike.
ps, nurse said I can play with matches as long as they are rubber ones...

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Never thought of actually burning something to get a burnt effect:thinking:

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks guys, more to come when I get up ! :smiling2::smiling2:
Sent fom the bed of Dzhon at Race Towers , who has just been served an eviction notice from Management ! :sad: and I was nice and warm too .

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi John
Great success with the burn up. A most realistic result.
You'll like that Precision Ice and Snow stuff. I've used it a few times - very effective.
Jim
Thanks Jim.......... I shall no doubt PM you when just before I start for any tips that you have if that's ok .

Nice work john

Thanks Colin..

And when will you return to the scene of the crime? This looks like the work of 570.
Are you sure this wasn't a contract job? Came out awfully nice John! Can't wait to see what
comes next. Cheers, Rick H.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
Cheers Rick, in fact It was me , 570 was at home eating his No 69 from his local Chinese.

Tovarisch ZHON that is FABULOUS.....SUPER REALISTIC....

Spaseebe Comrade Grigory .

John,
Just caught up with this build, started at the beginning and followed through, brilliant build so far, and will put info into my save box for the future.
Cheers
Mike.
ps, nurse said I can play with matches as long as they are rubber ones...

Thanks Mike, glad you've had a complete read through, no wonder Nurse says you can only have rubber matches :flushed:

Never thought of actually burning something to get a burnt effect:thinking:

Ron I first did it on one of my early builds, I wanted some chared timber ends on some seats, worked a treat. Quick use of the water spray is a must, light it and spray within seconds, or you will have a nice pile of ash and be :angry:

Flame on Mr Race...flame on..LOVE the results
Thanks Joe :thumb2:.

Comrade Sparky Pyromanov strikes again!:rolling:

Ha :smiling::smiling::smiling: yes indeed thanks Graeme.

Right away we go.

Settle down in the back please ! questions will be asked at the end .

Today I decided to put the building on the base, this time I was not going to spend hrs doing stone sets and paving only to cover it all up as I have done in the past and leaving about 2% showing. So only did the front.

IMG_4300.JPG
Since this was photoed I have put back the broken section of slab.

First I had to put some cracks into the brick work internally on the damaged window, a few cuts and some paint seems to have done the trick. I will use the method of joining two sheets of 5 mm foam board again, leaving the paper on the inside sheets certainly is the way , as it gives such strength.
_MG_4295.JPG
The cracks to the left and right under the window are real, its the center ones that were painted in.

This shot is from last night as I glued in the front

_MG_4290.JPG its the center ones that were painted in. Two bars of steel one inside and one out holding that wall section. My normal clamps weren't wide enough for the side, so some old workshop ones were used.

_MG_4292.JPG
I like the split in the center, done with the scalpel and then pushed from the back. Glass was cut into shape then CA'd onto the wood .

_MG_4293.JPG
I did these yesterday, leaving them to harden off over night .

IMG_4285.JPG
Yes looks normal to me, but soon it was like this !

IMG_4298.JPG
As I used the hair dryer to take of the paper on the foam board the fan blew all the timbers and other debris all over the place. Ha I thought no better time to clean up then. Jim please note Management had no idea this was happening.:smiling:
Moving swiftly on before I am barred from the untidy bench club annual tip to the rubbish tip to enjoy the sights .

_MG_4312.JPG
Look quite tidy, but not for long !

This is the damaged roof photo, several layers of paint and pigment after the Mr Hobby metal primer had dried over night.
_MG_4315.JPG
The back ground is clear at the moment, tomorrow I think a layer of wall filler to build up the depth and then the placing of the debris.
Thanks as always for following, now the question..............hoe thick was the foam board.
Answers to Ron Spanner in sealed pm's

John.
Off to cook.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Good evening Mr R,
Well I’m utterly blown away with what you’ve done, I mean, cleaning up must of taken a lot of effort after sliding out of bed at nearly lunchtime you lazy beggar:smiling5:

Joking aside, that is looking superbly ruined mate....very impressed indeed :thumb2::thumb2: