Building process of an AMR 1/43 white metal race car kit

Michelnou

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michel
Hello,

I work on an old AMR Ferrari BB 512 Le Mans 1981, white metal, 1/43 kit and I am hesitant about the method to build, prepare and paint this scale model.

AMR BB512 1981.JPG

Concerning the rear wing of this Ferrari Berlinette, at what stage of assembly should it be fixed on the hood,

- before the first coat of primer on the bodywork ?

- before the last coat of primer on the bodywork ?

- before the first coat of color paint on the bodywork ?

- or paint this wing separately and glue it to the bodywork before varnishing ?

Thank you in advance for your advice

Cheers

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
If the wing is a seperate item and will fit in place without a struggle, the leave it off untill the end.
Prime all parts at the same time.
Paint all the parts with the top coat.
If you are using the manufacturers paint from a spray can then apply in thin coats and rub down with fine wet & dry paper with plenty of water. Same with the primer, it needs polishing down to a smooth coat, then your top coat will cover better.
When attaching the wing use a small amount of C/A (superglue).

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good advice from Mike. What I would add is this. White metal does not have the greatest surface. It can be quite rough and this will show under a gloss paint finish. I would therefore follow Mikes advice, but use several primer coats, rubbing each coat back with wet and dry paper used wet (as Mike says) until you get a surface you are happy with. The top coat should then go on much more uniformly and smooth.

Michelnou

SMF Supporter
First Name
Michel
I thank you for your advices.
It is certain that to paint separatly the bodywork and the rear wing make the job easier for painting the rear of the body (primers, colour coat and clear coat). By the way maybe is it impossible or very diffficult to paint the rear of the body with the wing in place ? What is your opinion on this subject ?
On the other hand, I believe that the bonding before painting would be more efficient with metal/metal contact.
How to glue two white-metal elements, each covered with primers, colour coat and clear coat, without leaving a visible trace ?
The choice of the method is not so easy...